News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants the 9th most profitable team in the world

Started by MightyGiants, June 04, 2023, 10:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Interesting how high the Texans are.

Commanders surprise me a little bit too.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 04, 2023, 10:27:26 AMInteresting how high the Texans are.

Commanders surprise me a little bit too.

I was puzzled by the Texans as well (although less puzzled over the Commanders who are a big market team).  I did some research and this Reddit post was the best I could come up with

QuoteI'm gonna make some assumptions but here goes.

It makes more sense if you think about it like this. This is the most popular team in the 4th largest city in the US. The other three cities all have two baseball teams, 2 have two football & two basketball teams, and all of them have hockey teams.

Our local and regional ad dollars are pretty concentrated.

The other end, the Texans have one of the first modern style stadiums, entirely funded by the county, that has only had relatively mild renovations. Many stadiums after us are at least partially funded by the Teams.

In short, the Texans have a very large piece of the pie chart and low operating costs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Texans/comments/13yp6k4/cbs_sports_texans_are_6th_most_profitable_sports/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 04, 2023, 10:37:28 AMI was puzzled by the Texans as well (although less puzzled over the Commanders who are a big market team).  I did some research and this Reddit post was the best I could come up with

https://www.reddit.com/r/Texans/comments/13yp6k4/cbs_sports_texans_are_6th_most_profitable_sports/

Very interesting. I would not have known any of that before just reading it.

I wonder if similar is true with the Jags, because they're another team I would not have expected to see on this list.

A an NFT observation, I was also surprised to not see the Yankees on this list. I guess no baseball team is, but they're a truly massive global brand. I have seen Yankees caps on people all over Europe and Asia in my travels over the past decade or so. You'd think that would have meaningful translations to the bottom line.

I guess at the end of the day this list was always going to be dominated by the NFL (which is easily the most popular sport in this country), NBA (which is very popular in this country and has global appeal too), and soccer (which obviously has massive global appeal despite not being top of mind for the American sports fan).

katkavage

Knicks are in the top ten purely on their real estate value. MSG Manhattan property is worth billions.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on June 04, 2023, 11:57:31 AMKnicks are in the top ten purely on their real estate value. MSG Manhattan property is worth billions.

This isn't specifically about what the team is worth though. It's about annual profitability on a three year look-back.