News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interview With The Vampire

Started by Ed Vette, October 03, 2022, 03:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weeze

yesterday I saw number 3 of the show so I think I'm caught up! Lets see where it goes now.
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

Sem

I streamed the first episode last night. Mostly enjoyed it, at least enough to watch the next one.

Jclayton92

I just finished house of the dragon, the LOTR show, and a few others so I was looking for something new to watch thanks for the recommend. I consume a lot of shows/films as I work in the business so it's hard to find things sometimes.

Slugsy-Narrows

Watched the first two episodes last night.

I like how they are doing this.  Fairly close to the book with this being an "Interview" of Luis telling his tale of being turned to a vampire and then the time after, how Lestat manipulated and controlled him and how devious and brutal a man Lestat was.

The main deviation from the book is that Louis was never black and I don't recall Louis owning and working running whore houses is New Orleans.  I could be wrong about the 2nd part as I last read this book in the 1990's.  So I may have forgotten that part.

The "new" Louis story line worked though and didn't feel forced or cheapen and lessen the story line.

I also like how they updated it to today and have the interview going on in modern day at the height of Covid.

So far this is well done.  Louis is a bit of a complainer in the book about having to kill and they captured that and Lestat in the book is brutal and manipulative just as in the show.

So far very well done!  Can't wait to watch the next and see where it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

This last episode was absolutely brutal and opened the door for a new takeoff. Really enjoying it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

weeze

Great show?
DO we know what the plan is for it? I mean when will it be back and what time, day, etc?

LennG

I haven't participated in this thread as I was copying all the episodes to watch together. I have finally started and have 2 under my belt and hope to finish by this weekend. Then I'll read this from the beginning and chime in.

BTW, I have always loved Vampire shows, movies etc, so I am expecting good things from this. 
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on November 18, 2022, 04:51:24 PMI haven't participated in this thread as I was copying all the episodes to watch together. I have finally started and have 2 under my belt and hope to finish by this weekend. Then I'll read this from the beginning and chime in.

BTW, I have always loved Vampire shows, movies etc, so I am expecting good things from this. 
Same here, kind of. I'm using the AMC app, on-demand, to watch episodes. I think I've watched 4 so far, maybe 5. For me I feel it's OK, but not great as it really hasn't grabbed me yet. I'll keep watching the rest of season 1 though.

Like Len, I also like vampire movies. The 1931 classic with Bela Lugosi is one of my favorites. But I think my absolute favorite blood-sucking film is the Swedish film Let the Right One In. It's the only vampire movie that kept me thinking about it for days, if not weeks after watching it. It's not in English so you have to read along, but there's really not a lot of dialog. It was just outstanding.

LennG

OK, I have finished the series, and here are my thoughts. First, I have not read the book or books, but I have seen the original movie with Tom Cruise and hated it.

As I said before, I am a huge fan of vampire movies et al, so I went into this with great anticipation. I thoroughly enjoyed the first couple of chapters, but after that, I felt it dragged a lot in the middle few chapters. I liked the characters but it felt very dreary and way too talky. In the beginning, I couldn't wait to watch the next chapter, but around chapters 4-6 I was wondering why I am staying with this. If I wasn't that huge vampire fan, I would have turned it off. I liked the young lady character as she added something that was missing between the two guys. I did enjoy the last chapter very much. This last chapter was engrossing and very well done. I also enjoyed the final ending, with Louis and Claudia thinking they had done away with Lestat, but NO, he is still with us, feasting on those rats.

Maybe it was the homosexual aspect of the entire thing that I found a bit boring. I understand their relationship, but again, I didn't feel it added anything to the storyline.

If they make another season, I will probably watch and see how it goes.

