News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants are in win now mode

Started by MightyGiants, March 16, 2023, 01:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2023, 03:32:44 PMIf you don't like the term apologist, how about you and others stop repeatedly calling people who have consistently been on record that Jones is a solid, middle of the road QB "haters"?

I searched the term haters going back 90 days.  There were only a handful of results (6 that used the word in relation to Jones).  The interesting finding was that people who were critical of Jones mentioned the term hater more than those who supported Jones. 

The other interesting finding is that no indication was given by those who used the term "hater" was targeting people who consider Jones "middle-of-the-road" with the term.  That seems to be an assumption on your part.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2023, 03:32:44 PMIf you don't like the term apologist, how about you and others stop repeatedly calling people who have consistently been on record that Jones is a solid, middle of the road QB "haters"?

There has been more mislabeling by those who support Jones thrown at those who are critical of him than the other way around.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 03:43:06 PMI searched the term haters going back 90 days.  There were only a handful of results (6 that used the word in relation to Jones).  The interesting finding was that people who were critical of Jones mentioned the term hater more than those who supported Jones. 

The other interesting finding is that no indication was given by those who used the term "hater" was targeting people who consider Jones "middle-of-the-road" with the term.  That seems to be an assumption on your part.

90 days isn't all that long, but okay.

"Jones haters" and "Jones bashers" has been said here plenty for a long time, and I don't need to do a search to know that. That mischaracterization has been couched in other ways too, so your search was narrow. There have been tons of examples of people saying things like "all of you who think Jones stinks" in reference to people who don't think that. That may not use the word "hater", but it's in the same vein as it's a flagrant and deliberate mischaracterization of another person's view.

I'll leave it there, but the point being, I think it's a bit unbalanced to kill someone for saying "apologist" when the constant mischaracterization of those who think Jones is simply middle of the road has gone completely unchecked for years here.

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 03:43:06 PMI searched the term haters going back 90 days.  There were only a handful of results (6 that used the word in relation to Jones).  The interesting finding was that people who were critical of Jones mentioned the term hater more than those who supported Jones. 

I'm only making one post in this topic, and leaving it alone after that.

I have been one on record for thinking he is middle of the road, average, solid, etc, adjective specifics aren't as important.

But anti-DJ, hater, bitter, etc were definitely things directed at me and others, amongst other words I am sure, even if one specific one mentioned did not pop up in search results, others were used as well of accusations of saying he sucks or is bad. It's more of the point of the message, not one super specific adjective.

I'm sure people like fletch don't make things any easier, as I'm sure some people grew tired of that type of stuff, that anything that wasn't full on DJ love, got put into one box cause of those ones, so I can cut some slack and give benefit of the doubt.

Searching one adjective doesn't prove a point, such as when BluesCrus said he was embarassed for "some of you" in regards to people not full on supportive of Jones.

But I digress, again, my last post in this topic, in regards to this

Jclayton92

Jones has signed his contract, he'll be here at least a year or two going forward. I just don't necessarily see the need for fans to babysit him or hold his hand going forward. He either produces or he doesn't period, and if he doesn't then there can't be this "well if" narrative because no one else on this entire team has had the luxury of excuses like Jones has had. 

I just see at least 8 starting position were we still have huge holes and think it's absurd to think we are in win now mode. More likely we are in let's see what Jones really is mode while we continue to build up the roster so if we need to go in a different direction then in 2 years we should have the makings of a solid team and foundation at that time. We have a long way to go before I can even think about us regularly competing in the playoffs much less a super bowl.

Stringer Bell

Are we seriously doing this again?

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Stringer Bell on March 17, 2023, 04:06:04 PMAre we seriously doing this again?

Dude, this is what the board is going to look like for the entirety of DJ's career here.  Then we'll do it with the next QB.  It's our specialty  =))

MightyGiants

A few observations

I pointed out that @DaveBrown74 labeling people who seemingly proven right about Jones as "apologists" was inappropriate.

