News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones Vs Justin Fields

Started by Philosophers, November 16, 2022, 12:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

You cannot view this attachment.

Here's a comparison between the two.  I think it is interesting because both QBs have suffered with subpar offensive lines when it comes to pass blocking.  Here's a 4th year QB versus a 2nd year QB.  I don't have a horse in this race but am posting it for discussion purposes.

H-Town G-Fan

Many may not use Excel (or another spreadsheet viewer), so here's an image:

EDIT: And just so you know, you can do this type of compare directly from Football Reference's compare tool: see example here. Though I see you've also included Total QBR, which isn't present in this link (though Football Reference does have it available).

Philosophers

Thank you for re-doing it so the stats could be seen.  I had hoped that my linking it, the result would be that the stats would be embedded into the post like what you have done.  Perfect.

Uni

It was very apparent that the Bears played the Giants in week 5 and then installed the same RG3-style offense for the Patriots game. It seems the Giants have been moving away from read options and planned QB runs as their opponents have started clamping down on Jones using his legs whereas Fields has started running wild. Perhaps defenses will catch up with Fields as well.

state_property

Quote from: Philosophers on November 16, 2022, 12:27:02 PMYou cannot view this attachment.

Here's a comparison between the two.  I think it is interesting because both QBs have suffered with subpar offensive lines when it comes to pass blocking.  Here's a 4th year QB versus a 2nd year QB.  I don't have a horse in this race but am posting it for discussion purposes.

Daniel Jones has 3 picks and 3 fumbles
Justin Fields has 7 picks and 12 fumbles

Uni

Since the new offense was installed, Fields has thrown 2 INT in 4 games. He had thrown 6 in 7. He had thrown 4 TD in 7 games, he has thrown 8 in the last 4. He had 6 fumble in the first 7 games, 5 in the last 4 although he had 4 of those in a single game against the Pats.

nb587

My theory with Jones is that they are not running him in designed plays as much as previously because they don't want him to get hurt.  Maybe the Seattle game had something to do with it but if Jones misses time going down the stretch, it would make the decision Schoen has to make much more difficult. I'm in the camp that the decision on what to do with Jones going forward has not been made.

Now, if the Giants get in the playoffs, then I think all bets are off and we'll see the run option again if it's there.

kingm56

Quote from: state_property on November 16, 2022, 02:33:02 PMDaniel Jones has 3 picks and 3 fumbles
Justin Fields has 7 picks and 12 fumbles

Sure, DJ also plays with the NFLs #1 RB and #1 or 2 LT.  Give those assets to Fields and I bet it reduces his picks and fumbles, even if you swapped Money for Slayton.  While you're augmenting stats, why didn't include the rushing stats?

JF:  749 yards/6 TD.  #1 in the NFL
DJ:  387 yards/3 TD.   

I wonder if this puts things into perspective for the DJ is a top 5 QB crowd?

kingm56

Quote from: Uni on November 16, 2022, 02:56:07 PMSince the new offense was installed, Fields has thrown 2 INT in 4 games. He had thrown 6 in 7. He had thrown 4 TD in 7 games, he has thrown 8 in the last 4. He had 6 fumble in the first 7 games, 5 in the last 4 although he had 4 of those in a single game against the Pats.

Fields also just started his 20th game; conversely, DJ is about to make his 50th start.  The fact we're comparing a 2nd to 4 year starter should tell posters everything they need to know.

Painter

As I said quite recently, I have very little interest in comparing any one player with another given the differences in circumstances, changing or not, as most often it proves little in regard to winning and losing in an otherwise volatile team sport.

Cheers!

Ed Vette

I like Justin Fields and think he will develop into a very good QB. The ceiling is high.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin