News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants VS Vikings game thread

Started by MightyGiants, January 15, 2023, 01:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on January 16, 2023, 07:26:55 AMThe receivers and line are much better than fans gave them credit for.

100%.

I have given Jones a lot more credit for the way he has played in the last 3-4 weeks, but we also have a lot of folks here who have called our wide receivers the "worst in football", as well as similar remarks about our O line, and I haven't seen many of those statements retracted or even modified.

Our line was a brick wall for most of the game last night, and our receivers, who supposedly get zero separation, were wide open much of the night. I think the whole offense, Jones certainly included, has taken a big step forward in Dec/Jan.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 16, 2023, 08:00:42 AM100%.

I have given Jones a lot more credit for the way he has played in the last 3-4 weeks, but we also have a lot of folks here who have called our wide receivers the "worst in football", as well as similar remarks about our O line, and I haven't seen many of those statements retracted or even modified.

Our line was a brick wall for most of the game last night, and our receivers, who supposedly get zero separation, were wide open much of the night. I think the whole offense, Jones certainly included, has taken a big step forward in Dec/Jan.

At the time those statements were made, they were accurate and true. Nothing to retract. Clearly several things have changed on offense to where those statements are no longer true.

- Offensive line pass protection has gotten better and given Jones time to go through his progressions without pressure in his face.

- Play calling by Kafka has been much better over the last 4 weeks compared to the start of the second half of the season. They've given Jones more freedom to throw downfield.

- Jones himself. He's gotten comfortable with the playbook and developed chemistry with Hodgins and James in a short amount of time.

Truth be told, receivers were getting open but Jones wasn't looking downfield for a few reasons: coaching, protection, comfort zone.

All of those aspects have improved at the right time. This level of comfort and confidence were not present earlier in the season.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Rambo89

Quote from: T200 on January 16, 2023, 09:17:30 AMAt the time those statements were made, they were accurate and true. Nothing to retract. Clearly several things have changed on offense to where those statements are no longer true.

- Offensive line pass protection has gotten better and given Jones time to go through his progressions without pressure in his face.

- Play calling by Kafka has been much better over the last 4 weeks compared to the start of the second half of the season. They've given Jones more freedom to throw downfield.

- Jones himself. He's gotten comfortable with the playbook and developed chemistry with Hodgins and James in a short amount of time.

Truth be told, receivers were getting open but Jones wasn't looking downfield for a few reasons: coaching, protection, comfort zone.

All of those aspects have improved at the right time. This level of comfort and confidence were not present earlier in the season.

Very fair. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Trench

The biggest change has been Jones himself. Clearly the game is slowing down for him. It is evident when we watch him roll out and keep his eyes downfield looking to throw first and then run. His pocket awareness also has improved significantly. You can see him more vocal on the sidelines and in the huddle. It is literally wonderful to watch and to those who saw it early on - I tip my cap to you. I'm not sure if others were "wrong" in their assessments, but I do acknowledge the passion is what makes the fan base what it is.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Trench on January 16, 2023, 10:41:43 AMThe biggest change has been Jones himself. Clearly the game is slowing down for him. It is evident when we watch him roll out and keep his eyes downfield looking to throw first and then run. His pocket awareness also has improved significantly. You can see him more vocal on the sidelines and in the huddle. It is literally wonderful to watch and to those who saw it early on - I tip my cap to you. I'm not sure if others were "wrong" in their assessments, but I do acknowledge the passion is what makes the fan base what it is.

No doubt he has grown into a man in his position. When I see Tua throw 4 interceptions last Saturday night, and Josh Allen throwing plenty of interceptions...and Dak had what, 7 interceptions in 3 games towards the end of the regular season...it makes me appreciate how hard he works to avoid a turnover because of an errant throw. To put it in perspective, Josh Allen has thrown the most interceptions this "regular" season with 16, followed closely by Dak Prescott with 15. The rest: Cousins w/14; Joe Burrow, Geno Smith, Trevor Lawrence, Patrick Mahommes, and Aaron Rogers all w/12; Justin Herbert w/10; Tom Brady w/9....etc. Daniel Jones: 5 picks for the season! And he is hanging onto the ball with vice grip hands so as not to lose the ball

But what I see most prominantly with Jones, is his pocket awareness and ability to instinctively move out of the pocket and avoiding sacks while being extra vigilante in scanning the field knowing when to pass or to throw it away. He's really improved in pocket awareness and his agility to avoid sacks is greatly improved

My favorite play of his yesterday (besides the fake throw with an empty hand while handing off to Barkley in his back)...was running the ball and stiff arming his tackler, eliciting visions of Barry Sanders. I laughed out loud when DJ stiff armed his would be tackler. Normally, QBs who run, are quick to slide to the ground to avoid injury. I wouldn't want DJ to always do that for fear of injury, but he sure was determined to get more yards by pushing his tackler out of his way...LOL

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GordonGekko80

On another note;

What do you think of Greg Olsen as co-commentator?

I like him.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 16, 2023, 01:58:25 PMOn another note;

What do you think of Greg Olsen as co-commentator?

I like him.

I think he is excellent. He might be my favorite out of all of them right now. I prefer him to Romo myself.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 16, 2023, 02:01:04 PMI think he is excellent. He might be my favorite out of all of them right now. I prefer him to Romo myself.

Romo has great ability to foresee and predict plays... and explain what's going on in the head of the various players in the various type of situations.

But he's a Cowboy. So can't really like the guy...  :laugh:

Olsen is probably a bit less technical, but brings points across nonetheless and puts you at ease if I may say so.

TDToomer

Greg Olson does a fantastic job and it is no surprise that he got assigned to playoff games.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 16, 2023, 02:22:23 PMRomo has great ability to foresee and predict plays... and explain what's going on in the head of the various players in the various type of situations.

But he's a Cowboy. So can't really like the guy...  :laugh:

Olsen is probably a bit less technical, but brings points across nonetheless and puts you at ease if I may say so.

There is no doubting Romo's football acumen. He's as good as any color guy from that perspective, and that's very important. Obviously he is one of the better ones. What I like less about Romo is the hysterics you get with him. Now please don't get me wrong here - I don't want my broadcasting team to be unemotional robots. On the contrary, I want them to convey the appropriate amount of emotion, urgency etc for the moment. Romo in my opinion sometimes goes a little overboard on that front. Olson on the other hand brings plenty of knowledge to the table (he was a hell of a football player and only retired a couple years ago), and he communicates it clearly and with the right amount of emotion in my opinion. Romo sometimes comes off as the drunk guy at a bar. I think many viewers like that, so more power to him. I think it's a bit much sometimes myself.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE