News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Free at home COVID tests

Started by Ed Vette, January 19, 2023, 12:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I think those home test kits are important.  I ended up catching Covid a week and a half before Christmas.  I woke up with what I thought was a cold.  Since I had a pile of test kits at home, I figured I might as well take a test to be safe.   Turned out I had gotten Covid (from a work function I had to attend).  I never had anything worse than a moderate cold during my bout with Covid.  The only reason I knew I had Covid was the test.   Thankfully I did the test because once I knew, I could isolate myself and not pass it on to others.

I didn't reach out to a doctor for meds because I knew I was in excellent shape and had been boosted 3 times, including the new bivalent at the beginning of September.  Plus, I have no underlying risk factors.

A coworker texted me this week telling me she had a common cold and asked if it was okay if she came into the office.  I asked her if she had tested (I shared my experience with her).   She had not.   She later texted me a picture of a positive text and said she would never have known if I didn't tell her.  She had some risk factors and wasn't as up-to-date on her boosters, so the disease hit her a bit harder than it had me. 

Now, if I didn't have a pile of text kits at home, I am not sure I would have bothered to get tested for a simple cold.   So I do urge people to get the kits so they can avoid spreading the disease.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I believe the reason Covid has been less reported this season is because fewer people are testing. They then go out and infect others thinking they have a cold.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

I agree Ed. Just off our cruise where it has been reported that there were about 200 people who supposedly came down with Covid on this cruise (out of maybe 5000 passengers). But those are the reported cases. No one, especially if you aren't really that sick, wants to stay in their stateroom for a week while on a cruise, so no one really knows how many people might have had Covid on the cruise. We wore our masks anytime we were indoors and sometimes we were the only ones in crowds of hundreds. We love to cruise and will do whatever is necessary to continue. But now, all cruise lines do not require a negative test to board the ship which, IMVHO is a mistake.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Our son in Minnesota just tested positive this morning. I wonder if he was infected at the playoff game on Sunday. Maybe. I just spoke with him. He's congested but doesn't have a sore throat so far, headache, body aches, and chills that even an electric blanket can't corral. We're awaiting word on our grandson who went to the game with him.

LennG

Quote from: Sem on January 19, 2023, 05:01:09 PMOur son in Minnesota just tested positive this morning. I wonder if he was infected at the playoff game on Sunday. Maybe. I just spoke with him. He's congested but doesn't have a sore throat so far, headache, body aches, and chills that even an electric blanket can't corral. We're awaiting word on our grandson who went to the game with him.

Hope for the best Steve. Keep us informed.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on January 19, 2023, 06:18:59 PMHope for the best Steve. Keep us informed.
Thanks Len. I just spoke with our son and he's about the same, which is about as good as we could hope for. Not (yet) having had Covid I'm not sure how long the virus typically lasts. *Just checked and it's usually one to two weeks.* He also said his two boys both tested negative and are staying with their mom.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Sem on January 20, 2023, 10:21:55 AMThanks Len. I just spoke with our son and he's about the same, which is about as good as we could hope for. Not (yet) having had Covid I'm not sure how long the virus typically lasts. *Just checked and it's usually one to two weeks.* He also said his two boys both tested negative and are staying with their mom.

It really depends on their vaccinations and boosters as well as their health and other underlying conditions.  You can be feeling better in just a few days or it can take longer.   As a general rule, it's 5 days of isolation and if the fever is gone and the symptoms are significantly better then you can go out but with a mask on.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 20, 2023, 10:29:33 AMIt really depends on their vaccinations and boosters as well as their health and other underlying conditions.  You can be feeling better in just a few days or it can take longer.   As a general rule, it's 5 days of isolation and if the fever is gone and the symptoms are significantly better then you can go out but with a mask on.
Thanks Rich. Regarding our son, he's 40, fully vaxed and boosted, and in good health with no known underlying conditions - he regularly runs 5k, 10k, and half marathons. I suspect that by early next week he should be feeling quite a bit better.

Sem

My luck just ran out as I tested positive this morning for the first time. On Friday I played a round of golf, and by the end my throat was a bit scratchy. Coughing Saturday so I tested but was negative. Still coughing this morning but was planning on running to the store for some groceries, and my wife insisted I test. Sure enough, positive, so stayed home. My wife tested has tested negative so far. Other than a  occasional dry cough I feel fine, but my coffee had very little flavor, other things tasted fine so far.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Sem on March 20, 2023, 04:34:54 PMMy luck just ran out as I tested positive this morning for the first time. On Friday I played a round of golf, and by the end my throat was a bit scratchy. Coughing Saturday so I tested but was negative. Still coughing this morning but was planning on running to the store for some groceries, and my wife insisted I test. Sure enough, positive, so stayed home. My wife tested has tested negative so far. Other than a  occasional dry cough I feel fine, but my coffee had very little flavor, other things tasted fine so far.
I hope you're feeling better. When I got it, it was like the worst cold I ever had with a fever. I took Tylenol and kept up with my Vitamin D and C and the runny nose took almost two weeks and loads of tissue.

I believe some people are going out with covid and in some cases don't wear a mask, even when they know they have it. Make sure it doesn't go into your lungs and lead to something worse.   
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

Thanks Ed. So far I don't feel too bad, just really tired. It's funny how this virus presents itself differently to different people. In my case very tired, (as in bed for 16 hours kind of tired), a non-stop dry cough, muted taste buds, and it feels like I have a sunburn all over. No fever, my lungs are clear, and just a little nasal drip. I can't believe my wife hasn't caught it from me, (so far anyway). She tested yesterday and again this morning, both negative. She has jury duty this week, so she'll keep testing at least once a day.