News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

3 top picks, what are they good for

Started by MightyGiants, March 17, 2023, 05:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The Giants have 3 picks in the first 2 days of the draft.   These are the premium picks that have better odds of drafting a good player and/or an immediate starter

The problem is, by my count we have more ideas of what they are needed for, than we have picks. 

First people have have fairly suggested these picks should be used on:

1) WR
2) Center (and some a guard)
3) A safety to replace Love
4) an edge rusher

Then there are two glaring needs when you break down the roster

1) CB
2) 3 tech DT

Then the team seems to have some interest in possibly drafting a RB with one of those picks as suggested by the interest they showed in a top RB

By my count that is 7 players with only 3 picks.  So which ones get left out?  Which needs can be at least partially filled with a low-level free agent signing (what I anticipate from the Giants moving forward).  Can any of these needs be addressed with a day 3 pick?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ViewFromSection129

I would look at this based on if we need starters or reserves.  Then break it down further by if starters are possibly found in the later rounds or if they really need to be drafted early.

For me, WR, C, and CB are definitely needed starters

S (depends on their opinion of Belton), edge, and DT are more backups.

WR and CB almost certainly need to be early.  Sure, you can find starters later on, but to find a true WR1 and a CB1 (I am assuming we will be replacing Adoree), I would look for that early.  A good C could be found on day three.

Even though I am classifying the other three slots as for backups, edge is more than likely needed early, while S and DT could be found later.

As such, I would angle towards CB, WR, and edge early on.

Philosophers

We had a pretty good D last year and looks to be same this year with guys like Beavers returning and development of Thibs, Belton, Moreau.  I think we need to fix completely this offense.  To me, that begins with a WR1 and a center.  My favorite offensive player is Washington at TE but if he is not picked, I really want us to go after Zay Flowers, Jonathan Mingo and Bryce Ford Wheaton as outside WRs - Flowers for his pure speed/quickness and aggressiveness, Mingo for his size and large catch radius and BFW for his size and speed.

At Center, I like Olu Oluwatimi from Michigan.  He's 6'3" and 307 and has the kind of body to add 10 pounds.  Super smart, technically good and a real leader.  He's not super fast, athletic or strong but sufficient in all three areas.  He was a one year player at Michigan after transferring from Virginia and became the leader of the best OL in college football.  That says something about him.  He also won the Outland Trophy for best interior offensive linemen and the Rimington Award for best center in the country.   All the simulators have him as going in the 5th round or so, but I see him going in the 3rd-4th round.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on March 17, 2023, 06:03:00 PMWe had a pretty good D last year and looks to be same this year with guys like Beavers returning and development of Thibs, Belton, Moreau.  I think we need to fix completely this offense.  To me, that begins with a WR1 and a center.  My favorite offensive player is Washington at TE but if he is not picked, I really want us to go after Zay Flowers, Jonathan Mingo and Bryce Ford Wheaton as outside WRs - Flowers for his pure speed/quickness and aggressiveness, Mingo for his size and large catch radius and BFW for his size and speed.

At Center, I like Olu Oluwatimi from Michigan.  He's 6'3" and 307 and has the kind of body to add 10 pounds.  Super smart, technically good and a real leader.  He's not super fast, athletic or strong but sufficient in all three areas.  He was a one year player at Michigan after transferring from Virginia and became the leader of the best OL in college football.  That says something about him.  He also won the Outland Trophy for best interior offensive linemen and the Rimington Award for best center in the country.   All the simulators have him as going in the 5th round or so, but I see him going in the 3rd-4th round.
Sadly Moreau is still a FA, but maybe they like Robinson to get healthy or my preference Flott over Robinson with Robinson going back to nickel to replace Holmes who is on his final year.

spiderblue43

Find it interesting they are talking to Spears...I certainly agree on the center and a corner. They surprised us with Waller. Schoen pounced there...so maybe they will be unpredictable in the draft too. :confused:

DaveBrown74

I think they are in a position where they need to take a corner in the first two rounds of the draft, almost no matter what. That shouldn't be a problem, but it's something they're just going to have to do. If they don't, they have no obvious CB2, and their CB1 will be a guy who gets hurt at some point every year. Moreover, they may not sign their CB1, so having a rookie to ultimately become the CB1 in future years is important.

There are going to be quality corners available at 25. The top 3 in the draft may be gone by then, but it's not like there won't be good ones. By the time we pick in the second round, it will have thinned out more. I think if they like a corner in the first round, that's the way to go.

Assuming they do that, I would like to see day two consist of an OC. This is a position we have not been good at in a long time, and it's an important one.

For the other pick with the first three picks, there are multiple ways they could go: edge, DT, safety, WR, even another LB are all ways they could go.

While I think the BPA approach should prevail in drafts, I don't see how they can avoid taking a corner with one of their first two picks, given how they attacked free agency and what was available. Fortunately, there should be some good corners when we pick in the first round, almost no matter what.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 18, 2023, 06:21:16 AMI think they are in a position where they need to take a corner in the first two rounds of the draft, almost no matter what. That shouldn't be a problem, but it's something they're just going to have to do. If they don't, they have no obvious CB2, and their CB1 will be a guy who gets hurt at some point every year. Moreover, they may not sign their CB1, so having a rookie to ultimately become the CB1 in future years is important.

There are going to be quality corners available at 25. The top 3 in the draft may be gone by then, but it's not like there won't be good ones. By the time we pick in the second round, it will have thinned out more. I think if they like a corner in the first round, that's the way to go.

Assuming they do that, I would like to see day two consist of an OC. This is a position we have not been good at in a long time, and it's an important one.

For the other pick with the first three picks, there are multiple ways they could go: edge, DT, safety, WR, even another LB are all ways they could go.

While I think the BPA approach should prevail in drafts, I don't see how they can avoid taking a corner with one of their first two picks, given how they attacked free agency and what was available. Fortunately, there should be some good corners when we pick in the first round, almost no matter what.

I agree with CB and Center (for now, I saw reporters the Giants might target a better veteran center).  I really think a 3 tech DT is the other pressing issue
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 18, 2023, 06:57:28 AMI agree with CB and Center (for now, I saw reporters the Giants might target a better veteran center).  I really think a 3 tech DT is the other pressing issue

No argument from me on that. As good as our two IDLs are, when you have nothing but scrubs after that at that position, teams can really take advantage. A recent example was in the Eagles playoff game. We need that third DT very badly. Plus, who knows how long Williams will be around?

If I could have my druthers, assuming they weren't reaching in any of these three cases, I would love to see a CB, OC, and DT drafted with the first three picks.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 18, 2023, 07:03:11 AMNo argument from me on that. As good as our two IDLs are, when you have nothing but scrubs after that at that position, teams can really take advantage. A recent example was in the Eagles playoff game. We need that third DT very badly. Plus, who knows how long Williams will be around?

If I could have my druthers, assuming they weren't reaching in any of these three cases, I would love to see a CB, OC, and DT drafted with the first three picks.

Plus, I am always mindful that you are not just drafting for this season.   DTs often take a year to develop in the NFL.   Leo's gone after this season, so they really need to start getting his replacement ready.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Don't you just love that Schoen communicates to Giants fans and the world yet he does not show his cards?

Jclayton92

We really need 2 maybe 3 corners
A safety
A middle linebacker
3rd Edge
Starting DE
More dline depth
A center
Guard depth
A #2 RB that can be our starter
A #1 Wr

A lot of holes

Jolly Blue Giant

There are more than three for sure. As for me...if I stick with the first three picks: WR, CB, Center
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MagicRat

The 3 BPA on our draft board as the picks come round.
Draft the player,not the position.
Smell my cheese you mother!

Jclayton92

Think it has to be a Corner, Safety, and Center assuming there is no new signings. A lot on the center part depends on if they are going with Brederson at center.

Philosophers

I want 3 Day 1 starters who are top 50th percentile or higher at their position their rookie year and grow from there.  That's a high bar especially for late round selecting.

Weakest Starting GMen Positions

1) Center
2) WR1
3) ILB (Next to Bobby O)
4) LG
5) Safety

Other Positions For Beyond Next Season

1) CB1
2) CB2
3) 3 Tech DT
4) RB1

My guess is they address some from each group based on draft strength/depth at those positions and perceived value/importance of position.

My hope would be a Center, WR1 and a boundary CB2 who can become a good CB1 assuming we lose Jackson after next season.