News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

According to PFF the Giants don't have a top 10 TE

Started by MightyGiants, May 29, 2023, 07:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

11. DARREN WALLER, NEW YORK GIANTS
A year ago, Waller ranked third on this list, but injuries continue to limit his ability to stay on the field and thus, his effectiveness on the field. After two seasons of 86.8-plus grades, Waller hasn't landed above 74.5 as a receiver. If Waller can stay healthy, he's one of the best tight ends in the NFL.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-tight-end-rankings-top-15-ahead-of-the-2023-nfl-season
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Waller hasn't had a top 10 TE season since 2020, so this does not come as a big surprise to me.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 29, 2023, 07:49:56 AMWaller hasn't had a top 10 TE season since 2020, so this does not come as a big surprise to me.

Jeff, you raise a very valid and fair point. 

From the other side, neither McDaniels nor Gruden are player-friendly coaches.  My hope is that Waller thrives in this system whereas Waller excitedly declared, "They value our input."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Adam Schein of the NFL network sees things differently

QuoteI think this is going to be another great "change of scenery" story. Waller fits perfectly into Brian Daboll's offense. It's a godsend for Daniel Jones, who'll have heightened expectations as a freshly minted $40 million quarterback. This is exactly what Mr. Dimes needed: a true pass-catching weapon at tight end.

Now, Waller needs to avoid injury in New York, as health issues cost him 14 games over the past two seasons in Las Vegas. But Daboll and the Giants are cognizant of this, of course, and I trust them to come up with a good plan of attack to keep their new weapon in tip-top shape. I believe Waller, who turns 31 in September, still has a ton of gas left in the tank.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-bandwagons-to-hop-on-in-2023-atlanta-falcons-garrett-wilson-demeco-ryans-amo

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-bandwagons-to-hop-on-in-2023-atlanta-falcons-garrett-wilson-demeco-ryans-amo
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

PFF is a joke, Waller isn't top 10, but Michael Thomas is in a top 9 WR duo?

Thomas has been more injured and on the field less to produce over a similar or linger timeframe.

If MT is in a top 9 duo Waller should be too 5 or 6 easy.

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on May 29, 2023, 08:52:56 AMPFF is a joke, Waller isn't top 10, but Michael Thomas is in a top 9 WR duo?

Thomas has been more injured and on the field less to produce over a similar or linger timeframe.

If MT is in a top 9 duo Waller should be too 5 or 6 easy.

In fairness to PFF, Waller's last two season grades were 69.7 and 72.3

While here is Thomas

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 29, 2023, 09:15:00 AMIn fairness to PFF, Waller's last two season grades were 69.7 and 72.3

While here is Thomas

Respectfully, I'm not buying it. Those two "seasons" totalled 10 games with 8 starts, and missing the entire 2021 season inbetween

I can't in good conscience place him in any top 10 list until he plays for a majority of a season again, if he ever does. Availability is the best ability if you aren't there you aren't producing

Trench

Click bait
Ask yourself how many of those TE would you trade Bellinger for?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on May 29, 2023, 09:35:42 AMClick bait
Ask yourself how many of those TE would you trade Bellinger for?

I would be happy to trade even up

1. TRAVIS KELCE, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
2. MARK ANDREWS, BALTIMORE RAVENS
3. GEORGE KITTLE, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
4. DALLAS GOEDERT, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

guys I wouldn't object to a trade (for various reasons)

5. T.J. HOCKENSON, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
6. PAT FREIERMUTH, PITTSBURGH STEELERS
7. KYLE PITTS, ATLANTA FALCONS

Guys I probably wouldn't trade for

8. DALTON SCHULTZ, HOUSTON TEXANS
9. TAYSOM HILL, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
10. DAVID NJOKU, CLEVELAND BROWNS
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Good list. I'm not 100% sure I would trade even up for Hockenson as I feel Bellinger may be him in a year or two

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 29, 2023, 09:15:00 AMIn fairness to PFF, Waller's last two season grades were 69.7 and 72.3

While here is Thomas

What does it profit you if your guy puts up a 90 pff score but only plays a third or an eighth of the games?  Maybe PFF should come up with a 'normalized' score that reflects availability.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 29, 2023, 02:35:59 PMWhat does it profit you if your guy puts up a 90 pff score but only plays a third or an eighth of the games?  Maybe PFF should come up with a 'normalized' score that reflects availability.

I like that idea.    :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Don't care what he's ranked. If he can add 600 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns it's a big win for this offense.

kingm56

Quote from: madbadger on May 29, 2023, 03:58:58 PMDon't care what he's ranked. If he can add 600 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns it's a big win for this offense.

I think those numbers are reasonable, Mad; I don't believe he's going to return to his 2020 form at 31 years old, and coming off multiple injuries.  I'm hoping for a combined 1.1K yards, 7 TDs from our TE cadre. 

Painter

Ranking ahead of actual performance is what PFF so often does as apparently, it's part of its agenda. Is it fair in Waller's case? Do we really know? If we somehow feel sure, then we start rationalizing which is very much what PFF does all the time.

Cheers!