News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Top-Five WR Options/Targets?

Started by Painter, February 10, 2023, 08:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ranking-five-of-the-giants-most-popular-wide-receiver-targets-this-offseason/ar-AA17j2dn?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5c09f917ef9e412cb2e57f0a16e89d54

1.Jordan Addison
2.Brandon Aiyuk
3.Jaxon Smith-Njigba
4.Zay Flowers
5.Tee Higgins

Those probably would be my choices as well. However, if they could get Aiyuk for a 2nd Rounder- which I doubt- he would top my list.

The fact that essentially all of Smith-Njigba's production came in one year 2021 is a consideration but I don't think it warrants a "boom or bust" label.

I like Flowers but I think I'd prefer to see what they can get from a healthy Wan'Dale Robinson, last year's 43rd overall pick.

I love Tee Higgins but he'd be too expensive for the current Exchequer.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

I have resigned myself to the idea that the Giants will not solve their "number one WR" issue this offseason.   I think the Giants will instead try to solve it indirectly by targeting a TE in the draft.

Assuming the Giants re-sign Jones, or worse, also re-sign Barkley, they will not have the cap $$$ to support a high-end veteran WR.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Sometimes I want to puke when I read comments by people writing about prospects such as the writer in the link.  Do these people even watch college football games?

Zay Flowers plays like his hair is on fire.  He is very aggressive in all his moves and he combines that with great ball tracking skills in following the ball from the air to his hands.  Forget his size.  He is an outside threat because of those skills and his damn speed.  Tyreek Hill is 5'10" and 190 pounds and he plays outside a lot of the time.  Guess what both have in common?  Blazing speed.  Flowers will add pounds to his frame like nearly every NFL player does as their bodies mature further.

JSN?  Yes he put up great numbers in 2021 on a great Ohio State WR squad, but a soft tissue hamstring injury kept him out nearly the entire 2022 season.  What does that tell you about his ability to take care of his hamstrings -- the most important part of a WR's body?  What does that tell you about his ability to rest and rehab them?  Is it chronic?  Is he unable to play through a little pain?  Was he trying to protect his draft status?  After the Toney fiasco, I want one tough dude who can't stand to be off the field and will play through anything to be on it.  If the Giants select him, I hope they have vetted his maturity and drive because I see a flashing red sign until proven otherwise.

Jordan Addison is good but think he is more of a #2 NFL WR.  Steady but hardly electric.  I think of the Giants Steve Smith from USC when I think of Addison.

I don't want the Giants to trade or sign a vet WR.  Too expensive.  Draft can deliver.  I hope their so-called 5 WR options are Jalin Hyatt, Zay Flowers, Jonathan Mingo, Andrei Iosivas and Cedric Tillman. 

Bob In PA

Phil: Actually, like IMO most of our members, writers who cover NFL watch very little college ball.

I'm not being critical.  They try to keep up but there's too much to keep up with.

If you want to know about college players you can rely only on the few who specialize in covering the draft.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on February 10, 2023, 09:26:48 AMSometimes I want to puke when I read comments by people writing about prospects such as the writer in the link.  Do these people even watch college football games?

Zay Flowers plays like his hair is on fire.  He is very aggressive in all his moves and he combines that with great ball tracking skills in following the ball from the air to his hands.  Forget his size.  He is an outside threat because of those skills and his damn speed.  Tyreek Hill is 5'10" and 190 pounds and he plays outside a lot of the time.  Guess what both have in common?  Blazing speed.  Flowers will add pounds to his frame like nearly every NFL player does as their bodies mature further.

JSN?  Yes he put up great numbers in 2021 on a great Ohio State WR squad, but a soft tissue hamstring injury kept him out nearly the entire 2022 season.  What does that tell you about his ability to take care of his hamstrings -- the most important part of a WR's body?  What does that tell you about his ability to rest and rehab them?  Is it chronic?  Is he unable to play through a little pain?  Was he trying to protect his draft status?  After the Toney fiasco, I want one tough dude who can't stand to be off the field and will play through anything to be on it.  If the Giants select him, I hope they have vetted his maturity and drive because I see a flashing red sign until proven otherwise.

Jordan Addison is good but think he is more of a #2 NFL WR.  Steady but hardly electric.  I think of the Giants Steve Smith from USC when I think of Addison.

I don't want the Giants to trade or sign a vet WR.  Too expensive.  Draft can deliver.  I hope their so-called 5 WR options are Jalin Hyatt, Zay Flowers, Jonathan Mingo, Andrei Iosivas and Cedric Tillman. 

Holy cow - I could have written that piece because that is precisely my thoughts going into the draft. I also agree with Rich that a stud TE might end up being our first rounder

Another WR to keep an eye on that is flying way under the radar is a kid from Southeast Missouri State of the Ohio Valley Conference. One of my "sleeper picks": Johnny King, 6'5" / 210 lb 797 yds, 6 TDs. Don't know about his speed, but supposedly he runs good routes, has good hands, and has excellent hip flipping ability. I hate comparisons, but some say he reminds them of "Pistol Plaxico". He might be nothing, he might be something...but just keep an eye on him. I don't know if he's gotten an invite to the combine, but he will definetly be at SMU's campus Pro-Day on March 10th along with SS Lawrence Johnson. It's what you use those extra late picks for or perhaps a priority FA

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 10, 2023, 09:59:58 AMHoly cow - I could have written that piece because that is precisely my thoughts going into the draft. I also agree with Rich that a stud TE might end up being our first rounder

Another WR to keep an eye on that is flying way under the radar is a kid from Southeast Missouri State of the Ohio Valley Conference. One of my "sleeper picks": Johnny King, 6'5" / 210 lb 797 yds, 6 TDs. Don't know about his speed, but supposedly he runs good routes, has good hands, and has excellent hip flipping ability. I hate comparisons, but some say he reminds them of "Pistol Plaxico". He might be nothing, he might be something...but just keep an eye on him. I don't know if he's gotten an invite to the combine, but he will definetly be at SMU's campus Pro-Day on March 10th along with SS Lawrence Johnson. It's what you use those extra late picks for or perhaps a priority FA

I have not seen him play so I don't have any view on him.  I have been saying the same thing you noted and Rich I think said that the Giants may look for pass catching help through the TE spot.  There are several really good options.

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 10, 2023, 09:18:39 AMI have resigned myself to the idea that the Giants will not solve their "number one WR" issue this offseason.   I think the Giants will instead try to solve it indirectly by targeting a TE in the draft.

Assuming the Giants re-sign Jones, or worse, also re-sign Barkley, they will not have the cap $$$ to support a high-end veteran WR.   

Very unlikely that 1) a #1 WR even gets to the free agent market and 2) the Giants have enough money to get into the game for him if he does as you outlined after the Jones and/or Barkley deals.

And of course the top of the line WRs in the draft will likely also be gone by the time the Giants pick.  So...what to do?  Well if things all stay the same what I would probably do is take the 11 picks and draft like 5 WRs.   Knowing full well some will stink and may not even make the team but hoping that at least one of them can turn into an Isaiah Hodgins type find.  They're not gonna get an AJ Brown but maybe they can get enough Hodgins level guys to build a solid stable to work with. 

Painter

It should go without saying that decisions involving not just WR1 but in regard to all players, present or future, should be compatible with the team's needs and financial Cap-ability. However, that should not allow for small-mindedness in the wake of Dave Gettleman so as to foreclose on the creative thinking/planning of Schoen/ Daboll et al.

Whether we are bold and brash in our opinions or intimidated and affected, or reflect a certain ignis fatuus, we should always look to encourage imagination and inspiration on the part of those who are to make such decisions.

Cheers!