News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NYGA- Giants' Joe Schoen was always transparent about his approach to WRs

Started by babywhales, March 21, 2023, 12:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babywhales

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/20/giants-joe-schoen-was-always-transparent-about-his-approach-to-wrs/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0so1atU-qPuNz31B3wo-PKHt9JOW2JNMQZJanYW9Ay4OBfN8LElej2-Eg&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

"I think we want to continue to build the entire team. Again, I know a number one wide receiver can be important, but there's some number one wide receivers that are home right now," Schoen said. "You can go through this past weekend; you can go through a couple of weekends ago in the playoffs. A number one receiver doesn't guarantee you anything.

]"I think it's important that we continue to build the team, and there's multiple positions where we want to upgrade throughout the offseason. So, yeah, I'd love to have a number one wide receiver. But we've got to place value on everything we do, and if it makes sense, that's something we'll look to do."
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Ed Vette

Apparently not really the pearl-clutching issue it was made out to be.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Quote from: babywhales on March 21, 2023, 12:51:44 PMhttps://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/20/giants-joe-schoen-was-always-transparent-about-his-approach-to-wrs/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0so1atU-qPuNz31B3wo-PKHt9JOW2JNMQZJanYW9Ay4OBfN8LElej2-Eg&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

"I think we want to continue to build the entire team. Again, I know a number one wide receiver can be important, but there's some number one wide receivers that are home right now," Schoen said. "You can go through this past weekend; you can go through a couple of weekends ago in the playoffs. A number one receiver doesn't guarantee you anything.

]"I think it's important that we continue to build the team, and there's multiple positions where we want to upgrade throughout the offseason. So, yeah, I'd love to have a number one wide receiver. But we've got to place value on everything we do, and if it makes sense, that's something we'll look to do."

If you paid close attention, if you want to know what this GM is thinking about (NOTE: in reference to the thread dedicated to that very thought), he said it right here ...

VALUE

Blatantly obvious, he is all that and more. Because of it, he is driving down the consequences of the issues presented him by the previous regime while mitigating risk as he builds the new empire. Once the last of the previous regime is removed off the books, and it becomes all his, it will be then I would expect him to try one or two less risk-adverse moves in line with consensus with all internal stakeholders. He is playing his cards perfectly for the situation he is in, and he's going to come out of this free agency period with some solid additions. Maybe not all of them will make it, but that's the beauty in setting up the deals in the manner that he did with the new players.

In the past, we discussed who in the world would want to come to the Giants' organization. Taking a look at the young men they signed, each one of them has something to prove, wants to be part of something that's positive, and is prepared to demonstrate the head coach's "smart, tough, dependable" motto. Those aren't always the fastest or flashiest guys, but those who understand and play true to the very basics of the game.

If nothing else, Joe Schoen has clearly demonstrated the Football Giants are seriously back to building their brand of football. This is Year number two and they have done well, thus far, in maintaining continuity where they believe the team is poised to grow. There is a draft and a waiver wire, prior to getting down to the required roster count where the team will fill out. Joe Schoen will continue to employ his practices in doing so and the Giants will be ready to take the next step which will be challenging, but something they are capable of doing.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

I think he subscribes heavily to the chain is only as strong as its weakest link theory. 

He invested in improving pass catchers.  Maybe he finds another however he has other weak links he needs to focus in with the team.

zephirus

He makes plenty of good points and they're points that have been expressed here.  Count me among the group that doesn't have wide-out as a top need.  With the resigning of Slayton and Hodgins, and a low-cost resigning of Sheperd, we have plenty of competition/bodies at the position for camp.  I think some of them present enough deep speed to keep defenses honest.  With the money we sunk into Jones and Barkley, it makes sense to keep the focus of the offense on "small ball" with opportunistic deep shots.  Continue to leverage Jones' ability to run with Barkley (who can hit home runs on his own in the run game), and dink/dunk with your bootlegs and seam routes to tight ends.

Another consideration here that I doubt Schoen would ever express is a massive shift in how wide receiver is prioritized around the league.  Look at what Andy Reid is doing (in addition to winning Super Bowls) - he's NOT keeping wide receivers once they've outlived their welcome and ships them off.  Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill had massive years last year, and their teams didn't sniff the Superbowl.  Justin Jefferson and DK Metcalf will each get big pay days. Drafting a wide receiver high is almost an invitation to having them bitch/moan after 3 years about a big pay day when their impact to winning is proving to be not as essential as other positions.  Andy Reid uses mid round picks for talent there either by draft or trade (like Toney), and I would doubt any of them see a second contract from the Chiefs.  He's also done well with some cast-offs/wash-ups like Sammy Watkins.  Point is, if you pay your QB, you're going to have to deal with being creative at wideout.  There's only so many dollars to go around, and even top picks get expensive in a hurry.

MightyGiants

At this point, I am more concerned about getting a center than I am a "number 1" WR.  There wasn't nor is there a realistic path for the Giants to acquire a number one WR.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

True Blue

Jclayton92

Quote from: zephirus on March 21, 2023, 03:18:28 PMHe makes plenty of good points and they're points that have been expressed here.  Count me among the group that doesn't have wide-out as a top need.  With the resigning of Slayton and Hodgins, and a low-cost resigning of Sheperd, we have plenty of competition/bodies at the position for camp.  I think some of them present enough deep speed to keep defenses honest.  With the money we sunk into Jones and Barkley, it makes sense to keep the focus of the offense on "small ball" with opportunistic deep shots.  Continue to leverage Jones' ability to run with Barkley (who can hit home runs on his own in the run game), and dink/dunk with your bootlegs and seam routes to tight ends.

Another consideration here that I doubt Schoen would ever express is a massive shift in how wide receiver is prioritized around the league.  Look at what Andy Reid is doing (in addition to winning Super Bowls) - he's NOT keeping wide receivers once they've outlived their welcome and ships them off.  Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill had massive years last year, and their teams didn't sniff the Superbowl.  Justin Jefferson and DK Metcalf will each get big pay days. Drafting a wide receiver high is almost an invitation to having them bitch/moan after 3 years about a big pay day when their impact to winning is proving to be not as essential as other positions.  Andy Reid uses mid round picks for talent there either by draft or trade (like Toney), and I would doubt any of them see a second contract from the Chiefs.  He's also done well with some cast-offs/wash-ups like Sammy Watkins.  Point is, if you pay your QB, you're going to have to deal with being creative at wideout.  There's only so many dollars to go around, and even top picks get expensive in a hurry.

Same thing with all skills RB and Wrs a lot of them are interchangeable especially the cheaper ones if you have a Solid foundation.

bamagiantfan

There was no great option for a top 10 WR so Schoen went and got a top 10 TE (some might argue top 5). The Waller addition changes the Offense. He is a mismatch for everyone and is only a couple of years removed from leading all TEs in receptions. That was in a different Offense under a different coach. I believe the talent is still there. I am hopeful but as a person who desperately wanted the Giants to sign Golladay a few years ago, and they did, I have learned to temper my enthusiasm.

I am praying the Giants good luck for signing receivers has been piling up somewhere. Waller is the #1 we were hoping for.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)