News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

ALL DANIEL JONES POSTS AND DISCUSSIONS HERE

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2022, 03:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Trench on December 29, 2022, 06:35:06 PMDon't need to go watch. I have. I totally disagree Eli didn't run and congratulate players. You are wrong on that!

What I saw Eli do is a lot of back n forth on sidelines. Most of the still shots of Jones are him sitting by himself or watching an iPad

Still shots don't tell the whole story.

killarich

How do we think Jones will do this Sunday ?

Is this the thread where chaos happened ? I haven't been here in a few

MightyGiants

Quote from: killarich on December 29, 2022, 08:03:53 PMHow do we think Jones will do this Sunday ?

Is this the thread where chaos happened ? I haven't been here in a few

It's hard to tell.   The Colts have a pretty good defense.   DJ has all his weapons, at whatever level that may be.   This will be another good test for him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on December 29, 2022, 05:35:08 PMThank you. It appears to me you are in the same camp as me - unsure yet.

If he checks a few more boxes I'm in for a 2 year deal (if he doesn't get greedy) because if he does then he isn't the person I thought he was and he can be sent packing on the first flight out. Leaders lead. Part of that is taking less of a piece for yourself so that others can also engage

I still need to see:

1. Finish string and remain heathy
2. Show us a confident scoring 2 minute drive before halftime
3. Show the emotion that everyone enjoyed
4. Win and get us to the playoffs and let us see u let loose!
5. Win (or out a scare) into someone in the playoff game

There is not much DJ needs to show me. I appreciate that being on the outside looking in, there is so much we don't know that the Giants do.   Perhaps the biggest is if the Giants offense is being held back because of the lack of protection and the lack of a number one WR or is it a lack of trust in DJ's abilities?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 30, 2022, 07:26:52 AMThere is not much DJ needs to show me. I appreciate that being on the outside looking in, there is so much we don't know that the Giants do.   Perhaps the biggest is if the Giants offense is being held back because of the lack of protection and the lack of a number one WR or is it a lack of trust in DJ's abilities?

It's a great debate and good problem to have regarding the Oline. I feel they have done a good job and have been balanced in terms of opening holes for RBs and giving Jones time. Not always of course - but a lot better than years past. I think seeing how Jones plays this week and hopefully during a playoff game is going to be telling.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 30, 2022, 10:38:43 AMhttps://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/giants/2022/12/29/daniel-jones-ny-giants-quarterback-nfl-playoffs/69761096007/

'He's making plays he hasn't made before': Inside Daniel Jones' maturation as Giants QB

It's been encouraging the last two games. He's made throwing attempts he hasn't made all season. If they win this game, I'd like to see them cut him loose against Philly.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

I like that he says he still has a lot of work to do to improve on certain things particularly when to go for it, check down, throw it away, or to run. It's all positive stuff

brownelvis54

So after what could be their first playoff season in forever, you want them to not resign a pair of former top 10 picks, and the two best offensive players they have? Bold take. If they do that, enjoy wasted draft capital replacing them and not
Improving the team anywhere else.
The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

Quote from: brownelvis54 on December 30, 2022, 03:54:05 PMSo after what could be their first playoff season in forever, you want them to not resign a pair of former top 10 picks, and the two best offensive players they have? Bold take. If they do that, enjoy wasted draft capital replacing them and not

Rob,

I think this an important aspect of the team's decisions.   After a decade of futility, the Giants finally have a good chance of making the playoffs.  If they make the playoffs, it will be a hard sell that they will essentially tear down the playoff team for yet another try at a rebuild
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: brownelvis54 on December 30, 2022, 03:54:05 PMSo after what could be their first playoff season in forever, you want them to not resign a pair of former top 10 picks, and the two best offensive players they have? Bold take. If they do that, enjoy wasted draft capital replacing them and not

Replacing the QB with the production they've gotten out of the passing game this season would not be that difficult.  IMO, they can get similar production at less of a cap hit than it would take to bring back Jones and that would just be if this new regime hasn't identified a QB in next season's draft.

