News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Evaluating centers in this draft

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 17, 2023, 12:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

londonblue

For me thinking day 2:
1. Tippmann as at worst he will be a future RG but I expect him to succeed at C
2. Wypler has brains and good feet but needs strength
Not keen on any of the other day 2 ranked guys as Avila, Mauch both transitioning position so likely need a redshirt year (which is fine if fall to day 3).

Day 3 project:
Stromberg, who is an inferior athlete to Wypler but has some similar traits but clearly needs a development/strength redshirt year.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 18, 2023, 10:20:50 AMWhat do we think of Tippman? I know MadBadger is a Wisco guy, so maybe he has some color, but his sub 5 40 caught my attention, and Wisco has put out some great linemen in the past. He could be a good plan B if we whiff on Schmitz.

I asked MadBadger about him as I did not know much and he thought he had regressed from the previous season to last season.  The Badgers OL was not its usual dominant unit last year which is probably due to several factors.

Philosophers

I read today that at the University of Minnesota's Pro Day, Giants OL coach Bobby Johnson was running John Michael Schmitz through a bunch of position drills along with the Vikings OL coach.  Maybe the Giants are looking to spring up and grab him in round 1 or 2.

If he is indeed our target, the one team that I can see stepping up in round 1 to take him is the Steelers.  They have a history of  building their OL, particularly their interior OL with round 1 talent.  If my memory serves, over the past 10 years, they drafted David DeCastro, a Guard and Maurice Pouncey, a Center in round 1.