News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Sean Payton to Denver

Started by Rambo89, January 31, 2023, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1620531082394472448

"Compensation: Denver's 2023 first-round pick and next year's second-round pick for Sean Payton and the Saints' 2024 third."

Shocked that this went through that he would take the job given their circumstances.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

jgrangers2

A first rounder this year and a second rounder next year. This HAS to work for them or this could just look like an all time example of compounding one bad move with another

Sem

Between this and the picks Denver gave up for Russell Wilson do they even have any picks for Payton to rebuild the team? He may soon wish he never took this job.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Sem on January 31, 2023, 05:00:58 PMBetween this and the picks Denver gave up for Russell Wilson do they even have any picks for Payton to rebuild the team? He may soon wish he never took this job.

They dont think they need a rebuild.  They believe they have the talent to compete.  The defense was good last year and I think most of us believe Sutton and Jeudy are pretty good.

We'll see if they are right

Rambo89

Quote from: jgrangers2 on January 31, 2023, 04:58:58 PMA first rounder this year and a second rounder next year. This HAS to work for them or this could just look like an all time example of compounding one bad move with another

The first rounder this year would be the 29th pick overall that the Broncos got when they dealt Chubb.  So it's not a steep price.  But when you consider they gave up picks last year in the deal to get Wilson that leaves them with not much to work with.  I was dead wrong thinking Payton wouldn't go to a situation like that but he did.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

jgrangers2

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 31, 2023, 05:06:16 PMThey dont think they need a rebuild.  They believe they have the talent to compete.  The defense was good last year and I think most of us believe Sutton and Jeudy are pretty good.

We'll see if they are right

They're banking on Wilson's poor year being due to Hackett. They have a lot of talent but they're also in a division with the Chiefs (Mahomes) and the Chargers (Herbert). They probably have the third best QB in their own division and are gonna be hard pressed to get much better without those top picks.

LennG

Come on, Sean knew what he was getting into and I'm sure he thinks he can get this team to the playoffs next year. Wilson is still a top QB and with probably the best offensive-minded coach in the game, I would expect Wilson to excel next year.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Pretty chilly environment for a guy who last coached from the cozy warm embrace of the Superdome.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

President Rick

good luck to our former Naperville IL neighbor [my son played qb at the same HS as Sean].  I have to believe he knows what he's doing, and he certainly can count the $$$$$$
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

T200

Quote from: LennG on January 31, 2023, 07:06:19 PMCome on, Sean knew what he was getting into and I'm sure he thinks he can get this team to the playoffs next year. Wilson is still a top QB and with probably the best offensive-minded coach in the game, I would expect Wilson to excel next year.
I had the same thoughts, Len. Payton knows full well that Denver is stuck with Wilson. If he thought Wilson was done, he wouldn't have taken the job. I personally think this past season was an anomaly for Wilson.

I thought Payton would hold out for Dallas but apparently he would much rather have Wilson than Dak/Rush.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 01, 2023, 08:17:33 AMI had the same thoughts, Len. Payton knows full well that Denver is stuck with Wilson. If he thought Wilson was done, he wouldn't have taken the job. I personally think this past season was an anomaly for Wilson.

I thought Payton would hold out for Dallas but apparently he would much rather have Wilson than Dak/Rush.

Of it could be an issue of a bird in the hand...
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

It will be fascinating to see how Payton does in this role. I was frankly surprised by how bad Denver was this past season. Whether they can quickly rebound and play much better in year two will be an interesting case study for the importance of coaching versus talent.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 05, 2023, 08:11:37 AMIt will be fascinating to see how Payton does in this role. I was frankly surprised by how bad Denver was this past season. Whether they can quickly rebound and play much better in year two will be an interesting case study for the importance of coaching versus talent.

A big question is whether the drop in Russell Wilson's production was the result of a decline in his physical skills or a case of a coach trying to force a square peg into a round hole.  I am convinced that there is a lot of bad QB coaching in the league.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll