News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants VS Commanders game thread I

Started by MightyGiants, December 04, 2022, 12:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: Gman329 on December 04, 2022, 05:43:43 PMOnly if you think we'll end up with somebody better and I don't see that happening. Try to sign him for a year and maybe, just for the hell of it, get a few NFL caliber receivers.  I don't want to take a flyer on a college QB or sign a Free Agent (Jackson?) to a cap crunching contract.  If we can sign Jones to a one year deal for say, $20M, that's probably our best option.

I believe the Giants could end up with someone who has a much higher ceiling than Jones.  Jones's ceiling is limited even if the Giants add a #1 receiver.  Jones is never going to be the guy successful in a pass heavy offense.  He's a game manager. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

uconnjack8

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 04, 2022, 04:52:24 PMIt's not the whole coaching staff

Wink I think is doing what he can with what he has.

This is all on Kafka and his play calling and a woeful offense!  Which has been our Achilles all season.

D has kept us in games   I has squeaked out some and lost the rest.

This tie is on the O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul,

I agree the offense Bears more of this than the D.  I think Kafka's play calling was just fine.  Players didnt make plays that were there.   Whether you want to blame Slayton or Jones on the drop over the middle, the refs for Feliciano's penalty or other coaching issues on the botched 3rd down in OT, I don't think it was the plays that were called. 

The defense was the heroes, but even they left some plays on the field. 

Giantleap56

Quote from: kingm56 on December 04, 2022, 05:25:27 PMSo, you're going to penalize Slayton for making an athletic play to get both hands on the ball, while simultaneously absolving the QB for forcing HIM into that position?  If DJ was under pressure and/or this was the only spot he could deliver the ball, I could see your point. However, it was a clean pocket with no one was close to Slayton. It wasn't officially registered as a drop; so, the facts state the QB was culpable. 

Under 200 yards passing in the modern era is inexcusable; we're going on three years of this putrid output.

I'm not penalize anyone. There is a reason they are called athletes, they are called that because they do athletic things. Once again the Giants still had two downs to get a first down which was more important after the Slayton athletic drop to get instead of throwing down the field again.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 04, 2022, 07:33:34 PMPaul,

I agree the offense Bears more of this than the D.  I think Kafka's play calling was just fine.  Players didnt make plays that were there.   Whether you want to blame Slayton or Jones on the drop over the middle, the refs for Feliciano's penalty or other coaching issues on the botched 3rd down in OT, I don't think it was the plays that were called. 

The defense was the heroes, but even they left some plays on the field.
Kafkas play calling for me is not fine when the routes are all short and or flat and when he does go deep it's at the wrong time.

Doesn't use enough play action.

I get it He is limited by the talent he has which is lacking

But it's not exiting to watch or creative IMO

uconnjack8

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 04, 2022, 07:42:03 PMKafkas play calling for me is not fine when the routes are all short and or flat and when he does go deep it's at the wrong time.

Doesn't use enough play action.

I get it He is limited by the talent he has which is lacking

But it's not exiting to watch or creative IMO

I don't know what changed that gave Jones time to throw a couple downfield, but I could see why Kafka wasn't calling a lot of deep drops and long throws.

Its frustrating because it's open with teams keying on Barkley. 

Gman329

Quote from: Rambo89 on December 04, 2022, 07:09:46 PMI believe the Giants could end up with someone who has a much higher ceiling than Jones.  Jones's ceiling is limited even if the Giants add a #1 receiver.  Jones is never going to be the guy successful in a pass heavy offense.  He's a game manager. 

They need more than a #1 receiver.  One NFL caliber receiver won't cut it. They need a standard NFL caliber receiving group.  Right now, we have Slayton, a 3rd or 4th receiver type, and a bunch of practice squad guys.  Give Jones that, and continued improvement on the OL and I'd be MUCH more comfortable rolling with Jones next year over any QB we could get in the draft. Or Tyrod Taylor.  Only thing, it's no cinch that we can sign him to a short term deal for middling QB money. 

