News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants are in win now mode

Started by MightyGiants, March 16, 2023, 01:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Get an NFL caliber center, and assuming good health, there will be no more excuses for Jones

Fill in some holes on defense in the draft, and there is no reason to think the Giants can't be a contender (again, assuming good health)

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1636411793890328591

The Giants better do something about their poorly graded S and C coaching staff and the medical program in general.   With all these players with injury risk flags, the Giants desperately need to upgrade their ability to keep players healthy.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Daniel has been paid.

There are no longer any excuses. None.

President Rick

we need a legit CB, hopefully round 1.  Moreau had some good moments; flott showed some potential.  BUT next year, A. Jackson will want a lot of $$$ [what's he now?  18 mil$?] and so we'll still need another CB high in the 2024 draft.  Yes, a center and one more guard.  So far so good.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Giant Obsession

How about we win a few games against the teams in our division first.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

MightyGiants

Quote from: President Rick on March 16, 2023, 03:37:39 PMwe need a legit CB, hopefully round 1.  Moreau had some good moments; flott showed some potential.  BUT next year, A. Jackson will want a lot of $$$ [what's he now?  18 mil$?] and so we'll still need another CB high in the 2024 draft.  Yes, a center and one more guard.  So far so good.

I think the team will sign a low-end vet and likely draft 2 CBs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

I like Brenderson and Ezedu should start being groomed ...I think we stay pat at Guard

Center I'm thinking round 3 to battle it out with Feliciano ....

Feliciano was terrible for most of the season ...but the last month he did pick up play

I think rounds 1-3 HAS to be wr,cb first two rounds no particular order and round 3 a center

MightyGiants

Quote from: killarich on March 16, 2023, 03:49:07 PMI like Brenderson and Ezedu should start being groomed ...I think we stay pat at Guard

Center I'm thinking round 3 to battle it out with Feliciano ....

Feliciano was terrible for most of the season ...but the last month he did pick up play

I think rounds 1-3 HAS to be wr,cb first two rounds no particular order and round 3 a center

If the Giants are lucky a top center could drop to them in round 2.   I am not optimistic that it will happen
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

I understand all the center talk but if Neal doesn't improve probably dramatically, all of the additions will not matter.

MagicRat

Quote from: Giant Obsession on March 16, 2023, 03:39:30 PMHow about we win a few games against the teams in our division first.
Yes.
I've no desire to rain on anyone's parade, but I think Schoen is playing a longer game, painting a bigger picture,than win now.
The FA, and re-signs, have been savvy, VFM jobs rather than splashes.
This club's future will be built draft on draft.
I think we're still two drafts and off-seasons away from being properly January relevant, by that I mean "all the marbles" relevant.....and that's IF Jones works out.
I'm not saying any of that to be critical, I think we're way ahead of schedule.
But we need to temper expectations for 2023.
I'm hoping for double digit wins and a shot at the tournament.
But a step back this year wouldn't necessarily be a disaster.

We're still in a long game.
Smell my cheese you mother!

DaveBrown74

I know we keep saying "this is the year" they need to make a decision on Jones, and obviously 2022 was  a huge year for that, but in a way 2023 is the biggest. Because they are going to need to decide whether they really want to commit to him longer term (by spreading the 2024 cap hit out and maybe even adding years) or whether they want to walk way after 2024 and draft a new QB after this season. So they're really putting themselves in a position where even the bigges apologists have absolutely no leg to stand on, and he's going to have to show he's worth this money. Meaning it is going to have to show in the numbers. No more BS - the numbers will have to be there this year, period, or that's it (after 2024). Right now, even if Waller plays zero games, this receiver/TE corps is strong. And he's not going to play zero games.

Rambo89

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on March 16, 2023, 02:30:33 PMDaniel has been paid.

There are no longer any excuses. None.

Exactly, expectations have to be higher for production and performance than we've seen to this point.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

We will be bringing back:

Hodgins, Robinson (healthy), Slayton, Shepard

All have experience in the offense now, and Hodgins gets an actual offseason to work with as well. They made the playoffs with these guys.

Bellinger and Cager also has experience now at TE, and Campbell is an upgrade over James.

Jeff Smith is a special teamer and no roster lock, but he is equivalent to players like Sills and Marcus Johnson who had significant playing time

Collin Johnson will be healthy and will compete for a depth spot, also not a lock, but he looked poised for a role in the offense in the preseason

But they also added an elite receiving option in Waller, barring health, but I'm sure he checks out if they gave up a too 100 pick for him.

The RB is back along with most of the OL, also equipped with experience, and Jones gets continuity

More players will be added in the draft. No reason he shouldn't have a much better statistical year, and no excuses if he doesn't. If he fails they will be in play for trading up for Caleb or a QB of choice.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 16, 2023, 06:12:06 PMI know we keep saying "this is the year" they need to make a decision on Jones, and obviously 2022 was  a huge year for that, but in a way 2023 is the biggest. Because they are going to need to decide whether they really want to commit to him longer term (by spreading the 2024 cap hit out and maybe even adding years) or whether they want to walk way after 2024 and draft a new QB after this season. So they're really putting themselves in a position where even the bigges apologists have absolutely no leg to stand on, and he's going to have to show he's worth this money. Meaning it is going to have to show in the numbers. No more BS - the numbers will have to be there this year, period, or that's it (after 2024). Right now, even if Waller plays zero games, this receiver/TE corps is strong. And he's not going to play zero games.

DB,

I think it's fair to say that the Giants (Schoen and Daboll and the rest) don't see "apologists." They see astute football people who correctly understood that a lack of support can limit a quarterback.  I think it's time to retire the proven wrong narrative of "apologists".
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

beaugestus

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 16, 2023, 06:53:33 PMDB,

I think it's fair to say that the Giants (Schoen and Daboll and the rest) don't see "apologists." They see astute football people who correctly understood that a lack of support can limit a quarterback.  I think it's time to retire the proven wrong narrative of "apologists".

What I find interesting is even now after the Giants committing to a healthy contract that a word like apologist is bandied about here. IMO, these people have dug in with their negative opinions and I find it arrogant that obviously 2 professionals with obvious credentials are being second guessed.

MagicRat

Quote from: beaugestus on March 17, 2023, 01:02:11 AMWhat I find interesting is even now after the Giants committing to a healthy contract that a word like apologist is bandied about here. IMO, these people have dug in with their negative opinions and I find it arrogant that obviously 2 professionals with obvious credentials are being second guessed.
Exactly.
"Apologists" suggests some sort of emotional, non-analytitical, thinking.
With Jones' contract structured as it is,  we have an "out" if things don't happen for Jones as they could/should/might.
I'm certain Schoen and Dabs won't hesitate to move on from Jones if it's the right thing to do in two years time.
This is what I was talking about in my earlier post.
I think we're, overall,  in a long game.
Can we be competitive in the short/medium term?
Of course.
If players develop as we hope and we catch lightening in a bottle a few times, we can achieve great things.
But I believe the front office are looking way beyond the next two years.
The ongoing development, and evaluation,  of Jones is part of that.
Nobody within the organisation will be an apologist for any player.
Smell my cheese you mother!