News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Darius Slayton re-signs

Started by killarich, March 16, 2023, 04:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

I still think WR is still a big possibility on day 1 or 2. It all depends who is there of course. 

Trench

Slayton came a long way last year. Still has his drops but u can see he is fast becoming a pro. Definitely shows maturity. Good to have him back. Hope Love is next

GMenRF

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 16, 2023, 06:59:49 PMWaller is a game-changer which means defenses will need to focus less on the players you just listed.  Plus, don't undersell the upgrade of Cambell over James
Yeah, Campbell has 4.3 speed playing the slot with flex to play even on the outside.  He can be used for jet sweeps also unlike James.

MightyGiants

Quote from: GMenRF on March 16, 2023, 11:33:05 PMYeah, Campbell has 4.3 speed playing the slot with flex to play even on the outside.  He can be used for jet sweeps also unlike James.

He can also take the top of a defense, something Ritchie couldn't do.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 07:13:08 AMHe can also take the top of a defense, something Ritchie couldn't do.

I think when you look at the moves together you see Waller and Campbell, who could complement each other in terms of attacking different parts of the field.  They of course also complement the run game keeping safeties and LBs honest.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 17, 2023, 09:12:05 AMI think when you look at the moves together you see Waller and Campbell, who could complement each other in terms of attacking different parts of the field.  They of course also complement the run game keeping safeties and LBs honest.

I think when you have Barkley and Waller, the Giants play action game got much harder to defend.   The LBs will need to respect the running of Barkley (and Jones) while also needing to be right on top of their coverage of Waller who can easily get behind them.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

I like Slayton. Yes the drops are frustrating but he's a passionate player and it's obvious that he really wants to be a Giant. He will probably kill me this fall. Lol.

killarich

Ive said in the past , I admit that Slayton has drop problems

BUT

He also has big play capabilities .... It's something you have to accept.... But those big plays can be something that wins a us a big game one day

It is crazy to me though, he can make some great catches with a defender all over him then drop the ones hes wide open

TDToomer

I think it's funny how both Darius Slayton and Darius Slay were re-signed by their incumbent teams on the same day. Is Darius Rucker their agent?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

PSUBeirut

Is it normal to have so many guys signed with such significant incentive bonuses?  Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but it seems like Schoen really uses this tool to his advantage more than I'm familiar with...

MightyGiants

Quote from: PSUBeirut on March 17, 2023, 12:30:34 PMIs it normal to have so many guys signed with such significant incentive bonuses?  Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but it seems like Schoen really uses this tool to his advantage more than I'm familiar with...

You are not the only one to notice this

https://twitter.com/DDuggan21/status/1636765867311792129
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bldevil

Quote from: PSUBeirut on March 17, 2023, 12:30:34 PMIs it normal to have so many guys signed with such significant incentive bonuses?  Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but it seems like Schoen really uses this tool to his advantage more than I'm familiar with...
Aren't the incentives actually paid out, and charged to the cap, in the year *following* when they are earned?  If so, it seems like a creative way to borrow against future cap allowance.  Since the cap increases each year, the same $ amount--if taken away from the future cap instead of the current cap--is cheaper.

I'm no salary cap expert. Do I have this right?
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

MightyGiants

Quote from: bldevil on March 17, 2023, 12:48:36 PMAren't the incentives actually paid out, and charged to the cap, in the year *following* when they are earned?  If so, it seems like a creative way to borrow against future cap allowance.  Since the cap increases each year, the same $ amount--if taken away from the future cap instead of the current cap--is cheaper.

I'm no salary cap expert. Do I have this right?

It depends on if the incentive is considered "likely to be earned".  If it's LTBE (which is defined as being earned if the player repeats what they did the previous season) the cap hit is for this season.  If it's not likely to be earned incentive (the player needs to perform better) then you are correct that the hit would the next season
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 17, 2023, 09:12:05 AMI think when you look at the moves together you see Waller and Campbell, who could complement each other in terms of attacking different parts of the field.  They of course also complement the run game keeping safeties and LBs honest.

But the whole thing hinges on both of them staying healthy, something they've both struggled with.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll