News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants VS Cowboys game thread

Started by MightyGiants, November 24, 2022, 12:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: Woody on November 24, 2022, 09:07:50 PMEli had a much better team around him.   Very good running game and good receivers. Plaxico Burress,  Armani Toomer ,Steve Smith and some good tight ends. .....I e talented receiving corp He also went to super bowls with 9 - 7 regular season record both times I believe....also
Had excellent o lines.  To protect him.....when his supporting cast went away so did his winning.....basically finished career with just over a 500 win loss record......
My point is that some critics here on Jones.   Would have treated Eli the same way even though in years 4 and 6 he won two super bowls in which he played very good....but like I said he had a good offensive team around him and a very very good defense that would keep giving ball back to offense in most games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In 2011 the Giants had the worst run offense in football.  The run-blocking was awful and the pass blocking was ok.  That was hardly a good offensive line.  The Giants didn't really have an elite offensive line until 08 with Eli.  Yes, it was solid in the 05-07 seasons probably slightly better than this one but it was hardly elite.

Receiving wise the big difference was the Giants having that true #1 receiver in Plax.  But Toomer was at the end of his career and Steve Smith was a 2nd round pick who Eli helped become a top receiver.

Bottom line the difference between the two players is the Eli had that "it" factor where you had confidence from 05-12 that if the Giants were down late you had confidence he could pass the ball down the field to lead the Giants to victory.  With Jones, yes he can run the ball down field but he hasn't shown enough consistently that he can throw it down field with the game on the line.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Slugsy-Narrows