News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

1982 starting offense

Started by MightyGiants, December 14, 2022, 07:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Jim

It looked like Harry Carson was in on TD play. Him and Brad Van Pelt were definitely on the field goal team.

I don't remember Cliff Chapman.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Giant Jim on December 14, 2022, 09:24:47 AMIt looked like Harry Carson was in on TD play. Him and Brad Van Pelt were definitely on the field goal team.

I don't remember Cliff Chapman.

I don't remember Cliff either
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

I remember the name but not the player. FB?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Sem on December 14, 2022, 11:40:41 AMI remember the name but not the player. FB?

Other than the TE and aforementioned Cliff, I am familiar with the rest
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 14, 2022, 12:06:14 PMOther than the TE and aforementioned Cliff, I am familiar with the rest

You don't remember Tom Mullady? He was the primary TE before Mowatt and Bavaro.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on December 14, 2022, 02:37:48 PMYou don't remember Tom Mullady? He was the primary TE before Mowatt and Bavaro.

No, like I said everyone else I am familiar with but Cliff and Mullady
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Thought I saw Gary Shirk out there also.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

Quote from: TDToomer on December 14, 2022, 02:37:48 PMYou don't remember Tom Mullady? He was the primary TE before Mowatt and Bavaro.

No!!!! You forget Gary Shirk was the man!

Forget Rich Umphrey! Ernie Huges was the real deal!

Cliff Chatman was a great pre-season player, but a backup at his best. Rob Carpenter was boss!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

TDToomer

Quote from: kartanoman on December 14, 2022, 08:14:59 PMNo!!!! You forget Gary Shirk was the man!

Forget Rich Umphrey! Ernie Huges was the real deal!

Cliff Chatman was a great pre-season player, but a backup at his best. Rob Carpenter was boss!

Peace!

Maybe prior to 82 but Mullany started all of the games in 8. I also do not remember Chatman. Carpenter must have been injured that game.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kartanoman

Quote from: TDToomer on December 14, 2022, 08:33:13 PMMaybe prior to 82 but Mullany started all of the games in 8. I also do not remember Chatman. Carpenter must have been injured that game.

Mullady started eight (8) of the nine (9) games; Gary Shirk started the ninth in 1982.

Cliff Chatman and rookie Joe Morris were fighting it out for the #2 runner while #1 draft pick, Butch Woolfolk, held the starting role. Rob Carpenter had no contract and was negotiating with George Young for over half of that strike-shortened season; he returned against his old team, the Oilers, but it was Butch Woolfolk's two (2) second half TDs which led the Giants to a come-from-behind win.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)