News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants taking Tulane RB out to dinner

Started by MightyGiants, March 17, 2023, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 12:32:07 PMhttps://twitter.com/_RyanFowler_/status/1636174306701893638

Thanks Rich for posting.  I love this.  My view of the evolution of this Giants offense may be to have weapons everywhere and with players who have proven they get beat their opponent.

Jclayton92

The Spears kid, Zach Evans, and the Backup RB at Texas are my top 3 backs as realistically Bijan Robinson will be long gone.

True Blue

This dude has been progressively better each of four years, has never fumbled in college, and can catch a few balls as well.

I like it

A little concerned by size, but he can be a better Matt Breida in that regard,

MightyGiants

I have two take aways from this news:

1)  that they are interested in this prospect

2)  that RB is going to be targetted in this draft
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2023, 02:11:38 PMI have two take aways from this news:

1)  that they are interested in this prospect

2)  that RB is going to be targetted in this draft
They would have to get him with their 2nd as I don't think he makes it to their 3rd rd pick.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 17, 2023, 02:20:51 PMThey would have to get him with their 2nd as I don't think he makes it to their 3rd rd pick.

That would make it a strong interest in targeting a RB in the draft.  I guess contract talks with Barkley are not going that well.  I wonder if they land a RB in day two they consider moving on from Barkley and working a tag-and-trade deal with another team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Puffy

Tulane!!!

Love Tajae - I watched 10 of their 14 games and Spears got better each week.  He was beast against USC

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Puffy on March 17, 2023, 02:35:13 PMTulane!!!

Love Tajae - I watched 10 of their 14 games and Spears got better each week.  He was beast against USC

Welcome to the board.

FWIW (probably not much) he's the 11th ranked RB and 128th ranked RB on the 33rdteam rankings.  So he might be gettable in the 3rd or even 4th round.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/nfl-draft/2023/big-board/
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 17, 2023, 03:09:45 PMWelcome to the board.

FWIW (probably not much) he's the 11th ranked RB and 128th ranked RB on the 33rdteam rankings.  So he might be gettable in the 3rd or even 4th round.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/nfl-draft/2023/big-board/
I hope so but the UCLA kid is dropping like a rock while spears and Gibbs seem to be soaring.

Philosophers

Guys - Here is some information to make you really want to like Tyjae Spears

2023 Game Logs

Massachusetts - 12 rushes 57 yards 3 TDs
Alcorn State - 5 rushes 8 yards 0 TDs
Kansas State - 9 rushes 26 yards 1 TD
Southern Mississippi - 22 rushes 114 yards 2 TDs
Houston - 14 rushes 54 yards 0 TDs
East Carolina - 16 rushes 53 yards 0 TDs
South Florida - 18 rushes 151 yards 2 TDs
Memphis - 24 rushes 125 yards 1 TD
Tulsa - 14 rushes 157 yards 1 TD
Central Florida - 8 rushes 130 yards 0 TDs
Southern Methodist - 13 rushes 121 yards 2 TDs
Cincinnati - 35 rushes 181 yards 2 TDs
Central Florida - 22 rushes 199 yards 1 TD
University of Southern California - 17 rushes 205 yards 4 TDs

Observations

1) Against the biggest teams like USC, Cincinnati, etc., he put up outstanding numbers.
2) In 14 games, he rushed for less than 100 yards in only 4 games and he rushed for less than 4 yards per carry in only 4 games.
3) He got better and better each game throughout the season.

My only negative observation is that in the 33 games he played in his career, he has only 48 receptions and of that only 6 games in which he caught more than 2 balls.  Not sure why that is (i.e. QB play, scheme, not as good catching out of backfield, etc).

Jolly Blue Giant

From what I have read, he's a scat back who could also pass for a slot receiver in the mold of a healthy Shepard as he runs routes like a WR and has great hands. Slight build and wouldn't be used between tackles...supposedly. Once again, Shoen and Daboll are thinking speed, speed, speed (has run a sub 4.4/40). An inch shorter than Tyreek Hill and 10 lbs heavier. Maybe that's what they're thinking how he should be used...poor man's Tyreek  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 17, 2023, 04:41:23 PMFrom what I have read, he's a scat back who could also pass for a slot receiver in the mold of a healthy Shepard as he runs routes like a WR and has great hands. Slight build and wouldn't be used between tackles...supposedly. Once again, Shoen and Daboll are thinking speed, speed, speed (has run a sub 4.4/40). An inch shorter than Tyreek Hill and 10 lbs heavier. Maybe that's what they're thinking how he should be used...poor man's Tyreek  :-??

When I have seen him on tape, he sies not run like a scatback. He runs more in one direction with modest changes off that.  Don't think Barry Sanders type style.  That is also consistent with his low career teceptions.

andrew_nyGiants

It could also be a leverage play to motivate Saquon to sign the offer on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 17, 2023, 05:17:34 PMIt could also be a leverage play to motivate Saquon to sign the offer on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wondered the same thing about the Parris Campbell signing vis a vis Slayton.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll