News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Analytical Case Against Paying Daniel Jones

Started by Rambo89, February 22, 2023, 07:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 22, 2023, 08:04:45 AMThe numbers the author used do not match up with what I saw last night

https://twitter.com/JustinPenik/status/1628183071521484801
His wording is really weird on some things.

For example:

"Jones completed passes at an identical rate in 2022 despite his target depth decreasing from 7.6 air yards in 2021 to 6.7 air yards in 2022." I thought he was using Air yards which is a next gen stat but instead of using Jones' actual air yard of 4.9, or using intended air yards which is 6.3 hes using some other metric that im not aware of which is weird.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 22, 2023, 10:46:00 AMHis wording is really weird on some things.

For example:

"Jones completed passes at an identical rate in 2022 despite his target depth decreasing from 7.6 air yards in 2021 to 6.7 air yards in 2022." I though he was using Air yards which is a next gen stat but instead of using Jones' actual air yard of 4.9, or using intended air yards which is 6.3 hes using some other metric that im not aware of which is weird.

I am familiar with the author Warren Sharp; he is an analytics guy.  That said, I found the article lacking.  Here is the thing about stats and analytics.  If you are going to cite a stat or analytic, you need to explain and justify why you selected what you did.   For example, he talked quite a bit about non-red zone stats.  Yet he didn't explain why he felt those were the important stats, nor why he left out Jones' 2nd down stats (I noticed he did first and third down stats only).

I really get a sense the author was driving the data to a desired conclusion rather than letting the data drive him to the conclusion.   

I mean, one oddity in Sharp's argument is that Jones played worse this season than the prior one (under Judge).  Such a claim fails all normally accepted measures and the eyeball test.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Blue Fire

Further context:

DJ's pass yards from his last 8 games (after adding Hodgins) projected over 17 games: 3838

I can only imagine what that would look like if they gave him talent anywhere in the range of what most playoff teams had this year.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Let's not forget that is the same DJ-improving/COTY-including staff who will decide Daniel Jones's value and worth to the team and its future. If we feel compelled to second-guess, it should begin and end right there as a matter of their judgment compared to ours-period.

Cheers!