News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Coaches and Staff flying under the radar

Started by Ed Vette, January 19, 2023, 01:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Coach Brian Daboll, Mike Kafka and Don Wink Martindale have played a huge roll in turning around the NY Football Giants but the position coaches and staff are not nearly getting enough credit. These are the men and women working with the team and the individual Players to make them better each week to understand their assignments and the intricacies of their positions. Coach Daboll of course gets enormous credit for putting together such a fine staff. 

Let's start off with Laura Young, Director of Coaching Operations and Angela Baker, Quality Control Coach. Working behind-the-scenes in coordination and film breakdown.

Mike Groh, WR Coach really had a challenge this year with all the injuries and replacements to the starting three. He's done a nice job working with Slayton to excel at more routes than he was utilized for since he's been here. James has done an outstanding job taking over the Slot position and creating separation for yards after the catch. Groh was able to get Hodgins and Johnson up to speed quickly. The starting WR group going into the season was Shepard, Golladay, Toney and Robinson, all of which are not on the existing Roster.

Andy Bischoff developed Bellinger, Cager and Vanett in a position that looked to be the weakest among the Offense. These players have stepped up in Receiving and Blocking. Pass and Run Blocking has been a TE liability for many years.

Shea Tierney had to have had a hand in the development of Daniel Jones, taking baby steps each week to get him to where he is today. DJ has finally become a well-rounded QB who can read defensive coverages, look off a LB or Safety, move within and outside the pocket away from pressure and run only when there are no better options downfield. The emergence of Daniel Jones the last 5 games is certainly a testimonial to the player but credit is due to his support staff.

Bobby Johnson lost two rookies to injury and has had to deal with starter injuries, while developing Feliciano at Center, Gates who came back from injury with relatively little experience and a Rookie RT in Evan Neal. They have become one of the better run-blocking units in the league and have gelled to become a decent pass-blocking group.

Who did more with less than Jerome Henderson, the DB Coach. Working with Wink Martindale to adapt to different schemes of coverage among a group of Rookies and FA's. Wink was able to flip the switch from Man Coverage and Blitzing to Zone Cover-2 and Quarters Coverage overnight. 

Andre Patterson took Dexter Lawrence to an elite level of play and was so disruptive that even with Kurt Cousin's finest game of the season, the Vikings QB was unable to step up in the pocket to complete passes in critical situations.

Not last or least is Drew Wilkins. Kayvon Thibodeaux has taken nice strides to become not only an effective Pass Rusher but be alert enough to chase down ball carriers and improve in setting the edge. Jhad Ward is having a career year and Ximinez has found a role in this Defense. Also improved is Azeez OJulari in Run Defense.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

If we still did Post of the Week, this would be this week's, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TONKA56

MightyGiants

It wouldn't shock me if Shea Tierney is considered for the OC position should Kafka move on.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Ed,

Really great post and points.  I know for myself I tend to think of the HC, OC and DC as the influential coaches and ones who make a difference. 

In a debate on this forum, it was brought up that a team had won a championship with mediocre coaching.  I looked at the coaching staff and found that there was young DB coach who would go on to become a successful DC and later a HC (not as successful there).  Point being, when you have an ascending position coach who is likely to take the next step, it really gives your team an advantage.

To some extent I think the really good coordinators can do it with mediocre position coaches,  but having a young up and comer can make them even better.

Jclayton92

Andre Patterson is someone I'd give an assistant head coaching position to so that he doesn't leave.

gregf

Nice write up Ed. This group has been outstanding!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 19, 2023, 01:58:52 PMCoach Brian Daboll, Mike Kafka and Don Wink Martindale have played a huge roll in turning around the NY Football Giants but the position coaches and staff are not nearly getting enough credit.
Ed: Nice job remembering to raise this point.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GloryDays

They all seem to be pretty good, but Bobby Johnson to me has done a real nice job with the improvement of the O line, how Andrew Thomas transformed to the dominant left tackle he is now, others have also improved drastically.

Rambo89

Giants as an organization have become a well oiled machine from top to bottom and it all starts at the top with Schoen.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18