News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Trying to figure out the astute mind of Schoen

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 15, 2023, 01:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

One thing about this administration. Every single move that has been made was kept out of the rumor mill. About time we were able to keep from telegraphing what we are going to do. Keeps the contracts down, that's for sure. Any rumor out there about the Giants is a red herring or smoke screen
I cannot say enough good stuff about keeping internal discussions complete free of media  :ok:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 16, 2023, 04:45:02 PMOne thing about this administration. Every single move that has been made was kept out of the rumor mill. About time we were able to keep from telegraphing what we are going to do. Keeps the contracts down, that's for sure. Any rumor out there about the Giants is a red herring or smoke screen
I cannot say enough good stuff about keeping internal discussions complete free of media  :ok:

I'm really looking forward to the next Giants Life video, in the hopes of seeing some of the behind the curtains stuff behind these moves.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

todge

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 16, 2023, 04:45:02 PMOne thing about this administration. Every single move that has been made was kept out of the rumor mill. About time we were able to keep from telegraphing what we are going to do. Keeps the contracts down, that's for sure. Any rumor out there about the Giants is a red herring or smoke screen
I don't know JBG. Everyone still knows the Giants need interior linemen, a starting outside CB and a top notch WR. That's not the rumor mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgrangers2

I think Schoen is hitting it out of the park this offseason. Prioritizing upgrades that don't kill us long-term and seemingly everything he's done has been smart:

• There's a big year 2 cap hit, but the Jones contract is incredibly team friendly given the relatively cheap out after 2024. Not to mention that the Giants still have a ton of cap space already for 2024.
  • Didn't give into to Saquon's price and now looks like a genius as the RB market plays out.
  • For all the contracts he's given out, there is very little long-term downside. We don't have the numbers on Okereke but everything else is short-term or structured well. Even if they do restructure Waller, I can't imagine the additional guaranteed money would be prohibitive.
  • Largely passed on the first big wave of free agency where mistakes are often made. It's been said a lot on here, but the really good GMs do their work getting great value in the second and third wave.

Schoen clearly sees a long term picture here and isn't going to sacrifice that to satisfy the people who want instant gratification.

PSUBeirut

In my opinion, the smartest thing Schoen has done this offseason is to openly and transparently complement his moves- The overall message/plan is this- We are going to take a chance on you- you will have the opportunity to come in, compete, and prove yourself on and off the field.  So the first piece is limiting long-term exposure, providing incentives for playing and playing well.

Then he pairs that with the DJ, Slayton, and Barkley signings (I still think they get a 2 or 3 yr deal done with him) - where he is clearly saying- Look, these guys put in the work, they competed and proved their worth to the team- and we reward them for it. 

His plan is as much about culture-building as it is about contracts, years, incentives, etc.  Personally, I love it and I love that he and Dabs are so upfront about what is important in the building. 

Rambo89

Quote from: todge on March 16, 2023, 05:28:47 PMI don't know JBG. Everyone still knows the Giants need interior linemen, a starting outside CB and a top notch WR. That's not the rumor mill.

But who the Giants are targeting in those positions of need are not players you are hearing in the rumor mill which is a change from the previous leaking regimes.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

todge

Quote from: Rambo89 on March 16, 2023, 06:29:59 PMBut who the Giants are targeting in those positions of need are not players you are hearing in the rumor mill which is a change from the previous leaking regimes.
You have no idea what the Giants' Draft Board looks like or any player grades at positions of need. Rumor mills involve needed positions.

bldevil

My bias is that the top end of both the Free Agent market, and the draft, come with a very large premium.

I'm looking at the costs of having both Waller and Campbell which were far less for 2 guys than the reach for one guy, Golladay.  Both guys have injury issues but you get 2 mid-range FAs for the cost (or less than the cost) of 1 high-end FA.  Meanwhile, if you go with a single high-end FA and he underperforms or is injured you are screwed.  There's a form of portfolio diversification that I like, two good players versus 1 extremely good player.

I would also prefer strength-in-numbers in draft picks.  If you do your job scouting you'll inevitably uncover some diamonds in the rough. 

For some positions, say QB, you just have to bite the bullet and invest in a franchise QB albeit via lots of draft picks to trade up or paying $$$ for a good FA QB.  That's my view of what the Giants did with Jones, invested a high draft pick and then extended with $$$.  Maybe you can say the same for DE, LT, or CB.  But for most other positions, I like the mid-range to higher for draft picks and FAs.

You'll end up with a roster of hard-working dudes that spend less time staring in the mirror, have less Diva factor, and spend more time absorbing training and the playbook because they need to get to the next level to improve their next contract and/or to extend their career.

I hope this is what Schoen is doing.

"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

Rambo89

Quote from: todge on March 19, 2023, 06:47:55 PMYou have no idea what the Giants' Draft Board looks like or any player grades at positions of need. Rumor mills involve needed positions.

And neither do you because this regime doesn't leak
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18