News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

3 top picks, what are they good for

Started by MightyGiants, March 17, 2023, 05:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on March 19, 2023, 09:03:20 PMI want 3 Day 1 starters who are top 50th percentile or higher at their position their rookie year and grow from there.  That's a high bar especially for late round selecting.

Weakest Starting GMen Positions

1) Center
2) WR1
3) ILB (Next to Bobby O)
4) LG
5) Safety

Other Positions For Beyond Next Season

1) CB1
2) CB2
3) 3 Tech DT
4) RB1

My guess is they address some from each group based on draft strength/depth at those positions and perceived value/importance of position.

My hope would be a Center, WR1 and a boundary CB2 who can become a good CB1 assuming we lose Jackson after next season.
Alot of our problems would be solved with a healthy Beavers, and them resigning Feliciano, and Moreau who cost about a million a piece last season. That would allow us to have a wide open board and pick the best players possible when it's our pick

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 20, 2023, 12:11:29 AMAlot of our problems would be solved with a healthy Beavers, and them resigning Feliciano, and Moreau who cost about a million a piece last season. That would allow us to have a wide open board and pick the best players possible when it's our pick

Beavers wont be 100% next season 1 year after his injury.  Wont be until the season after and that would be his 3rd season.  I think we need to look at draft prospects.

I want Feliciano out.  We need a great young stud center, someone who is here for 5-10 years like a Nick Mangold.

andrew_nyGiants

I think they surprise a lot of people and NOT take a WR with their 1st 3 picks.

I'm seeing:
1) CB
2) C
3) LB/Edge

McCloud may just be the sleeper to replace Love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

True Blue

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 20, 2023, 12:57:52 PMI think they surprise a lot of people and NOT take a WR with their 1st 3 picks.

I'm seeing:
1) CB
2) C
3) LB/Edge

WR is definitely less of a need now, with what you listed I would agree are their main needs now for this season. It was DL but with them signing Nacho and Robinson, I can see them rolling with the group they have for 2023

Jclayton92

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 20, 2023, 12:57:52 PMI think they surprise a lot of people and NOT take a WR with their 1st 3 picks.

I'm seeing:
1) CB
2) C
3) LB/Edge

McCloud may replace Moreau but not Love as McCloud plays boundary corner. Pinnock may be the one that replaces Love.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 20, 2023, 01:18:37 PMMcCloud may replace Moreau but not Love as McCloud plays boundary corner. Pinnock may be the one that replaces Love.

I was going through McCloud's reps at the end of the season.   According to PFF McCloud was taking reps at both boundary (most games he took snaps in) and slot (all the snaps of the week 18 Philly game).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

While the Giants still have plenty of needs, I actually feel pretty good going into the draft that we can compete at a high level with the talent we have on the team.  I still believe Schoen should focus on foundational pieces in the draft - namely of the offensive and defensive lines, especially with the high draft picks.

I'd also consider the cap we have allocated at the positional groups as they stand and what positions can realize some low-cost/high-impact rookies, especially with an eye towards long term fiscal security.  IE: interior offensive linemen and linebackers are both areas of need, historically have better success rates in the early rounds than other positions, and can typically be main-stays for many years to come for "peanuts" comparable to other positions.  With the spending done for Barkley and Jones this will be something to keep an eye on.