News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFL Drops per Team Through Week 10

Started by Rambo89, November 18, 2022, 09:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Interesting that while not great teams whose passing games have produced significantly more yardage than the Giants have had more drops than the Giants have.  For all the criticism the Giants receivers have gotten they haven't been nearly as bad as they've been made out to be.You cannot view this attachment.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

While I appreciate that this will not be a welcome comment, I find raw drop rates to be pretty much useless.   In order to compare teams, you should be comparing drops per pass attempt rather than just drops. 

For example

the Bucs have 20 drops on 428 attempts

The Giants have 15 drops on 240 attempts

If you don't do the work, it looks like the Bucs are plagued more by drops.  However, if you compare drops per attempt

.047 for the Bucs

against

.0625 for the Giants

So the reality is that the Giants are impacted significantly more by drops than the Bucs on a per pass basis.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

My comment is along the lines of what Rich posted, without the data  :D

Not criticizing the game plan or scheme each week - just noting that the Giants don't employ a pass-heavy offense.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on November 18, 2022, 10:22:21 AMMy comment is along the lines of what Rich posted, without the data  :D

Not criticizing the game plan or scheme each week - just noting that the Giants don't employ a pass-heavy offense.

Tim,

There is a funny story behind why I said my comments were not going to be welcome.   When I was a young man, I worked at a hospital, and I was on their safety committee, which was chaired by one of the vice presidents.  At one meeting, the VP was bragging about how employee incidents had dropped 10% last month.   I started laughing, and the VP asked me what was so funny.   I pointed out that the committee only reported on the raw number of incidents and that the 10% drop in incidents preciously matched the 10% layoff they had just had.   Needless to say, the VP didn't find it nearly as humorous as I did.  Oh, the freedom of youth, when I did fun things because I didn't know any better.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: T200 on November 18, 2022, 10:22:21 AMMy comment is along the lines of what Rich posted, without the data  :D

Fair point. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

H-Town G-Fan

For context--and mainly because I don't know what an abstracted percentage drop rate actually looks like in real terms--the difference in drop rate between Brady and Jones amounts to roughly 1 extra drop every two games when normalized for either DJ's historic usage or his 2022 attempt rate:

You can see that Jones's lower 2022 attempt rate actually reduces the real effect of this discrepancy (though only by .1 roughly, so a little less than two drops over the course of the season). But this is pretty intuitive: less passes, less passes to drop, less drops.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 18, 2022, 12:04:54 PMAs per PFF. Target/Receptions/%
A big improvement in that TE squad. Engram has 2 drops this season for 5.3%. Giants TE's 2.4%
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Thanks Rambo, Htown, and ED for the information. Not sure how actual stats and information on the team gets 1 star while a vanilla Vick thread thrives but thanks for trying to keep us informed guys.

Giant Obsession

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 18, 2022, 04:26:37 PMThanks Rambo, Htown, and ED for the information. Not sure how actual stats and information on the team gets 1 star while a vanilla Vick thread thrives but thanks for trying to keep us informed guys.

THANK YOU.  It is starting to become to me a very, very sad indictment of a segment of "our" population i.m.o.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 18, 2022, 10:14:05 AMWhile I appreciate that this will not be a welcome comment, I find raw drop rates to be pretty much useless.   In order to compare teams, you should be comparing drops per pass attempt rather than just drops. 

For example

the Bucs have 20 drops on 428 attempts

The Giants have 15 drops on 240 attempts

If you don't do the work, it looks like the Bucs are plagued more by drops.  However, if you compare drops per attempt

.047 for the Bucs

against

.0625 for the Giants

So the reality is that the Giants are impacted significantly more by drops than the Bucs on a per pass basis.

Damn Giants would be at almost 30 drops if they threw that much ... that's far exceeding Tampas ...ouch

BluesCruz

Golladay has 4 drops on 8 targets and 2 receptions

he is a one man drop machine

what stands out to me when I look at our passing stats is low INTs (3), and High Sacks (28)

Given time Jones is very accurate and makes very few mistakes- not to mention his rushing stats (very high)

I would guess our low attempts might have a lot to do with the sacks he is taking.  That needs to be fixed before we can "open up" the Offense

The sacks are getting somewhat better but the Seahawks pummeled him 5 times.  It used to be the sacks were more on Jones but he has gotten better pocket awareness......now we just need to block better

Golladay BTW had 4 drops and 70 completions in 2018.....something is wrong with this guy
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 19, 2022, 06:39:15 AMGolladay has 4 drops on 8 targets and 2 receptions

he is a one man drop machine

what stands out to me when I look at our passing stats is low INTs (3), and High Sacks (28)

Given time Jones is very accurate and makes very few mistakes- not to mention his rushing stats (very high)

I would guess our low attempts might have a lot to do with the sacks he is taking.  That needs to be fixed before we can "open up" the Offense

The sacks are getting somewhat better but the Seahawks pummeled him 5 times.  It used to be the sacks were more on Jones but he has gotten better pocket awareness......now we just need to block better

Golladay BTW had 4 drops and 70 completions in 2018.....something is wrong with this guy
And we all cheered when we dumped EE!  Hell I'd take him back over Galloday!  This may be the WORST FA signing in Giants history!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluesCruz

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 19, 2022, 08:26:13 AMAnd we all cheered when we dumped EE!  Hell I'd take him back over Galloday!  This may be the WORST FA signing in Giants history!

Gallowday cannot be this bad.  Either he has a vision impairment, a mental issue, or he just enjoys torturing us.  He had a down year before joining us.  Gettleman got this wrong, real wrong. Plus giving him all that guaranteed money  Oy Vay!!!

Didnt Engram make the pro bowl one year?  Not sure but I think I remember that.

On another note, our TE production has been awesome.  Just put Gallowday on the very end of the bench or pay him to stay home.  He is bad news :'(
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 19, 2022, 09:05:44 AMGallowday cannot be this bad.  Either he has a vision impairment, a mental issue, or he just enjoys torturing us.  He had a down year before joining us.  Gettleman got this wrong, real wrong. Plus giving him all that guaranteed money  Oy Vay!!!

Didnt Engram make the pro bowl one year?  Not sure but I think I remember that.

On another note, our TE production has been awesome.  Just put Gallowday on the very end of the bench or pay him to stay home.  He is bad news :'(
He is BC!

He isn't just this bad he is HORRENDOUS

AS for EE Pro Bowl appearance don't get me started!  That was just more proof that the pro bowl selection process is an absolute JOKE.

I am fine with Galloday riding the bench all season and just to go out there and block!