News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Hockenson killed them but Jefferson was a Non Factor

Started by Rambo89, January 16, 2023, 07:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Yes, Hockenson killed them with 10 catches for 129 but Jefferson was a non factor with only 7 catches for 47 yards.  Credit the game plan and execution on defense knowing what their capabilities were and how they could take Hockenson having a big game if Jefferson was a non factor.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

GordonGekko80

You have to give up something, somewhere... Hockenson was probably that something.

Jefferson was covered well, doubled where needed, and when he did catch the ball it was catch and tackle, not catch and run.

The Vikings have also got a good running game, that was a limited factor in this game, too.

I know that when we watch games, we always complain about the D not being able to stop the opponent here and there, but in hindsight, I think the D contained well, especially in the 4th Quarter.

B1GBLUE

Man you could really see him sweating on the sideline during that 10 minute drive in the 2nd quarter. our best defense last night was keeping them off the field.

Bob In PA

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 16, 2023, 07:18:46 AMThe Vikings have also got a good running game, that was a limited factor in this game, too.
GG: That is another point that will probably go under-appreciated...

The defense they were playing to prevent long pass plays to Jefferson makes them vulnerable against the run.

Yet somehow they managed to minimize that with "only" seven defenders, especially at key moments.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 16, 2023, 07:22:38 AMGG: That is another point that will probably go under-appreciated...

Oh, absolutely... As said, we b**th and moan around during the game, but overall we need to consider everything the D needs to do. The game is definitely not one dimensional.

Bob In PA

Quote from: B1GBLUE on January 16, 2023, 07:21:08 AMMan you could really see him sweating on the sideline during that 10 minute drive in the 2nd quarter. our best defense last night was keeping them off the field.
B-One: Near the end of that drive, their clear path to victory opened.

But, being the Giants, they left the door open a crack because they got only three points.

To me, the disappointment on Daboll's face at that time said it all.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 16, 2023, 07:29:22 AMB-One: Near the end of that drive, their clear path to victory opened.

But (being the Giants, they left the door open a crack because they got only three points.

To me, the disappointment on Daboll's face at that time said it all.

Bob

Yeah i was getting a little pissy when they tied it up! but bellinger redeemed himself with that td.

Bill Brown

It shows that the Giants are weak at the second level. Tight ends are a nightmare for this team because they don't have good LBs. Davis played a lot because he is better against the run but a liability in pass coverage.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Ed Vette

Getting back Adoree and McK were huge but the unsung hero of this team is Wink Martindale.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 16, 2023, 07:56:24 AMGetting back Adoree and McK were huge but the unsung hero of this team is Wink Martindale.

Is he really unsung? I feel like every fan here and every fan I know who isn't on this board has been singing his praises all year. Plus the announcers are always praising him during games.

I think he has done a brilliant job this year, but I wouldn't say he has not gotten credit for it.

kartanoman

Good input, folks! Both Jefferson and Hockenson are nearly impossible to stop, together. But taking a lesson from Green Bay, the Giants were playing their percentages well yesterday in challenging Thielen and the Hock to beat them.

As far as I'm concerned, eliminating Jefferson and Cook from the Vikings' game plan was huge.

It was a magnificent effort on both sides yesterday and, as I mentioned last night, this was the best effort this season by the Giants in a very big game which meant everything. There's reason to gleam!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 16, 2023, 07:57:33 AMIs he really unsung? I feel like every fan here and every fan I know who isn't on this board has been singing his praises all year. Plus the announcers are always praising him during games.

I think he has done a brilliant job this year, but I wouldn't say he has not gotten credit for it.
He's overshadowed by Brian Daboll. He gets a cameo shot once a game. If he didn't keep these games close these players would be watching the playoffs on their couch. He made one critical mistake in coverage that he got hammered for and he's fallen under the radar of the overall media coverage and larger fan base.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Seems like this defense plays faster in the 4th quarter. Not sure why, but coverage gets tighter and plays in the flat get tackled for losses rather than 3 yard gains...Seemed like a refreshed group late in the game and it seems like a pattern.

MightyGiants

I had forgotten that the Vikings traded for Hockenson.

Here's a reminder of what the trade terms were:

Lions get:

Vikings 2023 second-round pick
Vikings 2024 third-round pick

Vikings get:

T.J. Hockenson
2023 fourth-round pick
Conditional 2024 fourth-round pick

The condition: if the Vikings win a playoff game, that conditional pick drops to a 2024 fifth-round pick. In other words, if the Vikings do well as a result of the trade, the Lions will not have to send back as much trade capital as originally agreed upon. However, if the Vikings don't win a playoff game, that pick remains a 2024 fourth-round pick.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/1/15/23556657/conditions-of-tj-hockenson-trade-finalized-after-vikings-playoff-loss-detroit-lions
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GordonGekko80

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 16, 2023, 10:04:11 AMI had forgotten that the Vikings traded for Hockenson.

Here's a reminder of what the trade terms were:

Lions get:

Vikings 2023 second-round pick
Vikings 2024 third-round pick
Vikings get:

T.J. Hockenson
2023 fourth-round pick
Conditional 2024 fourth-round pick
The condition: if the Vikings win a playoff game, that conditional pick drops to a 2024 fifth-round pick. In other words, if the Vikings do well as a result of the trade, the Lions will not have to send back as much trade capital as originally agreed upon. However, if the Vikings don't win a playoff game, that pick remains a 2024 fourth-round pick.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/1/15/23556657/conditions-of-tj-hockenson-trade-finalized-after-vikings-playoff-loss-detroit-lions

Guess what? The Vikings didn't win a playoff game. So the Lions will have to send a fourth rounder to Minnesota.  :laugh:

But the Trade did cost a little something in the end... a 2023 second rounder... which ends up being a top 50 pick.