News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can the Giants ever win a SB with Barkley taking 90% of the snaps

Started by BluesCruz, May 25, 2023, 08:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Barkley was PFF's top graded pass blocking RB last season

1. SAQUON BARKLEY, NEW YORK GIANTS
PFF pass-blocking grade: 75.5
Pass-blocking snaps: 83
Pressures allowed: 6

2. TONY POLLARD, DALLAS COWBOYS
PFF pass-blocking grade: 75.3
Pass-blocking snaps: 56
Pressures allowed: 5

3. JAMES CONNER, ARIZONA CARDINALS
PFF pass-blocking grade: 73.8
Pass-blocking snaps: 84
Pressures allowed: 4

4. SAMAJE PERINE, CINCINNATI BENGALS
PFF pass-blocking grade: 72.7
Pass-blocking snaps: 52
Pressures allowed: 2

5. JAMAAL WILLIAMS, DETROIT LIONS
PFF pass-blocking grade: 72.3
Pass-blocking snaps: 58
Pressures allowed: 2

MORE

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-season-best-pass-blocking-running-backs-saquon-barkley-tony-pollard

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Nice,  I never thought of Barkley as a particularly good blocker but this seems to prove he has patched that
part of his game pretty well
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

babywhales

Henry and McCaffery are on a level above Barkley in terms of versatility, reliability and production. It is not to say Barkley can not get there as he certainly rebounded last year building off his rookie campaign.

Henry will be 30 next year and a FA.  

Various time frames are hurting Barkley:
1- Barkley took massive loses on his Nike and Pepsi endorsement dollars he negotiated as Bitcoin payment
2- RB market is horrible for those looking to get paid
3- Barkley's was tagged putting off his multi year pay day until after 2023
4- Henry restructured, voiding his final two years; as a result, Henry and Barkley will enter the same RB market together

None of this has lined up for the big pay day Barkley was clearly hoping for. 

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Ed Vette

Quote from: babywhales on May 31, 2023, 08:36:49 AMHenry and McCaffery are on a level above Barkley in terms of versatility, reliability and production. It is not to say Barkley can not get there as he certainly rebounded last year building off his rookie campaign.

1- Barkley took massive loses on his Nike and Pepsi endorsement dollars he negotiated as Bitcoin payment
4- Henry restructured, voiding his final two years; as a result, Henry and Barkley will enter the same RB market together

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: babywhales on May 31, 2023, 08:36:49 AMHenry and McCaffery are on a level above Barkley in terms of versatility, reliability and production. It is not to say Barkley can not get there as he certainly rebounded last year building off his rookie campaign.

Why do you see Henry as more versatile than Barkley? 

I would say Barkley has a similar versatility to McCaffrey and both have more versatility than Henry.

Ed Vette

The first two years of Barkley's career he ran off LT, LE, RT and RE 49% of his snaps. He most recent healthy years he's run them just 43% as @MightyGiants pointed out. Derrick Henry in 2022 ran outside 49%. Also his long runs in each direction was 18% of his total and Henry was 19%.

As a team less the QB runs in 2022, the Giants RB's ran 49% outside. Barkley handled much more of the tough runs and early on his second effort was apparent in moving the chains.

Just the facts Jack. Of course opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one. Some are innies and some are outies. And some do their homework before making baseless statements.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

babywhales

UConn
When I initially wrote my comment RE: Henry, I was referring to high carry/game, his ability run inside and out through all 4 quarters and produce on all 3 downs, pass blocking and receiving.

After Ed's post, I double checked some things over lunch. 

Henry is certainly not producing in the receiving game like Barkley overall, what is less clear is that a OC thing or a Henry thing. He produces more per catch but is targeted much less.

Barkley's pass blocking certainly improved in 2022 but overall has been lacking.

So I will concede the versatility in the sense of receiving and pass blocking may be a wash but Henry is above Barkley in production and reliability (not just to be on the field but to produce once on it against all fronts).

Henry faces 8+ loaded boxes 38.% of the time and still produce, while Barkley only faces 8+ in the box 18.9%.

Henry breaks tackles much better, averages a higher yards after contact all while seeing contact sooner and is light years better on 3rd down. Henry is a work horse who produces despite teams stacking the box.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

BluesCruz

Quote from: babywhales on May 31, 2023, 02:39:37 PMUConn
When I initially wrote my comment RE: Henry, I was referring to high carry/game, his ability run inside and out through all 4 quarters and produce on all 3 downs, pass blocking and receiving.

After Ed's post, I double checked some things over lunch. 

Henry is certainly not producing in the receiving game like Barkley overall, what is less clear is that a OC thing or a Henry thing. He produces more per catch but is targeted much less.

Barkley's pass blocking certainly improved in 2022 but overall has been lacking.

So I will concede the versatility in the sense of receiving and pass blocking may be a wash but Henry is above Barkley in production and reliability (not just to be on the field but to produce once on it against all fronts).

Henry faces 8+ loaded boxes 38.% of the time and still produce, while Barkley only faces 8+ in the box 18.9%.

Henry breaks tackles much better, averages a higher yards after contact all while seeing contact sooner and is light years better on 3rd down. Henry is a work horse who produces despite teams stacking the box.

I can remember Jim Brown telling his coach not to use him as a blocker.  He didnt enjoy it at all and considered it a waste of his abilities.  He could block just wasnt in to it..

Best RB blocker I ever saw was Clinton Portis
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"