News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

10 Most Improved

Started by Painter, May 23, 2023, 04:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

I figure I'd better make a small effort to do better in Eds opinion before he reads my response to the other post. I really have no opinion as to where or why the Giants should be ranked in terms of "improvement"- 4th most in this guy imagination. Although there is mention of improved Defense it seems mostly to focus on a too fast to cover, "Track and Field" Passing Offense. No mention of Barkley although with an asumption, I would guess.

In any case, here's the list:

10. Cleveland Browns
Key veteran additions: WR Elijah Moore, DT Dalvin Tomlinson, DE Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, S Juan Thornhill

Key draft additions: WR Cedric Tillman, DT Siaki Ika, OT Dawand Jones

Analysis: The Browns made a handful of under-the-radar moves to address concerns on both sides of the trenches. Tomlinson and Ika will be tasked with improving Cleveland's run defense, while Jones will give the team flexibility as the swing tackle (with the possibility of pushing for a starting spot). Quarterback Deshaun Watson, who had six subpar performances during his first season in Cleveland, could establish a passing rhythm with the arrivals of Moore and Tillman. The Browns' additions didn't generate headlines, but they might make them playoffs contenders this season.

9. Miami Dolphins
Key veteran additions: WR Chosen Anderson, LB David Long Jr., CB Jalen Ramsey

Key draft additions: CB Cam Smith, RB Devon Achane

Analysis: With Ramsey as the centerpiece of the offseason, the Dolphins went from a wild-card team to a strong contender in a loaded AFC East. Long is an ideal playmaker for defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. Smith, a second-round pick, adds depth to a stacked secondary with Ramsey, Xavien Howard and Jevon Holland. If this secondary excels, it might be enough for the Dolphins to win their conference, which features a gantlet of star quarterbacks. Achane, a third-round pick, will give Miami's impressive offense another speedy playmaker—he ran a blazing 4.32 seconds during the 40-yard dash at the combine.

8. Chicago Bears
Key veteran additions: RB D'Onta Foreman, WR DJ Moore, TE Robert Tonyan, OG Nate Davis, ILB T.J. Edwards, ILB Tremaine Edmunds

Key draft additions: OT Darnell Wright, DT Gervon Dexter Sr., CB Tyrique Stevenson, DT Zacch Pickens

Analysis: The Bears' lengthy list of offseason additions will likely lift them from the bottom of the NFL power rankings to a promising team during Year 2 of GM Ryan Poles's rebuild project in Chicago. Quarterback Justin Fields will get a fighting chance to prove he's the real deal with Moore (a legitimate No. 1 wideout), Davis (a 6'3", 316-pound interior lineman), and Wright (the team's first-round selection who plays with an edge on the field). Bears coach Matt Eberflus and his defense will also get a chance to compete with free-agency headliners Edmunds and Edwards.

7. Atlanta Falcons
Key veteran additions: WR Mack Hollins, TE Jonnu Smith, DE Calais Campbell, DT David Onyemata, LB Kaden Elliss, OLB Bud Dupree, S Jessie Bates III, CB Jeff Okudah

Key draft additions: RB Bijan Robinson, OG Matthew Bergeron

Analysis: The Falcons had a well-executed offseason plan, improving the defense first through free agency before giving the offense a splash with the first-round selection of Robinson, a versatile weapon who has received comparisons to Saquon Barkley. After generating only 21 total sacks last season, the Falcons bolstered the defensive front with Campbell, Onyemata, Elliss and Dupree. Atlanta also provided help for cornerback A.J. Terrell with the additions of Bates and Okudah. The Falcons will be fun offensively and pesky defensively, but that might not be enough to compete for a postseason appearance if second-year quarterback Desmond Ridder doesn't deliver.

6. Carolina Panthers
Key veteran additions: RB Miles Sanders, WR Adam Thielen, WR DJ Chark, TE Hayden Hurst, DT Shy Tuttle, S Vonn Bell

Key draft additions: QB Bryce Young, WR Jonathan Mingo, DE DJ Johnson

Analysis: The Panthers got the nod over the Falcons because they upgraded at quarterback with Young, who rose to be the No. 1 pick in the draft thanks to his ability to be a quick processor and dynamic playmaker away from the pocket. The offseason additions lacked star power outside of Young, but the Panthers added a handful of quality starters across the roster. Sanders might not be a top-five running back and Thielen might be a step slower, but they'll still make life easier for Young. Taking a glance at Carolina's starting depth chart, it might be the best team in the NFC South.

