News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Eagles Fire Popular Assistant Coach

Started by Symphony Steve, March 05, 2023, 08:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphony Steve

Defensive Backs Coach Dennard Wilson, who apparently finished as runner-up to new Birds' DC Sean Desai.

Philly.com writer Marcus Hayes, who is quite the contrarian, paints this as leading to a possible mutiny on the part of the d-backs:

"The Eagles have lost defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon.

Now, they've also lost their best defensive position coach.

And they might be on the brink of a mutiny.

After an acrimonious meeting this weekend, Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni fired popular and productive defensive backs coach Dennard Wilson on Saturday, two league sources confirmed. Sirianni passed over Wilson in his exhaustive search to replace Gannon and hired Seattle Seahawks defensive assistant Sean Desai instead."

Of course, the defensive backfield will likely look a lot different next year. Still, it's a head-scratcher for sure, as Wilson had said he would stay as the coach of the defensive backs.

goNets

Dream scenario is that Sirianni proves to be a headcase that brings his team to the precipice but can't get them over the hump.

MightyGiants

I had heard it wasn't so much a firing as a mutual parting of the ways.   Wilson interviewed for the DC job and didn't get it.   It's not uncommon when you interview internal candidates that there is hurt feelings and resentment afterwards if the person doesn't land the job.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Symphony Steve

Possible.  He could be one of those coaches with a shelf life--where players tune him out after awhile.

However, having read the story by Marcus Hayes, it's clear to me that his source was Wilson himself. As a Syracuse alum, I follow my fellow SU media peeps.  Hayes has always been sort-of a contrarian.  I like contrarians who don't spout the conventional wisdom.  But Hayes is all-too-often way off the mark.

It's equally possible, likely in fact, that Desai envisions a different approach for his DB's, and that his views and Dennard Wilson's approach were not compatible. Maybe Wilson ends up with Gannon in Arizona.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE