News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does Daniel Jones have enough talent now?

Started by True Blue, March 17, 2023, 09:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does Jones have enough?

Yes
12 (34.3%)
No
10 (28.6%)
Unsure
13 (37.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: May 06, 2023, 09:38:17 AM

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 17, 2023, 10:57:34 AMI think after they drafted Ezeudu and Mckethan you won't see any interior players unless it's a center day 2.

I think a really good center finishes the line. Glowinski had a down year playing between whoever played center and a rookie RT so I expect him to get better, and if they would have juat let Brederson play I think the guy is the answer at LG, he's gotten better every game he's played.

One good/great find at center and I think we are good.

agreed
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 10:43:27 AMI don't consider a season where Jones had very good accomplishments, and the team rewarded him accordingly, needing "excuses."
His YPA, passing yards and TD's would say you are an outlier. He's slow to process so don't expect him to thread the needle. When Schoen makes statements that they want receivers who can gain separation it speaks to the QB's ability. He needs more time so he doesn't have to escape the pocket, check down or for Kafka design plays to peck away instead of making big plays downfield. One of the reasons Hurts was so successful and Prescott struggled can be associated with protection. The Run Based Offense isn't going to carry the team again this year. DC's catch up.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 17, 2023, 10:57:34 AMI think after they drafted Ezeudu and Mckethan you won't see any interior players unless it's a center day 2.

I think a really good center finishes the line. Glowinski had a down year playing between whoever played center and a rookie RT so I expect him to get better, and if they would have juat let Brederson play I think the guy is the answer at LG, he's gotten better every game he's played.

One good/great find at center and I think we are good.

Glowinski was adequate and can be upgraded. The LG position was a turnstile. I don't think they see Feliciano as the weak link.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TONKA56

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 17, 2023, 11:04:25 AMGlowinski was adequate and can be upgraded. The LT position was a turnstile. I don't think they see Feliciano as the weak link.

I think you mean the RT.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 17, 2023, 11:04:25 AMGlowinski was adequate and can be upgraded. The LT position was a turnstile. I don't think they see Feliciano as the weak link.
I think LG was a turnstile but Brederson cemented himself late season. No argument that RG can be upgraded but in needs of importance I have center as the only issue on the line currently compared to other positions. Now if they bring back Feliciano then I would be ok with a day 2 at any of the interior spots but currently center is a glaring need and the defense needs a whole lotta love.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 17, 2023, 11:01:33 AMHis YPA, passing yards and TD's would say you are an outlier. He's slow to process so don't expect him to thread the needle. When Schoen makes statements that they want receivers who can gain separation it speaks to the QB's ability. He needs more time so he doesn't have to escape the pocket, check down or for Kafka design plays to peck away instead of making big plays downfield. One of the reasons Hurts was so successful and Prescott struggled can be associated with protection. The Run Based Offense isn't going to carry the team again this year. DC's catch up.

I am not opposed to improving protection. I believe that you need to win in the trenches is a football truism.  I just appreciate there are many needs and while less than ideal allowing players to improve is likely going to be part of this season's plans.

Carl Banks spoke in his last podcast that the receivers last season needed to be schemed open.  The group couldn't beat their coverage with their own abilities. That is a less-than-ideal situation for an offense.  I also remember stats that showed the Giants' receivers being among the slowest groups in the league.

So when Schoen talks about the need for separation and adds "need for speed" receivers, he is trying to fix the issues, not with Jones but rather with the sub-par receivers of 2022.  If these receivers stay healthy, Kafka and Daboll will have great tools to put defenses on their heels.  With Waller's threat to LBers in coverage, defending the play action will be a nightmare for opposing DCs.  The LBers will be a step slow in defending Barkley (if they don't immediately bite on a possible play action), or if they do bite or even wait to see how the play goes, they will lose coverage on Waller.

The speed brought to the receiving room will also prevent safeties from cheating up to the LOS to help stop runs by Barkley and Jones.  That should help the running attack.

To Jones and his processing speed, it's difficult to discern this as outsiders viewing the tape.  The QB's coaching staff are really the ones in the position to judge.  If Jones' processing were not NFL caliber, it would be surprising that they gave DJ the contract they did.  So while you may be right in your assessment, I tend to think DJ's processing is fine.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 11:17:02 AMI am not opposed to improving protection. I believe that you need to win in the trenches is a football truism.  I just appreciate there are many needs and while less than ideal allowing players to improve is likely going to be part of this season's plans.

Carl Banks spoke in his last podcast that the receivers last season needed to be schemed open.  The group couldn't beat their coverage with their own abilities. That is a less-than-ideal situation for an offense.  I also remember stats that showed the Giants' receivers being among the slowest groups in the league.

So when Schoen talks about the need for separation and adds "need for speed" receivers, he is trying to fix the issues, not with Jones but rather with the sub-par receivers of 2022.  If these receivers stay healthy, Kafka and Daboll will have great tools to put defenses on their heels.  With Waller's threat to LBers in coverage, defending the play action will be a nightmare for opposing DCs.  The LBers will be a step slow in defending Barkley (if they don't immediately bite on a possible play action), or if they do bite or even wait to see how the play goes, they will lose coverage on Waller.

The speed brought to the receiving room will also prevent safeties from cheating up to the LOS to help stop runs by Barkley and Jones.  That should help the running attack.

To Jones and his processing speed, it's difficult to discern this as outsiders viewing the tape.  The QB's coaching staff are really the ones in the position to judge.  If Jones' processing were not NFL caliber, it would be surprising that they gave DJ the contract they did.  So while you may be right in your assessment, I tend to think DJ's processing is fine.
I'll have to disagree with you on the processing speed. It is a serious issue and has been for Jones, especially if he is not in rhythm or things aren't going well for him. If you put on the Seattle game it's very apparent but it also comes through in every game were we face an actual high level NFL defense. Its not the only reason  but one of a few reasons they went to the quick passing game often.

Ed Vette

Quote from: TONKA56 on March 17, 2023, 11:08:49 AMI think you mean the RT.
I meant LG but RT was worse but hopefully year two will improve
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 17, 2023, 11:24:45 AMI'll have to disagree with you on the processing speed. It is a serious issue and has been for Jones, especially if he is not in rhythm or things aren't going well for him. If you put on the Seattle game it's very apparent but it also comes through in every game were we face an actual high level NFL defense. Its not the only reason  but one of a few reasons they went to the quick passing game often.

What I saw in Seattle was an offense struggling with the crowd noise.  Go back to the tape and watch the uncoordinated way the O-line came off the snap.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

My only hesitation to saying yes is the large amount of WRs/TEs we have with significant injury histories.  If we have another rash of those guys go down, we're going to be right back in the same boat of having to do a ton of scheming around the meager talent that remains.

TONKA56

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 17, 2023, 11:30:12 AMI meant LG but RT was worse but hopefully year two will improve

I believe our RT will find himself at RG if he doesn't up his game. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 11:17:02 AMI am not opposed to improving protection. I believe that you need to win in the trenches is a football truism.  I just appreciate there are many needs and while less than ideal allowing players to improve is likely going to be part of this season's plans.

If they really had faith in his ability, they wouldn't have given him a contract with a two year out and a boatload of incentives.

I can watch film and it doesn't take a guru to see missed opportunities left on the field and I can look at yards of Separation and see Bellinger, James and Slayton with 2-5 yards.

Highlighting this downside doesn't make him a bad QB, it just shows the need for improving time to throw in the pocket. It shows the need for speedy receivers who can gain separation and it shows that scheming receivers reduces his reads to one read.

Rich, I don't want to hear anymore excuses for this Offense. They may not get it right this year but by 2024, this team has to be a serious contender and not some team that had a few breaks go their way and then get humiliated by a real team.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

Voted no. They haven't addressed the offensive line.

babywhales

Jones has what he has at the skill positions

Waller, Hodgins, Campbell and Slayton. Add in sterling as depth and leadership , bellinger at TE and Barkley

He has tools to work with

No #1 but who knows maybe a draft pick or not, it is what it is

Jones needs to benefit from growth at RT and interior line play

There has to be growth, he has two years to convince Giants he is worthy of an extension or he is gone
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Rambo89

Quote from: Gmo11 on March 17, 2023, 10:20:09 AMI think the question is enough talent for what exactly?  Enough talent to challenge the Eagles/Chiefs type teams that are going to be Super Bowl contenders?  Maybe not.  Enough talent to show that he's good enough to warrant the big contract and perhaps a big extension in a year or two?  Absolutely.  This team, unlike previous versions, has been put together with a plan.  He's got a variety of weapons that all do different things.  Defense are going to have a hell of a time trying to cover or contain the weapons on this offense.  Assuming they stay healthy of course. 

So if we still see an offense that can't crack the top 25 of NFL offenses with the group they've now assembled then it's no longer the excuse of "well if he only had better teammates" it is firmly cemented that he's just not the guy that can do what they need him to do to get to that next level.

So they don't need to win the Super Bowl and he doesn't need to throw for 5,000 yards (though it would be nice!) but he needs to show that he can consistently put out good games and win a few on his own if he has to.  He definitely has enough talent around him now to do that.

Well said this is exactly my thinking.  There is enough talent around him where there shouldn't be any reason to deflect from him if the performance and production are not there.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18