News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Blake Martinez Retires

Started by Rambo89, November 10, 2022, 02:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

I guess the Giants knew what they were doing with him
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 10, 2022, 02:55:17 PMI guess the Giants knew what they were doing with him

That's for sure. Wow. Wasn't expecting this. I figured this would just be a tough year for him but then next year he'd be fine and could get one more good contract.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 10, 2022, 03:34:50 PMThat's for sure. Wow. Wasn't expecting this. I figured this would just be a tough year for him but then next year he'd be fine and could get one more good contract.

My best guess-  Either the injury robbed him of enough athleticism that he couldn't play at the same level, or he lost his passion for the game (or both)h
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uni

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 10, 2022, 03:37:10 PMMy best guess-  Either the injury robbed him of enough athleticism that he couldn't play at the same level, or he lost his passion for the game (or both)h

I'm not questioning his decision obviously, but if it were the first of your two reasons, how would he know that at this stage? Based on what we saw from Barkley it can take two years to fully recover from this.

I can see how getting hurt, missing all of the 2021 season, and then basically getting told to take a huge pay cut and then getting cut after that, and THEN not playing very well on your next team, who has an awful year that year could sap you of your desire to play this game anymore. He definitely has had a rough go of it the last couple seasons.

I think it also underscores the extent to which Barkley persevered through his injury and through the brutal year he had last year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 10, 2022, 03:44:31 PMI'm not questioning his decision obviously, but if it were the first of your two reasons, how would he know that at this stage? Based on what we saw from Barkley it can take two years to fully recover from this.

I can see how getting hurt, missing all of the 2021 season, and then basically getting told to take a huge pay cut and then getting cut after that, and THEN not playing very well on your next team, who has an awful year that year could sap you of your desire to play this game anymore. He definitely has had a rough go of it the last couple seasons.

I think it also underscores the extent to which Barkley persevered through his injury and through the brutal year he had last year.

I once had a shoulder issue, and the doctor I was sent to was one of the doctors the Giants used (the waiting room decked out in Giants memorabilia and photos tipped me off).   This was some years back, and the Giants had lost a couple of promising players to ACL tears.   I asked the doctor about this, and he told me with serious injuries, there is usually some loss of athleticism.  The elite athletes can afford to lose a little and still play.  The players with borderline abilities tend to struggle to return.

Perhaps the funniest part of this story was I was so eager to hear about the Giants and the medical side of football that I nearly forgot to ask him about my shoulder.  I think our conversation was like 96% Giants and 4% my shoulder.  :doh:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

I liked Martinez playing for us. He was a tackling machine.
Best of luck to him.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 10, 2022, 02:54:29 PMhttps://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1590792086747389954?s=61&t=3F1RjZFLCPDO9e4OH6IXbghttps://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1590792094511206414?s=61&t=3F1RjZFLCPDO9e4OH6IXbg

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1590792086747389954?

Pretty clear that Schoen and the Giants knew the condition that he was in and that is why he was cut.
And ppl freaked when the Giants let him walk!

Just another reason to start believing in the JS process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jclayton92