On Barkley that would be a bigger hit and might be tougher to replace.  But remember with how banged up he's been there is no guarantee he'll give you a repeat season.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

AZGiantFan

Or, they could:

- let DJ go,

- tag Barkley (not my preference) or let him go and replace him with a lower cost committee,

- improve the team's roster significantly in 2023 and extend core players and squirrel some CAP space away by rolling it over to use for other upcoming extensions,

- ride with Tyrod for 2023, 

- and then draft your QB prospect into a much strengthened team in 2024 where the rookie has a far better chance to be successful than DJ was ever given.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

nb587

Did some of you forget that it  hasn't been like forever or a decade since the Giants made the playoffs?  2016 feels like a long time but its 6 years.  Too long but lots of teams haven't made the playoffs in lots more time.  And, I still believe that if not for that "outing" by the wide receivers, they could have or maybe should have won at least 1 game.

My thought with regard to Jones here is that this next game is the most important game in his young carer, same for Barkley (and lots of others). If Jones comes up big and the team wins, (and to some extent Barkley), that will go a long way towards answering the Jones critics.  If he has a bad game and the team loses what should be a winnable game at home, unless there are extenuating circumstances, the Jones crowd will have some explaining to do.  Thats true even if the Giants get in with a win against an Eagles team if they don't play their starters.  I'm on the fence about Jones going forward mainly because no one knows what his demands will be but a nice win that he plays a big part in will go a long way towards answering the questions.

Rambo89

Quote from: nb587 on December 30, 2022, 08:21:08 PMDid some of you forget that it  hasn't been like forever or a decade since the Giants made the playoffs?  2016 feels like a long time but its 6 years.  Too long but lots of teams haven't made the playoffs in lots more time.  And, I still believe that if not for that "outing" by the wide receivers, they could have or maybe should have won at least 1 game.

My thought with regard to Jones here is that this next game is the most important game in his young carer, same for Barkley (and lots of others). If Jones comes up big and the team wins, (and to some extent Barkley), that will go a long way towards answering the Jones critics.  If he has a bad game and the team loses what should be a winnable game at home, unless there are extenuating circumstances, the Jones crowd will have some explaining to do.  Thats true even if the Giants get in with a win against an Eagles team if they don't play their starters.  I'm on the fence about Jones going forward mainly because no one knows what his demands will be but a nice win that he plays a big part in will go a long way towards answering the questions.

I went back and forth with Slugs yesterday about this and whether winning a playoff game would change the position on whether to keep Jones.  For me it doesn't.  One game either way doesn't change what Jones has been and what he is and that is an average Starting QB.  He's not awful but he's also not anything special that couldn't be replaced.  Sure you could keep him and upgrade the line and receivers but IMO that will result in a marginal improvement in his production that won't justify the cap hit he will command or the additional resources you'll have to put into the supporting cast to prop him up.

But that's just me and I am not completely sure what Schoen, Brown and this new regime is thinking or the direction they want to go in.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

I've said they should roll with Tyrod next year

I personally think this is the better move because:

1. $5.5M vs $30M

2. Gives them a chance to build out the roster some more, upgrades, depth, etc between FA, Draft and UDFA. Tyrod would not be playing with this roster, but an upgraded one, with returning pieces having a year in the system, along with a new turf and players coming back from IR

I think Tyrod w/ an upgraded roster will be a more functional and better offense than DJ with this years crop. If I can upgrade without paying $30M, I will. Then in 2024 draft your guy, another FA and draft to add more too. Unless they draft one this year.

Aside from "their guy" I would also try to pickup another QB in the middle or late rounds that has size and physical tools that translate to the NFL w/ coaching, just as Redskins did with RG3 and Cousins that year, never hurts to take another swing at the bat.