AND, my one question for all vampire people. Why did they have to sleep in their coffins, instead of in a regular bed, since the room was darkened and no sun could get in? In the original Dracula, he had his coffin shipped to where he was because it contained earth from his home that he needed to sleep in. But in most vampire movies, the vampire is always sleeping in a coffin, and I always wondered why. A nice soft bed would do them more good, especially for those late-night snacks.    :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

weeze

well I guess its because they have to sleep or do something daily along with the soil form ther3e homeland. When you think about it, after the original story and he left to go to England, he was always away from his home.
 When you say your sort of a fan of Drac movies I hope your including all those "Hammer Films" with Christopher Lee and , brain fart, the guy who played his enemy, um the one vampire killer, VAN HELSING, that's it.... Peter Cushing was his name. there is a bunch of those. On a side note those two guys did, in my opinion the best "Hound of the Baskervilles". I for some reason latched onto that story line and have always loved it. What a great story that is.
 Another side note, I remember when I found out that Dracula was a novel written around the turn of the century. as a child I always thought all the Vampire type tales were old folk tales form Rumania and that area. SO when I found out it was "just a book" I was so disappointed. Up until I found out the story's origin I thought it was like the Yeti, the loch ness story or even UFOs . remember this was as a child. 60 years later it seems like that sort of thing, the bigfoot, Jersey Devil, Mothman, some of the UFO tales continue on.
 Happy Thanks giving to everyone. If you can, spend it with family because you just don't know when things are going to be different!

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 30, 2022, 01:14:17 PMI just finished house of the dragon, the LOTR show, and a few others so I was looking for something new to watch thanks for the recommend. I consume a lot of shows/films as I work in the business so it's hard to find things sometimes.
Both those shows were really good too!  I am watching more and more of the alternate channels/subscriptions based programming then traditional tv from the usual stations.  Way better story telling and movie quality special effects. 

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 18, 2022, 11:31:14 AMThis last episode was absolutely brutal and opened the door for a new takeoff. Really enjoying it.
Ed

It was and was pretty close in premise that I recall to the book.

I am happy with this so far and can only say I wish it was longer.

At this pace they will complete the "book" storyline in 2 maybe 3 seasons depending on how they drag it out.

Then it will be interesting to see how they move forward as the next book in the series is The Vampire Lester.  If this continues how it season 1 is going I'd be interested in seeing that made into a series as well

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: LennG on November 22, 2022, 03:18:39 PMOK, I have finished the series, and here are my thoughts. First, I have not read the book or books, but I have seen the original movie with Tom Cruise and hated it.

As I said before, I am a huge fan of vampire movies et al, so I went into this with great anticipation. I thoroughly enjoyed the first couple of chapters, but after that, I felt it dragged a lot in the middle few chapters. I liked the characters but it felt very dreary and way too talky. In the beginning, I couldn't wait to watch the next chapter, but around chapters 4-6 I was wondering why I am staying with this. If I wasn't that huge vampire fan, I would have turned it off. I liked the young lady character as she added something that was missing between the two guys. I did enjoy the last chapter very much. This last chapter was engrossing and very well done. I also enjoyed the final ending, with Louis and Claudia thinking they had done away with Lestat, but NO, he is still with us, feasting on those rats.

Maybe it was the homosexual aspect of the entire thing that I found a bit boring. I understand their relationship, but again, I didn't feel it added anything to the storyline.

If they make another season, I will probably watch and see how it goes.

AND, my one question for all vampire people. Why did they have to sleep in their coffins, instead of in a regular bed, since the room was darkened and no sun could get in? In the original Dracula, he had his coffin shipped to where he was because it contained earth from his home that he needed to sleep in. But in most vampire movies, the vampire is always sleeping in a coffin, and I always wondered why. A nice soft bed would do them more good, especially for those late-night snacks.    :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Lenn

I read the books and I don't think it ever explained to my recollection why they HAVE TO sleep in a coffin other then just sticking with Lore!!!! 

As for the middle episodes dragging this seems to be a theme in these series.  The middle shows seems to fill in and build up and explain or over explain at times.

Unlike a movie that only has 2 hrs on avg to tell a story and keep it moving these shows tend to have an opportunity to add more info and depth which can draw it out a bit.  Also unlike a TV show where the episode ends in an hour and next week it starts again this is building more and more.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 23, 2022, 09:40:37 AMEd

It was and was pretty close in premise that I recall to the book.

I am happy with this so far and can only say I wish it was longer.

At this pace they will complete the "book" storyline in 2 maybe 3 seasons depending on how they drag it out.

Then it will be interesting to see how they move forward as the next book in the series is The Vampire Lester.  If this continues how it season 1 is going I'd be interested in seeing that made into a series as well

Did the book have the gay love affair of Louie and Lestat?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 23, 2022, 10:11:50 AMDid the book have the gay love affair of Louie and Lestat?
Yes

And others. 

Anne Rice I guess was ahead of her time lol