News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- could the Raiders be tanking for a top QB?

Started by MightyGiants, May 28, 2023, 09:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

They signed an injured QB who may never play for them, and they don't have a quality alternative.  It's like they are tanking for a top QB in next year's draft.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1662806175262359553
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

It does look that way. Nobody else on the roster is a remotely viable option. Brian Hoyer is not even an average backup QB at this point. Guys like Carson Went and Teddy Bridgewater (both available) are better options and won't cost anything at this point.

Ed Vette

Maybe there's more to the Waller situation than an aging Cap Hit.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

andrew_nyGiants

I've known (followed) McDaniel since his days at Canton McKinley High School.

He was a great HS football coach. However at every level beyond HS he's a career Assistant coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on May 29, 2023, 10:51:04 AMI've known (followed) McDaniel since his days at Canton McKinley High School.

He was a great HS football coach. However at every level beyond HS he's a career Assistant coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andrew,

What is your character assessment of him?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

MightyGiants

For what it's worth, I listened to Lombardi on his latest podcast.  He is claiming this is all a big, nothing burger.  The claims the clause is just an insurance policy for the team if things unexpectedly go south.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Hadron

I think the "tank" talks are a bit premature. Jimmy G and Josh McDaniel have a history together in NE which could translate into success should he be healthy at the start of the season.

Of course, with the JImmy G's injury history, having a quality backup should be something they invest in yet the Raiders are not known for doing intelligent things.

BluesCruz

The fact Tom Brady is talking about coming back one more time to QB the Raiders would seem to contradict any tanking talk
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 31, 2023, 07:08:53 AMThe fact Tom Brady is talking about coming back one more time to QB the Raiders would seem to contradict any tanking talk

I have seen speculation of Brady playing for the Raiders, but has he actually said anything about being interested himself? Because his most recent retirement decision (the one he did on twitter on the beach) seemed pretty resolute to me.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 31, 2023, 09:15:42 AMI have seen speculation of Brady playing for the Raiders, but has he actually said anything about being interested himself? Because his most recent retirement decision (the one he did on twitter on the beach) seemed pretty resolute to me.

As far as I've been able to tell it was Troy Aikman who first floated this notion.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll