News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFL passes new kickoff rule

Started by MightyGiants, May 23, 2023, 01:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MagicRat

Am I missing something here?
This is just kick offs?

So the only change is a fair catch goes to the 25 line?

How many fair catches do you seen on k/o?
Smell my cheese you mother!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MagicRat on May 23, 2023, 04:39:40 PMAm I missing something here?
This is just kick offs?

So the only change is a fair catch goes to the 25 line?

How many fair catches do you seen on k/o?

Maybe they think the frequency will increase with the rule change?  You wouldn't want to make a fair catch at the 5 if the ball gets spotted there.  But if it gets moved out to the 25 it becomes a more attractive proposition.

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MagicRat

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 23, 2023, 07:55:43 PMMaybe they think the frequency will increase with the rule change?  You wouldn't want to make a fair catch at the 5 if the ball gets spotted there.  But if it gets moved out to the 25 it becomes a more attractive proposition.

Yeah, that does make sense actually.
It'll take short kick offs (well, kick offs that "lob" short of the endzone) right out of the game.

You'll be talking touchback or squib on pretty much every k/o.
Smell my cheese you mother!

uconnjack8

One of the strategies teams have been using on kickoffs has been similar to punts.  Kick it high and try to land it inside the 10 yard line. 

On kickoffs, that pretty much guaranteed a return because the receiving team cannot just let it bounce and hope it goes into the endzone like punts. 

IMO it may be time to just end the kickoff.  If that's the top play for concussions and the league is going to continue to legislate to reduce returns, it doesnt make sense to keep it.

WheresDayne

QuoteOne of the strategies teams have been using on kickoffs has been similar to punts.  Kick it high and try to land it inside the 10 yard line.

This was always a good strategy, IMO.  Now this takes this out of the equation.  Kickers will either boom it into the endzone or squib it.  I don't like the idea.   :boooo:

MightyGiants

While I raked the owners over the coals with their self-serving flex Thursdays move, I have a hard time faulting the owners on this rule change.   Concussions (and the claims of permanent damage) are the biggest headwinds the NFL's future faces.   Kickoff, while fun plays and a great tradition to start off a game, are statistically high plays in terms of producing concussions.  The NFL is trying all it can to reduce concussions and the lasting impact of concussions while trying not to ruin what makes the sport so great.

Colleges already adopted this rule.  It would have been difficult for the owners at least not trying it.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

files58

What about strategizing for field position, and pinning your opponent? The rule should be modified if you fair catch inside the ten the ball gets moved to the ten, fair catch from the ten on out the ball is placed at the spot of the fair catch.

uconnjack8

Quote from: files58 on May 24, 2023, 11:48:10 AMWhat about strategizing for field position, and pinning your opponent? The rule should be modified if you fair catch inside the ten the ball gets moved to the ten, fair catch from the ten on out the ball is placed at the spot of the fair catch.

They will not change the rule to that because no one would fair catch at the 5 or 7 or 9. Everyone would attempt a return.  They are looking to lower the number of returns on kickoffs which is why I would just get rid of it at this point.

files58

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 24, 2023, 01:24:22 PMThey will not change the rule to that because no one would fair catch at the 5 or 7 or 9. Everyone would attempt a return.  They are looking to lower the number of returns on kickoffs which is why I would just get rid of it at this point.

The league one by one is removing all the nuances of the game all in the name of "player safety" when it's really only cya moves re:the concussion issue. When was the last time a rule was adopted in support of the defensive side off the ball? I'm really surprised from the time a touchback was brought to the 25 up till now that some coach hasn't found a kicker who can kick the ball a mile high deep but short of the goal line allowing for coverage to pin teams deep in their territory.

TONKA56

More rule changes. How very wonderful.