News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Which NFL team do you feel is being overhyped? ... being slept on?

Started by MightyGiants, June 02, 2023, 10:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Which NFL team do you think is being over-hyped?

Which NFL team do you feel people are underestimating?

bonus points for explaining why you think that way
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Fletch

NY Jets . Aaron Rodgers is old. Although I expect him/them to look respectable . I'll reserve judgement till they prove they can be real contenders or maybe beat the patriots for once in like 10 years ....

MightyGiants

Quote from: Fletch on June 02, 2023, 10:24:46 AMNY Jets . Aaron Rodgers is old. Although I expect him/them to look respectable . I'll reserve judgement till they prove they can be real contenders or maybe beat the patriots for once in like 10 years ....

I don't think the Pats are the team to beat in the AFC East.  I think that honor will be decided between the Dolphins and the Bills.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

bamagiantfan

Dallas is overhyped every year. I don't see how they are a top 10 team as many project pre-season again this year.

New Orleans added the pieces they needed and suddenly the task of trying to win the division over Carolina, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay seems doesn't seem as daunting as it has in recent years.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Jclayton92

Atlanta has an offense now so they'll be fun but I think it's the lions and Seahawks in our conference. They only got better this offseason.

spiderblue43

The Jets are not going to the Super Bowl..their fans and media will have a schism, so all the noise in the offseaon..much like Dallas...will go for naught.

DaveBrown74

Underhyped: Browns

I don't know if in 2023 he'll return to quite what he was before the scandal, but I think Watson will be dramatically better than what we saw in his 6 games last year (in which the Browns went 3-3). Browns have a very good O line, an elite RB, sufficiently good receiving talent, and a number of high caliber playmakers on D. I also think bringing Jim Schwartz in as DC with all the talent they have will be impactful. I think they'll be a playoff team this year, possibly wining as many as 11 games or so.

Overhyped: Dolphins

I know he did well statistically last year but I'm not a big Tua guy, nor do I trust his health. He probably should be retired by now, and it's only a matter of time before he gets hurt again (as his been the case his whole pro and college career). Obviously Miami has elite weaponry, but the AFC is brutally tough, and I just think you have other teams like Jacksonville, Cleveland, Chargers etc who are on the rise, and it will be tough for Miami to get in the postseason again, or even be above .500.

Jclayton92

I think you guys may be underestimating the Jets, their D alone almost dragged Zach Wilson and a community College QB to the playoffs. Add in a competent QB, and they already have great skill players... they'll make the playoffs at minimum and then it's just a spin of the wheel.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 02, 2023, 04:25:22 PMI think you guys may be underestimating the Jets, their D alone almost dragged Zach Wilson and a community College QB to the playoffs. Add in a competent QB, and they already have great skill players... they'll make the playoffs at minimum and then it's just a spin of the wheel.

I agree with you but I wouldn't say they're "underhyped" myself. From where I am sitting at least, there is an absolute ton of hype surrounding this Jets team.

kingm56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 02, 2023, 04:25:22 PMI think you guys may be underestimating the Jets, their D alone almost dragged Zach Wilson and a community College QB to the playoffs. Add in a competent QB, and they already have great skill players... they'll make the playoffs at minimum and then it's just a spin of the wheel.

Jess,

Vegas currently has the Jets as the #7 team to win the SB.  When I think about hyped, I tend to view it in terms of their chances to win a SB.  The current top 10 teams are:

KC
Phili
Buff
SF
CINCI
Dal
Jets
Balt
Det
Mia

I don't believe Det, Bal or Mia have much of a chance to win a SB; so, I'll say they're over-hyped, especially Balt  at #8. In terms of sleepers, I believe LAC have a better chance to win a SB than the three teams I highlighted. 

Painter

As long as the Giants are't to be found in either category- and indeed they are not- it is of no interest to me except to say that I don't really disagree with any of the views expressed above.

Cheers!

ralphpal1

I am not sure they are underhype but if Calvin ridley comes back I think the Jagsc are the best team in the afc  if not the league  this is on paper of course
Mahomes is a cheat button  so even if the jags might be a better team can they beat the chiefs and I think they can
They have an amazing QB
They have 3 very good WRs
A good TE
A very good running back
They came back from down 24 points in the playoffs
You know how much that boosts a team for the next year
And remember
They have the only coach to win with the eagles ( sorry Andy Reid)
He is one of the few coaches in the nfl that won a superbowl as a coach.
This team reminds you of that eagle team but with a better QB

Jclayton92

@DaveBrown74 and @kingm56 I agree with you both, I've seen it in a few threads were people thought the Jets were going to be bad and Rodgers too. I was just saying at minimum they won't be bad, not with that D.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 02, 2023, 05:24:22 PM@DaveBrown74 and @kingm56 I agree with you both, I've seen it in a few threads were people thought the Jets were going to be bad and Rodgers too. I was just saying at minimum they won't be bad, not with that D.

Oh I definitely agree - anyone who thinks they're bad is underselling them in my opinion. Even if Rodgers is just "ok", that's a massive bump from what they had last year at QB, plus don't forget a lot of their team was hurt last year. The line was playing without its two best players all year basically.

Also Wilson was incredibly bad last year. I watch a lot of Jets games. The guy was awful. If they replaced him with someone even like Wentz or Mayfield, they would have been a lot better. To bring in a Rodgers, even if he's a cut or two below the MVP caliber level he put up in 2020 and 2021, is a huge deal for this team.