News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NY-NJ Weather Saturday

Started by Ed Vette, December 22, 2022, 08:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Brown

What a strange weather day. It's 11 degrees in Dallas, 7 in Knoxville and 42 in Oxford,Maine.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jolly Blue Giant

Strange indeed. Everything is about to go to hell later this afternoon though when the temp drops 35 degrees or so (in record time) and the wind will be much more than just "harsh". I'm doing my running this morning because I don't see a good chance to get out of the house until after Christmas. Dropping my gifts off to my kids this morning because unlike most Christmas mornings, I won't be traveling to their homes :(
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bill Brown

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 23, 2022, 08:14:01 AMStrange indeed. Everything is about to go to hell later this afternoon though when the temp drops 35 degrees or so (in record time) and the wind will be much more than just "harsh". I'm doing my running this morning because I don't see a good chance to get out of the house until after Christmas. Dropping my gifts off to my kids this morning because unlike most Christmas mornings, I won't be traveling to their homes :(

We're are you located?

Bill

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: ps11yat14 on December 23, 2022, 08:18:29 AMWe're are you located?

Bill
I live in a very rural setting within a triangle made up of Binghamton, Ithaca, and Syracuse. I call it "God's Country". 25 minutes to Binghamton, 40 minutes to Syracuse, 20 minutes to Ithaca (the city I rarely go to because it's a freakin mess to get around. Spend most my "outa-house" time in Binghamton, but lately more time than usual in Syracuse. I am also 10 miles north of a very distinct "snow belt" delineation line. I can get 2' of snow and cross that line and find little to no snow...although, the last couple of years the snow storms have been more south than usual. I think Binghamton won the annual "Snow Ball Award" (city that gets the most snowfall) last year which usually goes to Buffalo

Ed Vette

Well for those of you In Western NY, at least Lake Erie will freeze over. Lake Ontario will take a few days longer. Stave off that Lake effect snow.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 23, 2022, 08:28:45 AMI live in a very rural setting within a triangle made up of Binghamton, Ithaca, and Syracuse. I call it "God's Country". 25 minutes to Binghamton, 40 minutes to Syracuse, 20 minutes to Ithaca (the city I rarely go to because it's a freakin mess to get around. Spend most my "outa-house" time in Binghamton, but lately more time than usual in Syracuse. I am also 10 miles north of a very distinct "snow belt" delineation line. I can get 2' of snow and cross that line and find little to no snow...although, the last couple of years the snow storms have been more south than usual. I think Binghamton won the annual "Snow Ball Award" (city that gets the most snowfall) last year which usually goes to Buffalo

You anywhere near Delhi? MY son went to SUNY there for 4 years.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on December 23, 2022, 11:00:08 AMYou anywhere near Delhi? MY son went to SUNY there for 4 years.

Not really - that's an hour and a half drive for me. I live very near Greek Peak and Adventure Park and Hope Lake Lodge (all parts of Greek Peak), a popular ski resort around this part of the country. It has skiing (alpine and cross country), zip lines, mountain coasters, bike trails, a water park, etc. Here's a collage of pictures if you never heard of it...the grand tour

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm glad I got my running over with this morning. No sooner did I get home and the rain turned to sleet, and the wind is blowing it almost horizontal. The drive this morning was quiet with a soft rain with zero wind, so not too bad. Flashing signs all over route 81 announcing a truck ban. No trucks allowed on the highway except snowplows and emergency vehicles. They've salted the roads to the max, even though it just started to get down to 32 degrees. I put on my relaxing clothes, turned up the thermostat and getting ready to weather the storm for the next couple of days. Hopefully, we don't lose electricity. That would suck  >:( 2

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 23, 2022, 02:01:35 PMHow to Dress for Cold Weather, Explained by an Arctic Researcher

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/staying-safe-this-winter-means-a-lot-of-time-outside-here-s-how-to-stay-warm

I used to ski Whiteface (for which we call "IceFace") in the Adirondacks once a year and learned how to stay warm...or die! I invested in expensive ($100+) Polertec long johns and another 100 on a long sleeve Polertec undershirt with thumb holes and very good ski socks. From there, nylon bib overalls (that wind cannot cut through), Polertec fleece sweater, high-end Spider ski coat, 1-piece Polertec neck, face, and head cover so the nothing shows but your eyes. Add ski goggles, helmet, and ski gloves and you're good to go. Key is to not let a single piece of flesh be exposed and invest in excellent Polertec...and keep moving and take breaks inside every couple of hours when it's 20 degrees below zero

The downside to the Polertec underwear is if you have a girlfriend, she discovers it and thinks it's the greatest sleepwear ever and when you break up, you discover she took it with her - I've lost two pairs due to that little problem  >:( 2

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I have always preferred weather that is a little colder than I'd like to weather that is a little hotter (especially if muggy) than I'd like.

Not that I want it to be 9 degrees fahrenheit, but you get what I'm saying.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 24, 2022, 07:17:33 AMI have always preferred weather that is a little colder than I'd like to weather that is a little hotter (especially if muggy) than I'd like.

Not that I want it to be 9 degrees fahrenheit, but you get what I'm saying.
I'm the opposite. For me, there's nothing fun to do to get comfortable or relax when it's cold like this. But when it's hot, there's all kinds of water activities or walking through a nice park or forest, have a picnic, etc. Extreme cold tends to shut everything down.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bill Brown

I agree with Bob Papa. I like football played in the elements but today I'm happy the Giants are playing in a dome today.

Bill

Jolly Blue Giant

3 degrees here and no wind, so it's not as brutal as I was expecting. Internet was knocked down about 7:00 last night and just came back up about a half hour ago. That's a problem when you cut the chord and you want to watch TV