News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

RIP Gaylord Perry

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, December 01, 2022, 01:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Gaylord Perry was one of my favorite pitchers to watch. As he aged, he figured out ever trick in the book to stay relevant and used Vaseline, sandpaper, tacks, etc., to get movement on his ball. He reportedly slid into home plate one time and a jar of Vaseline fell out of his pocket...LOL. He was finally fined and had to take time off after using what he called the "Puffer Ball". He would shake the resin pack until he got a handful of white resin dust, and he'd pack it in his hand. Then (wearing a long sleeved white tee shirt under his uniform), would release the ball during the pitch and the batter would have a hard time for a couple of nanoseconds, to see the ball as it was covered in a cloud of dust with the white tee shirt behind it. The pitch worked, but he eventually was punished for it. I think the old guy in the movie "Major League" who played the pitcher Dorn, was a spoof on Gaylord.

Anyway, he is/was a baseball legend and gave me many very enjoyable memories growing up. May he rest in peace  :(

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ozzie

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss