News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should we, Could we pursue S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 18, 2023, 09:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Eagles' star safety is still available and is the top free agent left. He would cost quite a bit more than what we offered Love, but it would give us a top two tandem of safeties in the NFL and shore up our defensive backfield. Gardner-Johnson is only 25 yrs old, so he has good years left and the best yet to come. He transitioned from slot corner to safety last season and finished with six interceptions. He wouldn't be cheap (probably twice the cost of Love) and would have a secondary effect of sticking a needle in the eye of the Eagles who have done that more than once to us
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Symphony Steve

Both he and Isaac Seimalo are still out there.  I kinda think that Howie's telling them he's trying to bring them both back.  Have no idea how he'll do it, though. 

Team has resigned their older players.  Doubt that they'll all perform at the same level.  I see some likely decline for them in 2023.

Jclayton92

I asked that the other day in one of the threads. The problem with CJGJ is that I think teams see him as a hybrid nickel defender only which is hurting his stock. He tweeted out that he was disrespected by the offers so far 2 days ago before deleting it.

He was playing safety on 1st/2nd downs before moving into the nickel on 3rd downs for the Eagles last season.

Jolly Blue Giant

The way I look at it...and I suspect Schoen does too...is construct the team to win the division first and foremost. Then connive to win the Conference. And then ready yourself to win the whole enchilada and dance in the streets with a Lombardi

Smart moves include building a solid team, but if you can also weaken a division foe at the same time - go for it. Sorta like the Eagles snagging Bradberry last year when we were up against the cap last year. It improved their team and weakened ours. It's a tactic that might have bigger (at least quicker) rewards than just improving the team one player at a time. Of course, one doesn't want to handcuff themselves in doing so, by ending back to being cap strapped down the road. but if it's doable, I say go for it!
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

kartanoman

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 18, 2023, 10:09:51 AMSmart moves include building a solid team, but if you can also weaken a division foe at the same time - go for it. Sorta like the Eagles snagging Bradberry last year when we were up against the cap last year. It improved their team and weakened ours. It's a tactic that might have bigger (at least quicker) rewards than just improving the team one player at a time.

I like your thinking, Ric, and it brings to mind why Parcells is in the HoF. He did the same thing back in the day ... Ottis Anderson, Everson Walls and Steve DeOssie come to mind.

He would immediately upgrade the secondary and all but eliminate the need to draft that position. But can Schoen put together a package to draw him up the Turnpike?

I wouldn't mind if this panned out.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)