News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants have resumed talks with Barkley

Started by Painter, April 30, 2023, 12:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

Before the Draft had even ended the Giants began negotiating a multi- with Saquon, or so it has been reported.

Cheers!

BluesCruz

The Eagles showed the way on this one
They said farewell to their all pro RB Miles Sanders.  Nice knowing you, have a good life

Barkley is an oft hurt, jitterbugging, pass dropping, non blocking ok running back

He is eminently replaceable.......let him walk like the Eagles did with Sanders

Enough drama with this guy.  His Yellow jacket has been returned to the mfg.
They should send it to Gettleman as a momento of his biggest mistake
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Fletch

Completely mind boggling to
Me that the best player on this team is treated with this disrespect. This guy was the focal point of this offense.

Do not use the eagles as an example . They have an MVP QB. We don't. They have a great line and great wide receivers . We don't. We had or have Barkley. Without that how is this offense going to do anything?

MightyGiants

Initially, I wasn't all that eager to lock up Barkley.  Now, I am hoping they get a 2 (maybe 3) year deal done.  I like Gray but he's 24, just one year younger than Barkley.  So NYG sort of needs Barkley now that the draft is over.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: Fletch on April 30, 2023, 02:07:45 PMCompletely mind boggling to
Me that the best player on this team is treated with this disrespect. This guy was the focal point of this offense.

Do not use the eagles as an example . They have an MVP QB. We don't. They have a great line and great wide receivers . We don't. We had or have Barkley. Without that how is this offense going to do anything?

I would suggest they install Grey at RB and make use of the upgraded passing game

Brightwell as backup

Barkley is feast and then long periods of famine.....he is not a reliable chain mover nor does he consistently
get good positive yardage on 1st and second downs

Jones is very often forced into 3rd and long or use his own feet for a 1st down

Barkley is overhyped

uconnjack8

Perhaps his agent and he have accepted where the market is and they can get a 3 year deal done that lowers the cap hit this year signficantly.

Fletch

Your description of Barkley sounds more like the prior seasons Barkley. And I was as big a critic of that play as anybody. But since the oline has been decent he has been much better.

What upgraded passing game are you talking about? All of our supposedly bottom of the barrel wide receivers have now found a home on a Super Bowl championship team. I guess the coach and GM of the defending Super Bowl champs have a different opinion of our wide receivers corps than many on this site do.

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on April 30, 2023, 01:54:52 PMThe Eagles showed the way on this one
They said farewell to their all pro RB Miles Sanders.  Nice knowing you, have a good life

Barkley is an oft hurt, jitterbugging, pass dropping, non blocking ok running back

He is eminently replaceable.......let him walk like the Eagles did with Sanders

Enough drama with this guy.  His Yellow jacket has been returned to the mfg.
They should send it to Gettleman as a momento of his biggest mistake

When was Miles Sanders an "All Pro"?
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

BluesCruz

Quote from: Fletch on April 30, 2023, 02:53:58 PMYour description of Barkley sounds more like the prior seasons Barkley. And I was as big a critic of that play as anybody. But since the oline has been decent he has been much better.

What upgraded passing game are you talking about? All of our supposedly bottom of the barrel wide receivers have now found a home on a Super Bowl championship team. I guess the coach and GM of the defending Super Bowl champs have a different opinion of our wide receivers corps than many on this site do.

I could not agree with you more about Richie James....he was a 1st down machine
Signing him would have been easy.....same with Julian Love

So Barkley showed some fight last year, his contract year
now he sulks
Please, lets move on

Barkley disappeared against Philly   I'm sorry he is just not my cup of tea

PSUBeirut

Quote from: BluesCruz on April 30, 2023, 03:13:57 PMI'm sorry he is just not my cup of tea

Really?  LOL.  I think we get where you stand on it.  Good thing 99% of the fanbase and our front office completely disagrees, so we can go out and win more actual football games. 

coggs

Barkley and his agent need to accept they screwed up not taking the alleged ~$12MM per back in November.  I would have hated that deal, but it is immaterial now.  Schoen should offer 3 years, $24MM with $15-20MM guaranteed.  Lowers the cap hit for the Giants.  Gives Barkley more guaranteed money than he gets on the franchise tag.  If he doesn't like it, sign the franchise tag and hope you can get a better deal next season.  NOBODY is going to give him a better deal this year in terms of money AND give up the two 1st round draft picks as compensation.

Painter

I like Barkley as a player and as a person and hope that he signs his tag and takes it from there. In no way, can we blame him for his injuries and lost production with the otherwise trite observation that the best ability is availability.

However, that said, we should not lose sight of the fact that even with his brilliant OROY first season, while playing with a still capable Eli, the Giants won a mere 4 games.

And then last year, after  making a major contribution to the success of the first two-thirds of the season, his performance protracted noticeably in the final third and into the Playoffs. And so, let's hope that he and his "trailblazing" agent, Kim Miale will show some market-related common sense even as it stretched a bit in this week's Draft.

Assuming the Giants choose to offer a multi-, it might be a good idea to include a limit on the number of snaps that he is expected/required to be on the field either on a season's average or max per game basis.

Cheers!

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on April 30, 2023, 03:13:57 PMBarkley disappeared against Philly   I'm sorry he is just not my cup of tea

How did he disappear against Philly?  Giants got blown out so quickly early they didn't even have a chance to establish the run.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

coggs

Quote from: Rambo89 on April 30, 2023, 04:35:20 PMHow did he disappear against Philly?  Giants got blown out so quickly early they didn't even have a chance to establish the run.
Again with the facts.  Some people just want to ignore them.

Leek21

Quote from: BluesCruz on April 30, 2023, 02:36:20 PMI would suggest they install Grey at RB and make use of the upgraded passing game

Brightwell as backup

Barkley is feast and then long periods of famine.....he is not a reliable chain mover nor does he consistently
get good positive yardage on 1st and second downs

Jones is very often forced into 3rd and long or use his own feet for a 1st down

Barkley is overhyped

Not reliable ?

From last year:

295 carries, 1312 yards, 4.4 per carry, and 10 rushing TDs.
57 receptions, 338 yards, 5.9 per reception.

1 fumble, 0 lost fumbles.

Barkley carried the offense.  Without Barkley the offense, and team would not have made
the playoffs.  That's safe to say.  Even that 2 pt. conversion to win over the Titans was 99% Barkley.

Yes, he has suffered injuries in the past, but that is the only legitimate knock on the guy.
He's a team player, great attitude, hard worker, and best player on the field when healthy.