News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Surprise Roster Cut?

Started by Painter, February 16, 2023, 09:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

MightyGiants

It will surprise me if Jackson is cut, as CB is more a need than a surplus.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

That would be surprising of all the larger contracts on the roster to be cut.  Unless the feeling is that his injury was a bigger deal long term than we are aware of.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

It's a ten million dollar dead cap hit and his contract voids next year for less than $3mm. Is there a comparable replacement they can pick up and not spend most of that $9mm they initially save?

He will be 29 this season and I don't see them redoing him to a three year with his propensity to get hurt although he might have played the entire 2022 if he didn't return punts.

I'm gonna say no. He plays his contract out.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 16, 2023, 09:53:49 AMIt will surprise me if Jackson is cut, as CB is more a need than a surplus.

we should def extend him

Jclayton92

Jackson while not known for picks is statically a top 10-15 corner. No point in losing that talent, plus Jackson fits winks man system like a glove.

Painter

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 16, 2023, 10:49:50 AMIt's a ten million dollar dead cap hit and his contract voids next year for less than $3mm. Is there a comparable replacement they can pick up and not spend most of that $9mm they initially save?

He will be 29 this season and I don't see them redoing him to a three year with his propensity to get hurt although he might have played the entire 2022 if he didn't return punts.

I'm gonna say no. He plays his contract out.

I agree, Ed. Well thought. I suspect it will play out as you suggest.

Cheers!

Jaime

Reading & hearing Dimes Contract would be close to 40 Mil. Currently, there hasn't been any reported negotiated #'s. So, if Ownership & Management want Dimes, they'll have to pony up the aforementioned #.
However, not for one second do I believe that 15 Mil # will come into play for Barkley, unless another Team cuts him a check for that amount?

The Dead $ that comes into play, coupled with the cost of replacing Jackson makes keeping Jackson a no-brainer.

kingm56

Quote from: Painter on February 16, 2023, 09:40:44 AMhttps://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/1-giants-player-who-could-be-a-surprise-roster-cut-in-the-2023-offseason/ar-AA17x0jv?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=d8549c22c0994a8887185ce79dc14779

The thought of Adoree Jackson as a possible surprise roster cut had not crossed my mind. But this article has wondering.

Cheers!

If the impetus was to identify a surprise cut, I think they achieved thier goal, Larry.  However, I think a better description would be 'stupid cuts.'  I just don't see the Giants cutting a valuable member, at a premium position, which incurs a large sum of dead money.  I just don't see this happening...

Philosophers

I can see the Giants drafting 2 CBs and 2 WRs among the first 5 rounds of the draft.  If the 5th player they take is a center, I'd like that outcome.

I'd love the following:

WR - Two of the following:  Zay Flowers/Jalin Hyatt/Jonathan Mingo/Cedric Tillman

CB - Two of the following:  Devon Witherspoon/Joey Porter/DJ Turner/Tyrique Stevenson

C - Olu Oluwatimi or Ricky Stromberg or John Michael Schmitz

sxdxca38

Quote from: Philosophers on February 17, 2023, 06:54:50 PMI can see the Giants drafting 2 CBs and 2 WRs among the first 5 rounds of the draft.  If the 5th player they take is a center, I'd like that outcome.

I'd love the following:

WR - Two of the following:  Zay Flowers/Jalin Hyatt/Jonathan Mingo/Cedric Tillman

CB - Two of the following:  Devon Witherspoon/Joey Porter/DJ Turner/Tyrique Stevenson

C - Olu Oluwatimi or Ricky Stromberg or John Michael Schmitz

Zay flowers is awesome, I'd love that pick

Philosophers

Quote from: sxdxca38 on February 17, 2023, 07:17:18 PMZay flowers is awesome, I'd love that pick

I love Zay as well.  He plays with an attitude of "nobody can stay with me."  I'd love to see them get a speed guy like Zay then come back and get a big bodied, large hands type catcher in either Mingo or Tillman.  If they can land two WRs plus have Hodgins, they'd be set and when Robinson is 100%, they'd now have a hugely upgraded WR group.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Philosophers on February 18, 2023, 01:51:57 PMI love Zay as well.  He plays with an attitude of "nobody can stay with me."  I'd love to see them get a speed guy like Zay then come back and get a big bodied, large hands type catcher in either Mingo or Tillman.  If they can land two WRs plus have Hodgins, they'd be set and when Robinson is 100%, they'd now have a hugely upgraded WR group.

Okay Philosophers, that would be awesome if what you say comes true! Great post