Giantleap56

The Giants offensive line, Running backs and receivers need to get back to basic training. Especially the OL very little holes being opened. And Gates should not be playing guard dude was getting tossed like a rag doll. He is a center and that's his position. The coaches gave this game away.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 04, 2022, 06:21:34 PMIs it me or does this TIE feel like we got robbed and it's actually a loss

More like they blew it and it's actually a loss.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: files58 on December 04, 2022, 06:23:37 PMWe all want to win. However remember this team has the worst record in the league the last five years. We are playing meaningful games in December. This roster has many holes, flaws, and is undertalented. Let's just try to be appreciative of their record to date as opposed to the last five Decembers.

As I've been arguing all along, the record was smoke and mirrors and while it feels great to win games, the way the games were won did not justify the level of optimism the record engendered.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MagicRat

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 04, 2022, 07:55:10 PMAs I've been arguing all along, the record was smoke and mirrors and while it feels great to win games, the way the games were won did not justify the level of optimism the record engendered.
This is the entire point.
At the start of the season I'd have said that we're a further two off seasons from January relevance.

The W/L record doesn't change that.
I've been delighted with the wins we've had this season, Jeez that day at Tottenham is one of the high points of my life, but if we make the playoffs I'd be very confident we'll be one and done.
That doesn't make me want to get there any less, Dabs taking this roster anywhere near the playoffs should put him in the conversation for coach of the year.

But we've been rotten for a long time and if we've learned one thing it's that there's no quick fix.

What happens with Jones and Barkley....no clue, I have reservations about both but I trust Schoen to do the right thing.

Point is, we're not OBJ away from being a January relevant roster.

We're two off-seasons of hard work away from being a January relevant roster.

In the meantime,  let's get on board and enjoy the ride.
Smell my cheese you mother!

kartanoman

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 04, 2022, 07:55:10 PMAs I've been arguing all along, the record was smoke and mirrors and while it feels great to win games, the way the games were won did not justify the level of optimism the record engendered.

"The New York Giants would like to apologize to its fans for our conduct unbecoming during the seven and one half victories aggregated during this rebuilding season. To the loyal fan base convinced we used smoke and mirrors to generate our accomplishments, all we can say is:

Did we earn any smoke & mirror style points? 😜

Please pick up your free medium Pepsi as you enter through the turnstiles next Sunday and enjoy the smoke & mirrors, er, um, game!

Yours truly, the New York Football Giants"

As Christopher Allen used to say, "And the beat goes on!"

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

killarich

Quote from: MagicRat on December 04, 2022, 08:10:28 PMThis is the entire point.
At the start of the season I'd have said that we're a further two off seasons from January relevance.

The W/L record doesn't change that.
I've been delighted with the wins we've had this season, Jeez that day at Tottenham is one of the high points of my life, but if we make the playoffs I'd be very confident we'll be one and done.
That doesn't make me want to get there any less, Dabs taking this roster anywhere near the playoffs should put him in the conversation for coach of the year.

But we've been rotten for a long time and if we've learned one thing it's that there's no quick fix.

What happens with Jones and Barkley....no clue, I have reservations about both but I trust Schoen to do the right thing.

Point is, we're not OBJ away from being a January relevant roster.

We're two off-seasons of hard work away from being a January relevant roster.

In the meantime,  let's get on board and enjoy the ride.

I can get with this logic

kartanoman

Quote from: killarich on December 04, 2022, 08:23:26 PMI can get with this logic

Me too. I'm tremendously looking forward to the remaining December games. They win, smoke & mirror style points aside (sorry AZ, not picking on you, just a light-hearted reply that it's not that bad), I'm ecstatic. If not, it's OK because they were going to lose all of them anyway, right?

At the end of the day, they tentatively hold a Wild Card spot. Let's see how they hold up next week. Hoping Williams is OK and can return.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)