News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Let’s talk 2023 fantasy football

Started by Philosophers, July 14, 2023, 01:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

After being a playoff team in (4 teams) in my 12 team league last year, I have had a frustrating year in fantasy. 80-90% my own fault. I have had a couple of unlucky things too, but it's largely on me.

Bad picks:

Christian Watson: Didn't play the first 4-5 weeks (I had no idea he was injured on draft day), struggled for weeks after coming back, was solid for a couple weeks, and is now out again. Just a train wreck of a pick on my part. He is a guy I picked up off waivers in 2022 after someone got frustrated and cut him, and he crushed it for me late last year. I felt confident he was going to have a big year this year but I was dead wrong. Picked him on the 3/4 turn in a 12 team PPR snake draft. He has been a complete bum.

Damian Pierce: Also took him on the 3-4 turn. Total dud pick. I wasn't expecting him to be great or anything, but he was the first RB I took, and I kind of needed one at that point. I figured he was pretty good as a rookie and might step up in year two and if nothing else would be a high volume guy. I was wrong. He has been pure garbage.

My league is unusual in that you get 6 points for passing TDs (most leagues are 4), so you really need to have a good QB in my league. More often than not, our league champion has a clear top 4 or 5 QB in the league. I went with Mahomes this year, and of course I got him in probably his worst year in the league. I won't call that bad luck and I obviously own the pick, but given he was coming off an MVP season with largely the same group, it wasn't obvious to me that he'd happen to struggle this year.

My best picks were Achane (although he missed a lot of games), the Browns D (they've been huge for me), and Lamb. Kincaid was also decent where I got him as I whiffed on the top tight ends.

Definitely not my best year. I made some pretty clear mistakes.

TDToomer

I am winning my playoff matchup in both my leagues. One team I started 0-5 to finish 6-8 and sneak into the playoffs thanks to picking up LaPorta off waivers after week one and cutting bait on Kyle The Pitts. Tyreek Hill's injury paved the way for Waddle to go off yesterday. I also grabbed Kyron Williams off waivers after week 1 and stashed him on my IR while he was out and now he is my best player. And the most unthinking move I made was betting against the Giants offense this week and going with the Saints D. Also have Dak, Mixon, Racheed White, Drake London and the Cowboys kicker.

I am also winning in my other matchup where on paper I have the best team in the league. I lead the league in scoring but also in scored against so I actually had a 7-7 record. My opponent wasn't paying attention and wound up with Keenan Allen locked on his roster Thursday night even though he was inactive. I got banner days from Racheed White, Zach Moss, Amon St. Brown, Isaiah Likely and the Rams D. Average output from Mahomes, Puka, and stinker from Derek Henry.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

PSUBeirut

Yeah this has been an absolutely crazy year for injuries.  Our #1 seed in the playoffs just got knocked out because he had been riding Tyreek Hill and Keenan Allen all year. 

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: PSUBeirut on December 18, 2023, 10:05:04 AMYeah this has been an absolutely crazy year for injuries.  Our #1 seed in the playoffs just got knocked out because he had been riding Tyreek Hill and Keenan Allen all year. 

Same happened to me last year in dynasty. I rode Mahomes, Chase and Cupp. The latter two went down toward the end of the season and after a 10-0 start. I limped into the playoffs and was one and done in the divisional around.

Infuriating.

TDToomer

That is why both my leagues give a payout to the #1 seed. You cannot have the best team all year, lose in your first playoff name and come away with no money.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs