News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does Daniel Jones have enough talent now?

Started by True Blue, March 17, 2023, 09:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does Jones have enough?

Yes
12 (34.3%)
No
10 (28.6%)
Unsure
13 (37.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: May 06, 2023, 09:38:17 AM

True Blue

Their 4 best wide receivers (Hodgins, Slayton, Robinson and Shepard) are back along with Bellinger, Cager, Barkley and the other RBs

Johnson will be healthy hopefully and Jeff Smith was signed who will both compete for depth/backup spots, at worst these guys are on par with the Sills and Marcus Johnsons of the world who saw significant snaps, but Johnson has more size, and Smith more speed

Campbell is an upgrade over James

They added an elite level receiving option in Waller

All returning players on offense now have experience in the system along with another offseason to work, including Jones, and we still have the draft to potentially add to the OL and more receiving options.

They have no #1 WR, but clearly should be much improved with more talent and depth. But would you say Jones has enough now to have a much better statistical year? Why or why not?

Bob In PA

TrueB: I can't answer your question IMO except to say:

(1) you can never have enough talent;

(2) as you know, we have FOUR injured WR's some people are forgetting about. Assuming they are all ready to compete by opening day at the latest, the Giants have significantly improved their WR/TE squad; and

(3) see number 1 above.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

I answered- unsure.  @Ed Vette has voiced unpopular but certainly valid concerns about the ability of the two big weapon acquisitions to stay healthy.

If healthy, Jones has the weapons he needs.  The ability to stay healthy is the big wildcard. 

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Nothing has been done with the Offensive Line. Yet.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

killarich

I don't see the offensive line as an issue ...it's going to be another off-season where they get to gel

Thomas is a beast, Neal isn't going anywhere ....any slight improvement from Neal is already an upgrade ...a big step forward for Neal and that in itself is a big improvement for the line all together ... Glowinski got better as the season went along and he's on a contract so he's staying

Brenderson and Ezedu are like Neal to me ...they may only get better ......

Only position I think is a possibke mandatory upgrade is Center

MightyGiants

Quote from: killarich on March 17, 2023, 10:12:11 AMI don't see the offensive line as an issue ...it's going to be another off-season where they get to gel

Thomas is a beast, Neal isn't going anywhere ....any slight improvement from Neal is already an upgrade ...a big step forward for Neal and that in itself is a big improvement for the line all together ... Glowinski got better as the season went along and he's on a contract so he's staying

Right now, the only guy on the roster who can play center is Brederson.   The Giants need to bring back Feliciano or someone of similar caliber and ideally add another one via the draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

I think the question is enough talent for what exactly?  Enough talent to challenge the Eagles/Chiefs type teams that are going to be Super Bowl contenders?  Maybe not.  Enough talent to show that he's good enough to warrant the big contract and perhaps a big extension in a year or two?  Absolutely.  This team, unlike previous versions, has been put together with a plan.  He's got a variety of weapons that all do different things.  Defense are going to have a hell of a time trying to cover or contain the weapons on this offense.  Assuming they stay healthy of course. 

So if we still see an offense that can't crack the top 25 of NFL offenses with the group they've now assembled then it's no longer the excuse of "well if he only had better teammates" it is firmly cemented that he's just not the guy that can do what they need him to do to get to that next level.

So they don't need to win the Super Bowl and he doesn't need to throw for 5,000 yards (though it would be nice!) but he needs to show that he can consistently put out good games and win a few on his own if he has to.  He definitely has enough talent around him now to do that.

Ed Vette

This group was not in the top half of the league in pass protection and the incessant whining that had to be endured over Jones not having enough time to throw downfield was relentless. So now we are simply giving them another year to develop the interior players and that's acceptable? There needs to be at least two interior draft picks among day one and two.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

I concur with Ed that the offensive line is still in flux and needs to have five healthy above average starters with some up-n-coming young buck backups. That line is still not fixed to a standard that it needs to be. I cross my fingers that Ezuedu becomes the player envisioned by the staff when he was drafted. It would be nice if Marcus McKethan becomes a stud, but that torn ACL...I don't have a lot of hope. We need to draft a potential pro-bowl center and a stud OG this draft and hopefully, they are quick studies and up-to-speed early on
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 17, 2023, 10:04:35 AMNothing has been done with the Offensive Line. Yet.
Just reading through the thread to see if anyone was going to mention the talent along the front line and not be blinded by the shiny hood ornaments.

If Jones continues to get pressured up front and from his right, it doesn't matter who his receivers are. The passing game starts with the protection up front. Always has, always will.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

TONKA56

Quote from: killarich on March 17, 2023, 10:12:11 AMI don't see the offensive line as an issue ...it's going to be another off-season where they get to gel

I don't care how good the tackles are. If you can't protect your A gap your quarterback is going to struggle.

MightyGiants

Here's my take.  Last year Jones took the team to the playoffs and a first-round victory in a hostile noisy stadium.  He did that with good coaching, PFF's 24th-ranked pass protection, and PFF's 27th-ranked receiving targets.

While I would love to add more proven talent on the line, I think limited resources dictate a more reserved approach counting guys drafted last year to improve and provide greater contributions.

If the offensive receiving weapons stay healthy, Jones will be working with good coaching, and good receiving targets.   2 out of the three support pillars (with some improvement in the third) being good should be enough to allow Jones to take his game to the next level.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 10:36:30 AMHere's my take.  Last year Jones took the team to the playoffs and a first-round victory in a hostile noisy stadium.  He did that with good coaching, PFF's 24th-ranked pass protection, and PFF's 27th-ranked receiving targets.

While I would love to add more proven talent on the line, I think limited resources dictate a more reserved approach counting guys drafted last year to improve and provide greater contributions.

If the offensive receiving weapons stay healthy, Jones will be working with good coaching, and good receiving targets.   2 out of the three support pillars (with some improvement in the third) being good should be enough to allow Jones to take his game to the next level.

And yet another year of excuses for Daniel Jones.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 17, 2023, 10:41:13 AMAnd yet another year of excuses for Daniel Jones.

I don't consider a season where Jones had very good accomplishments, and the team rewarded him accordingly, needing "excuses."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 17, 2023, 10:21:25 AMThis group was not in the top half of the league in pass protection and the incessant whining that had to be endured over Jones not having enough time to throw downfield was relentless. So now we are simply giving them another year to develop the interior players and that's acceptable? There needs to be at least two interior draft picks among day one and two.
I think after they drafted Ezeudu and Mckethan you won't see any interior players unless it's a center day 2.

I think a really good center finishes the line. Glowinski had a down year playing between whoever played center and a rookie RT so I expect him to get better, and if they would have juat let Brederson play I think the guy is the answer at LG, he's gotten better every game he's played.

One good/great find at center and I think we are good.