News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Jalen Hurts gets a Monster Extension

Started by Rambo89, April 17, 2023, 11:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Rambo89

The $179 million guaranteed plus the no trade clause I can't wrap my head around.  Unlike with Wentz there is little wiggle room for them to get out from under this like they did with Wentz.

MightyGiants

All of this after one good year with the best O-line and the best receiving targets in the NFL

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1647978455462555648

I would say "wreckless" is a good description of this contract.  Although, like all contracts, the devil is in the details, and we don't have that info yet.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

He's one of the best QB in football and his deal was coming up.  If they had waited until he hit FA somebody else gives him more or they have to franchise tag him and really piss him off. 

It's likely the last year or even last 2 years will have a bulk of the cap hit so they will probably have to extend/cut him then but for the next 3 years they get a real franchise QB that's happy and a fully built team around him to try and win a Super Bowl.  To me this was probably the right thing to do.

This is their window to win a Super Bowl.  Those windows close fast.  They have to try and capitalize. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on April 17, 2023, 11:21:50 AMHe's one of the best QB in football and his deal was coming up.  If they had waited until he hit FA somebody else gives him more or they have to franchise tag him and really piss him off. 

It's likely the last year or even last 2 years will have a bulk of the cap hit so they will probably have to extend/cut him then but for the next 3 years they get a real franchise QB that's happy and a fully built team around him to try and win a Super Bowl.  To me this was probably the right thing to do.

This is their window to win a Super Bowl.  Those windows close fast.  They have to try and capitalize. 

People used to say Dak Prescott was one of the best in the league when he had the best line and the best receivers.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: Rambo89 on April 17, 2023, 11:14:06 AMThe $179 million guaranteed plus the no trade clause I can't wrap my head around.  Unlike with Wentz there is little wiggle room for them to get out from under this like they did with Wentz.

I agree, this is alot of money, and probably more than he should have gotten. But he did just make the Super Bowl and almost won, so credit there to Hurts I suppose.

When you have a legitimate franchise caliber QB that can get you there, you lock them up without worrying about having an out a few years in.

He made it to the dance, fell a little short, but the roster is still pretty stacked overall, and with THE best GM in the NFL and the draft capital they have, they should be expected to be effectively restocked, and a contender again in 2023. I think the division as a whole will be more competitive, but until proven otherwise, the NFC in its entirety is still fairly weak right now, they look to still be as good a team as any right now. Although I am sure a few teams, including the Giants, will make strides of improvement to strengthen the conference a bit.

Jclayton92

Let's just say I'd pay Hurts 255 million before I ever gave Jones a contract for a 100 million much less 160 million.  It's that big of a difference in the talent gap.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: Gmo11 on April 17, 2023, 11:21:50 AMHe's one of the best QB in football and his deal was coming up.  If they had waited until he hit FA somebody else gives him more or they have to franchise tag him and really piss him off. 

I see him like I see Dak more of a product of what he's surrounded by than himself.  Don't get me wrong he's a solid QB but is surrounded by a ton of talent.  A ton of talent that like with Dallas and Dak will become more difficult to retain over the next few seasons.

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 17, 2023, 11:25:42 AMLet's just say I'd pay Hurts 255 million before I ever gave Jones a contract for a 100 million much less 160 million.  It's that big of a difference in the talent gap.

I wasn't thrilled (though not upset) with the Jones contract but seeing what Hurts got it's a bargain.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 17, 2023, 11:23:11 AMPeople used to say Dak Prescott was one of the best in the league when he had the best line and the best receivers.

I'm not sure it's the same situation though.  The Cowboys backing up the truck for Dak before he even sniffed a Super Bowl is a little different to me than the Eagles having the best team in football all year, making it to the Super Bowl, and then losing to the most talented QB we've ever seen.  That team is prepped to win right now and we've seen it.  Any QB contract could turn out to be a disaster if the guy gets hurt or just doesn't play as well once he signs but from the Eagles standpoint I completely understand why they did it.  And the point Brandt makes about getting in before Burrow and Herbert also shouldn't be ignored.  Those guys will both be getting at least this much.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Rambo89 on April 17, 2023, 11:27:03 AMI see him like I see Dak more of a product of what he's surrounded by than himself.  Don't get me wrong he's a solid QB but is surrounded by a ton of talent.  A ton of talent that like with Dallas and Dak will become more difficult to retain over the next few seasons.

I wasn't thrilled (though not upset) with the Jones contract but seeing what Hurts got it's a bargain.
Jones is nowhere near Hurts so it should have been a bargain. Hurts is consistent whereas Jones isn't and it makes all the difference in the world. You get the same Hurts every game whereas you don't know what Jones your going to get. You could get Seattle Jones or Indy Jones. Besides his awareness, and a few mechanical things that is my biggest worry with Jones is that he'll never be consistent enough in his play to maximize anything we get him offensively.

todge

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 17, 2023, 11:25:42 AMLet's just say I'd pay Hurts 255 million before I ever gave Jones a contract for a 100 million much less 160 million.  It's that big of a difference in the talent gap.
I would suggest the talent gap is the offensive line and WRs, not the QB. Put Jalen Hurts on the Giants and this team is the same.

A QB is only as good as his surrounding cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambo89

Quote from: todge on April 17, 2023, 11:42:21 AMI would suggest the talent gap is the offensive line and WRs, not the QB. Put Jalen Hurts on the Giants and this team is the same.

For average QB's like Hurts and Jones it is the case.  But not for the elite level ones.

Jclayton92

Quote from: todge on April 17, 2023, 11:42:21 AMI would suggest the talent gap is the offensive line and WRs, not the QB. Put Jalen Hurts on the Giants and this team is the same.

Its pretty clear how the Eagles do without Hurts.. They go 13-1 with him and then can't buy a win without him. Their backup QB was one of the better backups in the league and they still got manhandled without Hurts.

For you to suggest that the talent gap between Jones and Hurts is just pieces around them is laughable seriously.

Hurts wad Dominant in High school, Dominant at 2 different colleges 51-5, and has been amazing his first few seasons in the league.. Jones has never done any of that at any level yet they are similar?

The Giants would be a completely different team with Hurts as Qb. I just don't know how you compare a guy that just went to the Super Bowl and was in the MVP discussion with a guy who has had 1 decent year out of 4 in the NFL. Wild.