5. Houston Texans
Key veteran additions: RB Devin Singletary, WR Robert Woods, WR Noah Brown, TE Dalton Schultz, DT Sheldon Rankins, S Jimmie Ward

Key draft additions: QB C.J. Stroud, DE Will Anderson Jr., C Juice Scruggs, WR Tank Dell

The Texans came up from the No. 12 pick to select Anderson at No. 3. Thomas Shea/USA TODAY Sports
The Texans came up from the No. 12 pick to select Anderson at No. 3. Thomas Shea/USA TODAY Sports
© Provided by Sports Illustrated
Analysis: After three consecutive seasons of four wins or fewer, the Texans had the most room for improvement this year. They finally took steps forward in their rebuilding process, securing two of the top three draft picks to select Stroud and Anderson. Many have knocked the Texans for relinquishing a 2024 first-round pick to the Cardinals to select Anderson—but the second Houston drafted Stroud, it needed to go all in on helping the rookie QB succeed and not worry about future draft picks. If Anderson produces at a high level, that means the Texans' defense will have improved, which will also benefit Stroud with complementary football. Without having to worry about potentially losing his job to Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, Stroud could have a memorable rookie season with a pass-catching crew of Schultz, Woods, Brown and Dell (a third-round pick).

4. New York Giants
Key veteran additions: WR Parris Campbell, TE Darren Waller, DL A'Shawn Robinson, ILB Bobby Okereke

Key draft additions: CB Deonte Banks, C John Michael Schmitz, WR Jalin Hyatt

Analysis: New York rewarded quarterback Daniel Jones with a massive contract extension followed by much-needed upgrades at the skill positions. The Giants can now deploy a competitive track and field relay team, with new downfield threats Campbell and Hyatt to go with Darius Slayton, Sterling Shepard and Wan'Dale Robinson. But Jones will benefit the most with Waller as his new starting tight end. The defense will also be better with the addition of Okereke, a savvy playmaker, and Banks, the promising first-round pick who might develop into a standout No. 1 outside cornerback.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers
Key veteran additions: WR Allen Robinson, OG Isaac Seumalo, CB Patrick Peterson

Key draft additions: OT Broderick Jones, CB Joey Porter Jr., DT Keeanu Benton, TE Darnell Washington

Analysis: It won't be a surprise if the Steelers post double-digit wins in 2023, judging from their offseason moves—and because Mike Tomlin has never had a losing record in 15 seasons as coach. The Steelers improved Kenny Pickett's offensive line with Seumalo and first-round pick Jones. And perhaps Robinson will have a bounce-back season playing alongside Diontae Johnson and George Pickens. Washington could be a steal for the Steelers as a third-round pick, and even if he doesn't reach his upside, he'll probably have a safe floor as a 6'7" red zone target and stout blocker. Peterson and Porter Jr., on the other hand, will fill needs in the secondary to give a stacked defense more playmakers.

2. New York Jets
Key veteran additions: QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Allen Lazard, WR Mecole Hardman, WR Randall Cobb, DT Quinton Jefferson, S Chuck Clark

Key draft additions: DE Will McDonald IV, C Joe Tippmann, OT Carter Warren

Analysis: Rodgers's arrival turned the Jets into Super Bowl contenders, but the team probably could have done more to help their middle-aged quarterback. They waited until the fourth round to address their tackle concerns, eventually selecting Warren. And the new group of receivers (Lazard, Hardman and Cobb) appears underwhelming. McDonald might have been a reach as the No. 15 pick, but coach Robert Saleh needed another pass rusher. Rodgers and a talented 2022 draft class might make the Jets AFC East champions, but they can go only so far in the postseason if the offensive line struggles.

1. Seattle Seahawks
Key veteran additions: C Evan Brown, DL Dre'Mont Jones, IDL Jarran Reed, ILB Bobby Wagner

Compare Savings Rates Online - Top 10 Savings Account Rates
Compare Savings Rates Online - Top 10 Savings Account Rates
Ad
banktruth.org/Savings
Key draft additions: CB Devon Witherspoon, WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, DE Derick Hall, RB Zach Charbonnet, OG Anthony Bradford

Analysis: After a terrific offseason, the Seahawks have closed the gap on the 49ers in the NFC West; they might be the third best team in the conference, at least on paper. Seattle's two first-round picks, Smith-Njigba and Witherspoon, will give Geno Smith a third quality target alongside DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett, and form a standout cornerback duo with Tariq Woolen, respectively. Also, the arrival of Jones and the return of Wagner and Reed fill holes on the defensive side. It's time to take the Seahawks seriously in the NFC, especially as the Lions' offseason hype train is taking a hit, thanks to Jameson Williams's suspension for violating the NFL's gambling policy and some head-scratching first-round picks. The Cowboys have a case to be considered at the top of the conference behind the Eagles and 49ers, but they might not be that much better with veteran additions Brandin Cooks and Stephon Gilmore.

Cheers!

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

Why do you think I made it all up, or are you making a study of pedigree? But if it is so important to know, it is the output of an unnaned Sports Illustrator.

DaveBrown74

FWIW the Browns are my pick for most improved team in 2023.

Granted, as their o/u is 9.5 and they only won 7 last year, I realize it may not seem like that bold of a call, but I could easily see them winning something like 11 or possibly even more than that.

(1) We can hate DeShaun Watson all we want, and I am right there with you as there is more than ample reason to, but he is unquestionably very talented, and he has been a winner in the past. I think people may have forgotten just how good he was in Houston and have all of the sexual assault stuff on their minds (which is understandable). In the three full years of him being the starter in Houston, the lowly Texans made the playoffs twice, and he posted a regular season winning record there. This is noteworthy because the Texans were horrific before he got there, and horrific after he stopped playing for them. With a full offseason to focus on football, I expect him to have a bounce-back season, and possibly in a very big way.

(2) The Browns have a very good O line. One of the better ones. I think this is very important. It's one of the main reasons I loved the Lions last year.

(3) The Browns have playmakers on D. Their pass rush, despite already having arguably the best pass rusher in the game, needed some help and they got it in a big way in Zadarius Smith. They have some good D-backs too. And I think bringing in Jim Schwartz to be the DC is a very big deal.

(4) On offense, Elijah Moore was a big add. He is loaded with talent and should have a breakout season.

(5) We know they have a top flight running back in Nick Chubb, who is still playing great.

(6) They have a pretty easy schedule all things considered.

Lots to like about the Browns this year. If we do the pool on this board again (I'm in another pool with friends in any case), I plan on picking them early and often.

Jclayton92

Wondering how the steelers made the list. I assumed they were In full rebuild despite Tomlin never having a losing record.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 23, 2023, 05:45:42 PMWondering how the steelers made the list. I assumed they were In full rebuild despite Tomlin never having a losing record.

I guess because the view is they had a really good draft and perhaps that their QB has a chance to have a year two breakout.

I don't personally share the view that they'll be much better this year -- in fact I have them finishing last in the AFC North -- but perhaps the above is part of the rationale?

nb587

Maybe Kenny Pickett is a better QB than many think.  The Steelers have had mediocre to average QB performance for a few years and still were decent

True Blue

I would put the Dolphins a bit higher, the addition of Ramsey alone is big.

I'd also put us right above the steelers

Bob In PA

I like your list, Larry.

That is not because it's very close to mine, but because I appreciate the amount of work that went into it.

I'd switch the Steelers and Jets, mostly because the Steelers had more room for improvement.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Painter

As you know, Bob, I am not into preseason rankings whether its PFFs recent ranking of the Giants Roster in the bottom 3rd of the League, or this SI guy declaring it to be the 4th most improved. That leaves us to wonder how bad PFF would have seen it otherwise. Just kidding!

I appreciate that there are many assumptions and assertions in those lists which we may feel compelled to argue for or against. For me, it amounts to a so what? I have no problem with someone's opinion, biased and agenda-driven as it may be, as long as we don't lose sight of the lack of accountability involved and I dare say memory as what is asserted will be forgotten within weeks if not days and long before anything is proven, one way or another.

Nevertheless, there is no reason for anyone else to not enjoy or even gain something from such lists as long as they keep the foregoing in mind, and don't get their knickers in a twist.

Cheers!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Painter on May 23, 2023, 05:16:46 PMWhy do you think I made it all up, or are you making a study of pedigree? But if it is so important to know, it is the output of an unnaned Sports Illustrator.

But he has a name, Gilbert Manzano.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/23/10-teams-improved-most-offseason#gid=ci02bfe55d300024be&pid=9-miami-dolphins
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Stringer Bell

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 23, 2023, 05:27:06 PMFWIW the Browns are my pick for most improved team in 2023.

Granted, as their o/u is 9.5 and they only won 7 last year, I realize it may not seem like that bold of a call, but I could easily see them winning something like 11 or possibly even more than that.

(1) We can hate DeShaun Watson all we want, and I am right there with you as there is more than ample reason to, but he is unquestionably very talented, and he has been a winner in the past. I think people may have forgotten just how good he was in Houston and have all of the sexual assault stuff on their minds (which is understandable). In the three full years of him being the starter in Houston, the lowly Texans made the playoffs twice, and he posted a regular season winning record there. This is noteworthy because the Texans were horrific before he got there, and horrific after he stopped playing for them. With a full offseason to focus on football, I expect him to have a bounce-back season, and possibly in a very big way.

(2) The Browns have a very good O line. One of the better ones. I think this is very important. It's one of the main reasons I loved the Lions last year.

(3) The Browns have playmakers on D. Their pass rush, despite already having arguably the best pass rusher in the game, needed some help and they got it in a big way in Zadarius Smith. They have some good D-backs too. And I think bringing in Jim Schwartz to be the DC is a very big deal.

(4) On offense, Elijah Moore was a big add. He is loaded with talent and should have a breakout season.

(5) We know they have a top flight running back in Nick Chubb, who is still playing great.

(6) They have a pretty easy schedule all things considered.

Lots to like about the Browns this year. If we do the pool on this board again (I'm in another pool with friends in any case), I plan on picking them early and often.

I think the Browns are bad and will continue to be and. I'd be willing to make any bet on their win total under.

Watson hasn't made a meaningful and sustained contribution on a football field in 3 years. They have a WR corps severely lacking in talent. And they've lost one of their most important offensive pieces in Kareem Hunt, and so now all their hope rests with an aging RB who has averaged 260+ touches the last 4 seasons.

Add to that a defense with more scrubs than stars, and you're looking at a 7-win team. Looking at their schedule, I only see 4 games as "easy" wins for them.

True Blue

Quote from: Stringer Bell on May 24, 2023, 01:26:03 PMI think the Browns are bad and will continue to be and. I'd be willing to make any bet on their win total under.

Watson hasn't made a meaningful and sustained contribution on a football field in 3 years. They have a WR corps severely lacking in talent. And they've lost one of their most important offensive pieces in Kareem Hunt, and so now all their hope rests with an aging RB who has averaged 260+ touches the last 4 seasons.

Add to that a defense with more scrubs than stars, and you're looking at a 7-win team. Looking at their schedule, I only see 4 games as "easy" wins for them.

How is a WR corp of Amari Cooper, Elijah Moore, DPJ, and Cedric Tillman lacking?

Why is Kareem Hunt an important piece, but Chubb, who is a better back, getting hate for "aging" when they are both 27 years old?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: True Blue on May 24, 2023, 01:37:26 PMHow is a WR corp of Amari Cooper, Elijah Moore, DPJ, and Cedric Tillman lacking?

Why is Kareem Hunt an important piece, but Chubb, who is a better back, getting hate for "aging" when they are both 27 years old?

I'm high on Moore's talent personally. I know it didn't work out on the Jets but I'm still a believer. Zach Wilson was an abomination last year, so that's not really a fair read on Moore. I don't think this is an exceptional receiver corps by any means but I think it's respectable enough.

Yes re the RBs. Hunt is in fact slightly older than Chubb, and of the two of them Hunt is the one who showed signs of slowing down last year, with just 3.8 YPC and a noticeable dip in Y/R. Chubb on the other hand was a monster as usual and showed no signs of slowing down. In fact, last season was pretty much his best yet.

We will see on Watson, and I admit there is a wide range of possibilities there. What I am trying to do is not conflate my own personal dislike of him with objective analysis and projection. I think the guy was unquestionably excellent in Houston at a very young age, and he is still young by QB standards (27). I think to judge him based on his 6 games last year (in which the Browns went 3-3 btw) is not really a good read. With a full offseason and the legal stuff pretty much behind him, I think he will be closer to the old Watson than what we saw in the 6 games last year, personally. I don't think his recent absence means he will permanently forget how to play QB at a high level at this young an age.

As to the schedule, no doubt their own division is tough, but the AFC South is pretty poor, and the NFC West really isn't that tough other than the 9ers. I think at worst it's a middle of the road schedule from a difficulty perspective.

The view really comes down to whether you think Watson is going to bounce back and be something resembling the Houston days or whether you think what we saw from him in the 6 games last year is now the way forward. Everything else is basically noise in comparison.

Painter

So are satisfied to see the Giants ranked as 4th most improved by someone reprenting SI whose name is of no real consequence, or are we more interested in the merits of where he has ranked some other team?

Cheers!