News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

the Clemson Curse

Started by MightyGiants, April 24, 2023, 09:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Should teams avoid prospects from Clemson?

Behind a paywall, Go Long had three scouts mention the high rate of busts when drafting Clemson products.

From the article:

QuoteOf the 36 players from Clemson that have been drafted in the first round, subjective judgment would label 15 as busts: defensive end Clelin Ferrell, defensive end Shaq Lawson, defensive end Vic Beasley, linebacker Stephone Anthony, wide receiver Sammy Watkins, defensive end Gaines Adams (who died young), cornerback Tye Hill, wide receiver Rod Gardner, Edwards, running back Terrence Flagler, wide receiver Perry Tuttle, defensive tackle Jim Stuckey, quarterback Steve Fuller, running back Bobby Gage and back Banks McFadden.

The three-year career of Cardinals linebacker-safety Isaiah Simmons, the eighth player chosen in 2020, has been a disappointment.

Clemson has had 12 defensive linemen and four linebackers taken in Round 1 but not one offensive lineman. In fact, of the 38 offensive linemen the Tigers have had play in the NFL, only Washington center Jeff Bostic (1983) made a Pro Bowl.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 24, 2023, 09:23:37 AMShould teams avoid prospects from Clemson?

Behind a paywall, Go Long had three scouts mention the high rate of busts when drafting Clemson products

No. Just do your due diligence. If we had avoided Clemson we would have missed on big Dex and no one drafted in that part of the draft would have been a better fit for this defense.

Jolly Blue Giant

For the Giants, I see Ohio State as the curse... Maybe because of Eli Apple. Hankins wasn't bad, but he didn't get a second contract from the Giants. And of course, a whole lot of people in the web universe destroyed our decision to take Daniel Jones when Dwayne Haskins was a "better" option

Maybe it's just me, but I'm leery of Ohio State players  :-??

I feel comfortable with SEC players from 'Bama and Georgia (and most other teams in the SEC) because of the competition they've faced in college. So if it comes down to player "A" from Georgia vs. player "B" from Texas A&M...I'd take the Georgia player if both players were rated exactly the same...simply because of their training and past competition
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

True Blue

15 of 36 are "bust" would indicate 21 are good players, one of which is Dexter Lawrence.

Not sure there's any logic to passing on Clemson prospects or any school really. There's busts every year from many programs, all about doing due diligence and picking players that are both a schematic and cultural fit, and that the coaches all want to have on board.

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: madbadger on April 24, 2023, 09:28:54 AMNo. Just do your due diligence. If we had avoided Clemson we would have missed on big Dex and no one drafted in that part of the draft would have been a better fit for this defense.

The Giants have actually been quite successful drafting out of Clemson.  We don't do it often but both Wayne Gallman and BJ Gooodson (before he wrecked his knee) offered bang for our mid round bucks.

Lawrence and Terry Kinard are the only first rounders and for those that don't remember the latter, he was fabulous. He's in the College HoF,  was AP DROY in 1983 and had 27 picks for us in 7 years, sadly missing Super Bowl XXI after tearing his knee up late in the season