News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Choose one player to have an injury-free career

Started by PSUBeirut, May 16, 2023, 12:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSUBeirut

Saw this question on Twitter and found the responses to be really interesting to look through.  So, let's do it two ways:

1)  Which NFL player from any team would you choose to have an injury-free career, to see what could have been?
2)  Which Giant would you choose to have an injury-free career?

My answers:
1)  Gotta go with Bo Jackson.  Would love to see what he could have done.  My honorable mention goes to Lavar Arrington.  Outside of LT, he was the most physically dominant LB I've ever seen- I think he could have been a wrecking ball for many years to come if he had avoided injury.
2)  Odell Beckham Jr.  Although I'm not sure his personality would have helped keep him in NY or not- I do really wonder what this guy could have done if he had stayed in NY and stayed healthy for an entire career.  Just an undeniable talent.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I think Bo Jackson is far and away the best possible answer to part one. No arguments on that. In the interest of coming up with something different, I'd probably go with Sterling Sharpe. I know he got plenty of seasons in, but he had to stop earlier than he would have, and he was showing no signs of slowing down (career high in TD catches). When people talk about the greatest receivers of all time or even the last few decades, he never gets mentioned, but he probably should. He was superb I thought.

In terms of Giant players, I might go with David Wilson. There is no way to know how good he would have been, if even at all, but he definitely showed some early flashes before the injuries (albeit a very small sample size). It was sad what happened to him. I'd probably pick him just because I'm curious as to what he might have become.

ozzie

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

ralphpal1

J seahorn

PSUBeirut

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 16, 2023, 01:06:05 PMI think Bo Jackson is far and away the best possible answer to part one. No arguments on that. In the interest of coming up with something different, I'd probably go with Sterling Sharpe. I know he got plenty of seasons in, but he had to stop earlier than he would have, and he was showing no signs of slowing down (career high in TD catches). When people talk about the greatest receivers of all time or even the last few decades, he never gets mentioned, but he probably should.

Good call on Sharpe.  Weird thing though- as I read your response another name popped in my head that makes a lot of sense, like Sharpe- Al Toon.  Had to retire due to concussions but he was a monster on the field, if I remember right.

FL GMAN

DaveBrown74

Quote from: PSUBeirut on May 16, 2023, 01:28:50 PMGood call on Sharpe.  Weird thing though- as I read your response another name popped in my head that makes a lot of sense, like Sharpe- Al Toon.  Had to retire due to concussions but he was a monster on the field, if I remember right.

Toon is a great call. Forgot about him. He was definitely a beast. He had concussion after concussion though and eventually had to stop. He probably wouldn't have played as long as he did in today's NFL. I feel like that guy had at least 10 diagnosed concussions. Scary to think what the real number probably was.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: FL GMAN on May 16, 2023, 01:43:42 PMAndrew luck

Not sure how I forgot about Luck, but that's clearly also a very good call.

Painter

Eli Manning if we talking of the past. If projecting a future, it most likely would be an OLineman but I have no interest in jinx labeling anyone no matter how resilient they may appear to be.

Cheers!

WheresDayne

QuoteK Hicks awesome WR who people forget how good he was

Do you mean Hakeem Nicks?

madbadger

1)Bo Jackson
2)Gayle Sayers
3)Terrell Davis

Painter

I assume there is a point to the question other than testing memory or illustrating the rarity of it. Still, I can't imagine Eli Manning not being among the first names mentioned as a leader in total durability/ availability/ reliability over the past two decades.

Cheers!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Painter on May 16, 2023, 01:50:53 PMEli Manning if we talking of the past. If projecting a future, it most likely would be an OLineman but I have no interest in jinx labeling anyone no matter how resilient they may appear to be.

Cheers!

Since Eli was an Iron Man who never missed a game because of physical injury, I surmise that you're referencing the 'injury' of playing for the post-2011 incompetent organization.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Painter on May 16, 2023, 03:29:26 PMI assume there is a point to the question other than testing memory or illustrating the rarity of it. Still, I can't imagine Eli Manning not being among the first names mentioned as a leader in total durability/ availability/ reliability over the past two decades.

Cheers!

It's more of a "what if" question- ie, which players could have been dominant or really incredible to watch if they had not been dealing with injuries big or small that halted their potential?  In other words- what player do you wish you could have seen reach their full potential but weren't able to because of injuries? 

I find it fun to think about.  Gale Sayers was another one someone above said that would have been great to see play out a full career.