News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Trying to figure out the astute mind of Schoen

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 15, 2023, 01:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Looking at how he went about business in his first year, it's obvious he thinks long-term and is financially shrewd. Trying to anticipate where he'll go in the draft (at least with the early picks) is very difficult. He seems to know every piece of the team that is a hole in the dyke, as they say, yet he doesn't panic and throw money around like it's a bottomless resevoir. He's very savvy and the three pickups he's made thus far should pay big dividends without the organization putting a second mortgage on the ranch. Instead of looking at the most expensive player available, he uses his scouting team to analyze all free agents to figure out how they fix a specific need, yet sticks to his plan of "Smart, Tough, and Dependable". Getting Bobby Okereke and Rakeem Nunez-Roches should address our inability to stop the run - their specialty. The trade for Waller was just a fleecing the Raiders IMO

What a relief and great feeling to know we have a competent GM steering the good ship, "New York Football Giants"  :ok:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Gmo11

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 15, 2023, 01:43:40 PMLooking at how he went about business in his first year, it's obvious he thinks long-term and is financially shrewd. Trying to anticipate where he'll go in the draft (at least with the early picks) is very difficult. He seems to know every piece of the team that is a hole in the dyke, as they say, yet he doesn't panic and throw money around like it's a bottomless resevoir. He's very savvy and the three pickups he's made thus far should pay big dividends without the organization putting a second mortgage on the ranch. Instead of looking at the most expensive player available, he uses his scouting team to analyze all free agents to figure out how they fix a specific need, yet sticks to his plan of "Smart, Tough, and Dependable". Getting Bobby Okereke and Rakeem Nunez-Roches should address our inability to stop the run - their specialty. The trade for Waller was just a fleecing the Raiders IMO

What a relief and great feeling to know we have a competent GM steering the good ship, "New York Football Giants"  :ok:

SUCH a breath of fresh air compared to the last 4 years.  Competency at the most important front office position should be the norm but around these parts hasn't been.  It's here now and it's fantastic.

Bob In PA

Jolly: The only way to compete with the Eagles is to match or better them at every level of the organization.

Rosemann is good. So is our guy. We have the advantage at head coach and haven't lost any of the major cogs yet.

I could break the team down position-by-position but instead I'll just say we're closing the gap generally speaking (although more by subtraction from their squad... but our additions thus far are IMO not too shabby).  Our arrow is definitely pointing up and there's is certainly no better than pointing sideways at present.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

PSUBeirut

This guy is such a breath of fresh air. Vert straightforward and had a very calm and confident air. I think some of the high pressure negotiations he has been successful with will only lead to more confidence.

Also don't discount how great it is to have Brandon brown. Not just now to help a young GM but also grooming for the future (although i can see him eventually running his own club)

Rambo89

Quote from: Gmo11 on March 15, 2023, 01:55:27 PMSUCH a breath of fresh air compared to the last 4 years.  Competency at the most important front office position should be the norm but around these parts hasn't been.  It's here now and it's fantastic.

He has a long term vision for the franchise and hasn't done anything reckless that will cripple them the way Gettleman and Reese did.  He has also left himself with flexibility in future seasons while at the same time built a team that will be competitive now.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Philosophers

If you listen to either Joe Schoen or Brian Daboll, you never hear them use the word "I" unless it is about accepting responsibility for something that went wrong.  They are communicative yet extremely humble when they talk either to the press or to other staff members in meetings.  It is so clear to me that they really cherish the input of others in their decisions.  They want to know what others think.  They are not about praising themselves, but praising others.

What does Smart, Tough, Dependable mean from the eyes of JS/BD?  It's the way they go about their business which is take it seriously, listen to others, fight through challenges and put the team ahead of yourself.  The kind of guys JS and BD want drive pickup trucks or beater cars, not flashy red exotic sports cars.

beaugestus

As it has been said throughout this thread they LISTEN to everyone within the organization. They have in one year changed the Culture within the team and truly show their appreciation for the input. Making everyone relevant and important. I can't give them enough praise for this past season.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: beaugestus on March 16, 2023, 11:17:32 AMAs it has been said throughout this thread they LISTEN to everyone within the organization. They have in one year changed the Culture within the team and truly show their appreciation for the input. Making everyone relevant and important. I can't give them enough praise for this past season.

I can't help but think that the guys they are picking up are going to love being on this team thanks to the culture Schoen and Daboll have created. For the same reason, I have to believe Love, Slayton, et al want to come back and probably willing to take less to stay here

Philosophers

I also think JS is very upfront and honest.  He does not view the media as his enemy nor the fan base nor the players.  He chooses his words carefully so as not to be dishonest.  I really like that about him.  I have not felt this good about our GM and HC in decades.  I think we are in for a very good ride over the next 10 years.  We may not be a SB team, but we will become a good team.

AZGiantFan

2 things jump out at me, one a solid plus, one a bit of a question mark.

1) to the extent we've been able to see, I like the way he structures contracts, with reasonable exit points that limit the long term risk

2) he is seeming less averse to taking on players with injury issues than I thought he would be.  But even then, he limits the risk contractually.  I would guess that one of the reasons he accepted the Waller injury risk was that there is a free and clear exit point after one season.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jolly Blue Giant

It also appears he (and his coaches) like speed. Everyone we're bringing into the fold has one thing in common: speed

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 16, 2023, 01:56:04 PMIt also appears he (and his coaches) like speed. Everyone we're bringing into the fold has one thing in common: speed

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

how many of have been saying for decades we need more speed on both sides of the ball.  For decades it seemed to be an annual and glaring weakness of our rosters.  Of course we did have a speedy QB before DJ...a guy named Eli ..... LOL.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

killarich

I love how Schoen is doing things , I've always for the most part ...unless the player is an absolute elite player ....always like the strategy of signing 1-2 really good players (okereke/Waller) and then plugging in holes with decent players every where else

Especially since we were a second round team last season .... We've already upgraded our second weakest unit (linebacker) massively ... our wide receiver unit as of now is hovering around ...the same , slightly worse or slightly better ..... but even then overall better offense due to Waller alone ...

And we are not done yet ..... nothing too splashy .... But man are we completing the team

And still a draft to have .... I love the summer but man I can't wait for September lol

GMenRF

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 16, 2023, 01:59:20 PM

Jeff Smith - 4.36 40 at his pro day
Parris Campbell - 4.31 40 (can flex on the outside and play slot)
Darren Waller - 4.46 40 for 6'6" TE

add Saquon as a receiving threat out of the backfield and the savvy of Hodgins to be DJ's safety valve this looks like a decent upgrade over what we had last year.

Now if all of them can stay healthy *crosses fingers*