To my response, I had @kingm56 @Rambo89, @Jclayton92, @EDjohnst1981, and @TrueBlueFan all suddenly show up to defend DB's actions.  I might be missing one or two, but that is a pretty good representation of the seemingly organized wolf pack who have teamed up to badger people who they disagree with or that they don't like over the 4 or 5 months. 

Interestingly, none of the pack acknowledged that it's inappropriate to label people who correctly understood how circumstances could limit a QB's production as apologists.  Yet that same group quickly complained about how they don't like to be labeled.  What ever happen to the golden rule?

How about less hunting and more good natured and respectful talk about the Giants?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: Stringer Bell on March 17, 2023, 04:06:04 PMAre we seriously doing this again?

What is that?  Something you've done consistently

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 04:47:56 PMA few observations

I pointed out that @DaveBrown74 labeling people who seemingly proven right about Jones as "apologists" was inappropriate.

To my response, I had @kingm56 @Rambo89, @Jclayton92, @EDjohnst1981, and @TrueBlueFan all suddenly show up to defend DB's actions.  I might be missing one or two, but that is a pretty good representation of the seemingly organized wolf pack who have teamed up to badger people who they disagree with or that they don't like over the 4 or 5 months. 

Interestingly, none of the pack acknowledged that it's inappropriate to label people who correctly understood how circumstances could limit a QB's production as apologists.  Yet that same group quickly complained about how they don't like to be labeled.  What ever happen to the golden rule?

How about less hunting and more good natured and respectful talk about the Giants?

This goes both ways if we're going to be fair and if we want to be treated with respect then that has to go both ways as well.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 04:47:56 PMA few observations

When have I ever badgered anyone here MG, other than when I am defending myself against a direct provocation initiated by someone other than myself?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2023, 05:21:04 PMWhen have I ever badgered anyone here MG, other than when I am defending myself against a direct provocation initiated by someone other than myself?

Do you believe that people on this forum enjoy you referring to them as "apologists"?

Look, I said my piece.  You can do with it what you will.  I don't think your wolf pack creates a healthy dynamic, but that is just my opinion.  Maybe other people enjoy being teamed up on; who knows? 

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

I think the "pack" fully understand the need for a capable supporting cast.

I don't think anyone thinks otherwise. People have just questioned, whether with better weapons, can he produce and is he worth the cap hit?

My point in my last few posts over the last week is that despite incapable receivers, most of which have been re-signed, he didn't face many top ten Ds last year (I posted this over the last weekend I think). So it's not like he had the hardest job in the league.

Finally, my points in this thread are that the deal was a 2-3 year max deal and frankly the victory laps around securing the long term future at the position were somewhat sanctimonious from a few members. I also supported why I think this with an evidence base.

Im not going to apologise for enjoying the posts of the members you mention, a number of which straddle Giants and Rangers threads.

If that's offensive or abhorrent to anyone, I don't think that's my problem. They don't have to read my stuff. 

It's a discussion board, we can have different viewpoints and this "pack" rarely label or name call.

But fellow pack members, if you are ever 7,000 miles from home and in my tiny town, let's meet up for a beer and I'll hand membership cards.

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 05:43:46 PMDo you believe that people on this forum enjoy you referring to them as "apologists"?

Look, I said my piece.  You can do with it what you will.  I don't think your wolf pack creates a healthy dynamic, but that is just my opinion.  Maybe other people enjoy being teamed up on; who knows? 

Do you believe that I enjoy being labeled someone who hates Daniel Jones and has an extreme take on him?  Because over the last 2-3 years I have been more times than I can remember by multiple posters on here.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 05:43:46 PMDo you believe that people on this forum enjoy you referring to them as "apologists"?

I bet people like being referred to as apologists just as much as other people like being referred to as members of a wolfpack.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Rambo89 on March 17, 2023, 05:15:20 PMWhat is that?  Something you've done consistently

And we were told to stop. I did. How about you?