News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants are in win now mode

Started by MightyGiants, March 16, 2023, 01:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 04:47:56 PMA few observations

I pointed out that @DaveBrown74 labeling people who seemingly proven right about Jones as "apologists" was inappropriate.

To my response, I had @kingm56 @Rambo89, @Jclayton92, @EDjohnst1981, and @TrueBlueFan all suddenly show up to defend DB's actions.  I might be missing one or two, but that is a pretty good representation of the seemingly organized wolf pack who have teamed up to badger people who they disagree with or that they don't like over the 4 or 5 months. 

Interestingly, none of the pack acknowledged that it's inappropriate to label people who correctly understood how circumstances could limit a QB's production as apologists.  Yet that same group quickly complained about how they don't like to be labeled.  What ever happen to the golden rule?

How about less hunting and more good natured and respectful talk about the Giants?
Not sure how I got brought into this, as I simply asked King the over/under for Jones being here beyond a certain time frame. With that in mind though you can't suddenly act like there's some pack (which i wasnt personally aware of and thus feel left out of even though I think/guess im supposed to be a member, maybe i got godfathered in without my knowledge) when there has been a group of really strong Pro Jones supporters among which yourself and he who shall not be named were apart of among others that helped push an Anti-Jones group narrative and when asked repeatedly for you to either A) Do something about it B)not condone it by liking such comments or C) address it by saying it wasn't ok you said (paraphrasing) that people come onto the forum to be positive and if someone is negative or critical of a player ie Jones then they should expect the push back ie Anti-Jones/Jones haters label. When at the same time there were 4 Barkley threads about how he was a bum, and 3 more about cutting Williams but that was ok to be negative about just not Jones.

All that to say I don't care what other people think and neither should you, there are a ton of people here that I disagree with on Jones but agree with on virtually everything else.

Also if you're creating a wolf pack please let me know.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 05:43:46 PMDo you believe that people on this forum enjoy you referring to them as "apologists"?

Look, I said my piece.  You can do with it what you will.  I don't think your wolf pack creates a healthy dynamic, but that is just my opinion.  Maybe other people enjoy being teamed up on; who knows? 

First of all, I don't know why "apologist" is such an offensive term to you or anyone else here. Here is the Miriam Webster's definition:

"someone who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something that is typically controversial, unpopular, or subject to criticism"

Can anyone explain what about this definition is insulting or derisive? Is it not accurate to say that Jones has been a controversial topic or that he has been subject to criticism?

Secondly, I did not call anyone on this board an apologist. I referenced Jones apologists in general. There is a difference. Surely you're aware that there is a whole world of Giants fans (and NFL fans in general) who have never set foot on this board. Jones has been a divisive topic here for a long time, but that has also been the case in the broad Giants community. Within the Giants fan base, there are folks who will never (or almost never) concede that Jones had a bad game or even made a bad play; everything is always someone else's fault. Whether there are such individuals here or not, I did not say that. I was referring to the entire fan base. If someone here took what I did say as referring to them directly, then that's on them, not me. And again, if we're going by the true definition of the word, which I think is pretty reasonable to do, I don't really see what the issue is in the first place. It applies to anyone who generally defends someone or something that is controversial or subject to criticism. So what? I would consider myself an apologist on a number of topics, both football and non-football related.

If anything has been offensive in this thread, it has been your decision in multiple posts to refer to me and others here as a canine animal. Reducing another person to that is absolutely disrespectful and offensive. However, in this case, I am personally not offended by it because I found it to be both so sophomoric and so ironic that it was actually more amusing to me than offensive. However I don't know about how the others to whom you directed that insult felt about it, so they can speak for themselves. Or, at least, until their posts are deleted.