News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Marvin Harrison Jr, anyone?

Started by andrew_nyGiants, October 29, 2022, 03:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP44

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2022, 12:03:34 PMThe WR who is really on my radar for the Giants is TCU's Quentin Johnston.  He's 6'4" 210 with 4.4 speed, 42" vertical.  He's an athletic freak.  Runs good routes and great acceleration.  Averaging like 20 YPC each season in college.

He is going to be the first WR taken. He's flying up the boards.

Blue Fire

Who is the list right now for top WRs in the college game? A WR and/or CB I think right now as it is trending will likely be in the mix for our top 2-3 picks.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2022, 12:09:36 PMAgreed and far more importantly I think the new regime agrees as well. They went out of their way to avoid players with material injury histories in this past draft, and they constantly bring up tough/smart/dependable. So I'm guessing they won't be prioritizing Smith-Njigba if he's even available when they pick.

I am starting to think healthy hamstrings to a WR are like healthy vocal chords to an opera singer.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 31, 2022, 12:14:22 PMWho is the list right now for top WRs in the college game? A WR and/or CB I think right now as it is trending will likely be in the mix for our top 2-3 picks.

I agree that WR and CB will be high on the list of priority positions for the Giants at or near the top of the draft.

PFF just put out a very recent article (Oct 26) listing its top 5 receivers right now in college football who will be available in the 2023 draft. Those top five are:

1. Quentin Johnstin
2. Jordan Addison
3. Jaxon Smith-Njigba
4. Josh Downs
5. Kayshon Boutte

Here is the article:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-tight-end-prospects

That list could obviously look different come draft day, and there are other receivers I like in this class like the Tennessee receivers and Zay Flowers on BC, but that give you an idea of who some of the top names are and why.

Blue Fire

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2022, 01:05:24 PMI agree that WR and CB will be high on the list of priority positions for the Giants at or near the top of the draft.

PFF just put out a very recent article (Oct 26) listing its top 5 receivers right now in college football who will be available in the 2023 draft. Those top five are:

1. Quentin Johnstin
2. Jordan Addison
3. Jaxon Smith-Njigba
4. Josh Downs
5. Kayshon Boutte

Here is the article:

That list could obviously look different come draft day, and there are other receivers I like in this class like the Tennessee receivers and Zay Flowers on BC, but that give you an idea of who some of the top names are and why.

Nice thanks. We need another 'Hakeem Nicks' a stud we find outside the top 20 potentially that is productive very early in his career.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2022, 01:05:24 PMI agree that WR and CB will be high on the list of priority positions for the Giants at or near the top of the draft.

1. Quentin Johnstin
2. Jordan Addison
3. Jaxon Smith-Njigba
4. Josh Downs
5. Kayshon Boutte

Here is the article:

I think Boutte is a fraud. I think people got too hyped on him, and Jordan Addison is only 6,0 174 he's tiny

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 31, 2022, 01:30:43 PMI think Boutte is a fraud. I think people got too hyped on him, and Jordan Addison is only 6,0 174 he's tiny

Boutte is totally a fraud.  Bad attitude diva type player.  Stay away.

Football now is more about athletic freaks with internal drive.  That's why Johnston is so high on ny radar.  I want a DKetcalf type player who can just own his opponent.  Giants need that.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 31, 2022, 01:30:43 PMI think Boutte is a fraud. I think people got too hyped on him, and Jordan Addison is only 6,0 174 he's tiny

That's definitely on the small side.

Tennesee's receiver Cedric Tillman is a bigger bodied guy who I think has some ability and can be obtained at least on day two most likely. I am not sure just yet if I think he has star potential in the NFL but I do like him.

Their other receiver Hyatt is good too but he's 175.

I do agree we need a downfield threat. With Wan'Dale there already I don't want to get sucked into drafting another 170-175 pound slot guy. Size isn't everything, but we definitely need a guy who can get open downfield. Not a jitterbug that you throw short slants to.

I wouldn't mind it if we drafted two receivers in the next draft.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2022, 04:40:06 PMThat's definitely on the small side.

Tennesee's receiver Cedric Tillman is a bigger bodied guy who I think has some ability and can be obtained at least on day two most likely. I am not sure just yet if I think he has star potential in the NFL but I do like him.

Their other receiver Hyatt is good too but he's 175.

I do agree we need a downfield threat. With Wan'Dale there already I don't want to get sucked into drafting another 170-175 pound slot guy. Size isn't everything, but we definitely need a guy who can get open downfield. Not a jitterbug that you throw short slants to.

I wouldn't mind it if we drafted two receivers in the next draft.

Agree.  We need two.

Jclayton92

I really like the TCU kid but TCU Wrs scare me. They get drafted high and do nothing.

Would love for us to get Mingo from Ole Miss with that extra 3rd he's 6'2 225 runs a 4.45, is excellent at blocking, and absolutely dominant wr no one knows because of the QB Ole Miss has, he's a 5 star Qb but he's basically a freshman. The one game they threw it to him was the Vanderbilt game a couple weeks ago, he had 9 catches for 247 yards and 2 TDs. He's in that Metcalf AJ Brown physical mold. AJ And DK spend a ton of time their getting the Ole Miss Wrs ready for the league, it's why they keep pumping them out.

madbadger

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on October 31, 2022, 07:22:15 PMBad year to need two.

So many mid-rounders who are not on top radar end up being productive WRs.  It's a position in which players really need seasoning to unlock their potential.  Look at 2022 WR leaders in receptions:

1) Tyreek Hill - 5th round
2) Cooper Kupp - 3rd round
3) Stefon Diggs - 5th round
4) Austin Ekeler - RB
5) Justin Jefferson - 1st round
6) Michael Pittman - 2nd round
7) JaMarr Chase - 1st round
8) Travis Kelce - TE
9) Tyler Lockett - 3rd round
10) Marquise Brown - 1st round
11) Diontae Johnson - 3rd round
12) Christian McCaffrey - RB
13) Mark Andrews - TE
13) Ceedee Lamb - 1st round
14) Curtis Samuel - 2nd round
15) Jaylen Waddle - 1st round

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2022, 10:23:16 PMSo many mid-rounders who are not on top radar end up being productive WRs.  It's a position in which players really need seasoning to unlock their potential.  Look at 2022 WR leaders in receptions:

4) Austin Ekeler - RB
8) Travis Kelce - TE
13) Mark Andrews - TE

I think the big takeaway from that (and past data) is that you don't have to draft a receiver in the first round, but if you need one and you wait until day three the field is likely to be picked through by then, barring the occasional gem that slips through the cracks.

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2022, 10:23:16 PMSo many mid-rounders who are not on top radar end up being productive WRs.  It's a position in which players really need seasoning to unlock their potential.  Look at 2022 WR leaders in receptions:

4) Austin Ekeler - RB
8) Travis Kelce - TE
13) Mark Andrews - TE

Maybe but the hit to miss ratio gets worse with each passing round. If you're hanging your hopes on finding the next Tyreke Hill in this coming draft is a fools errand simply because guys like him don't happen very often even in great receiver drafts. Could we find a star in the middle rounds this year. Big question is how likely that is to happen. 

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on October 31, 2022, 10:39:59 PMMaybe but the hit to miss ratio gets worse with each passing round. If you're hanging your hopes on finding the next Tyreke Hill in this coming draft is a fools errand simply because guys like him don't happen very often even in great receiver drafts. Could we find a star in the middle rounds this year. Big question is how likely that is to happen. 

The counter is so many 1st round WRs never become more than average.  Just saying if number of 1st round prospects looks thin, I would not worry.