News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Let’s talk 2023 fantasy football

Started by Philosophers, July 14, 2023, 01:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 20, 2023, 11:32:13 AMI like that call. He's on my watch list too.

As of right now Quentin Johnston is still my number one pick for rookie WRs, simply because I like the situation he is in and could see him developing a quick rapport with Herbert (who is in a contract year). Flowers is not far behind for me though, mainly for the reasons you said. Part of me was kind of hoping we'd get him. I think he'll be really good.

I agree though I am less high on Quentin Johnston than others.  I dont think he dominated enough in college given his physicals.  He's in a damn good situation in San Diego with Herbert.  Wonder if he becomes the new go to guy or it reverts still through Ekeler and Allen.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on July 20, 2023, 12:09:46 PMI agree though I am less high on Quentin Johnston than others.  I dont think he dominated enough in college given his physicals.  He's in a damn good situation in San Diego with Herbert.  Wonder if he becomes the new go to guy or it reverts still through Ekeler and Allen.

Yup it's not a slam dunk, but I like the situation. Mike Williams is capable of big games but he's inconsistent and gets hurt a lot. Allen is getting older and can't separate like he once could (not saying he's not still good, which he clearly is). Ekeler is obviously very good but a different type of target. If Johnston is a dynamic athlete who is a decent sized target, I could see Herbert building a rapport with him quickly.

I like the Flowers call a lot too. I wouldn't say I'm much higher on Johnston than Flowers. I think both could be additive as fantasy starters this year, potentially.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 20, 2023, 01:51:49 PMYup it's not a slam dunk, but I like the situation. Mike Williams is capable of big games but he's inconsistent and gets hurt a lot. Allen is getting older and can't separate like he once could (not saying he's not still good, which he clearly is). Ekeler is obviously very good but a different type of target. If Johnston is a dynamic athlete who is a decent sized target, I could see Herbert building a rapport with him quickly.

I like the Flowers call a lot too. I wouldn't say I'm much higher on Johnston than Flowers. I think both could be additive as fantasy starters this year, potentially.

I've had some great pick ups over the years with rookies.

DaveBrown74

Do you guys expect Daniel Jones to be an every week starter in your leagues who starts for a team in your league in week one?

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 22, 2023, 07:18:03 AMDo you guys expect Daniel Jones to be an every week starter in your leagues who starts for a team in your league in week one?

Nope.  I dont see it.  In FFL, I dont think anyone will chance a QB with so little overall offensive productivity.  As you know, to win in FFL, you need a consistent 20 + point QB week in/out who also gets you a big week with 30+ points.

Is DJ capable of getting there with this new group of playmakers?  Yes but until he consistently performs, nobody will make that gamble.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on July 22, 2023, 11:43:10 AMNope.  I dont see it.  In FFL, I dont think anyone will chance a QB with so little overall offensive productivity.  As you know, to win in FFL, you need a consistent 20 + point QB week in/out who also gets you a big week with 30+ points.

Is DJ capable of getting there with this new group of playmakers?  Yes but until he consistently performs, nobody will make that gamble.

I would agree. I think he'll be a high end backup until he shows he can do the above.

Any very late round sleeper type QBs you're looking at?

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 22, 2023, 12:31:09 PMI would agree. I think he'll be a high end backup until he shows he can do the above.

Any very late round sleeper type QBs you're looking at?

My favorite later round QB (call it a fantasy QB probably out of top 15) is Jared Goff.  His 2022 season was a monster comeback following 2021 season where he threw 10 more TDs to 29 and nearly 1,200 more yards passing to over 4,400 yards.  Remember he did that with only one real WR in Amon St. Brown as Jameson Williams their star rookie WR was out until like week 12 still rehabbing from his ACL tear.  Williams is out for like first half due to gambling suspension but I think Amon St. Brown will be even better plus they got an absolute stud in Gibbs to run the ball (and catch it).  They also drafted Sam LaPorta at TE who was very productive in college and one of the really good pass catching TEs in college.  I can see him having a role early.  I would expect Goff to improve his stats even more.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on July 22, 2023, 12:55:20 PMMy favorite later round QB (call it a fantasy QB probably out of top 15) is Jared Goff.  His 2022 season was a monster comeback following 2021 season where he threw 10 more TDs to 29 and nearly 1,200 more yards passing to over 4,400 yards.  Remember he did that with only one real WR in Amon St. Brown as Jameson Williams their star rookie WR was out until like week 12 still rehabbing from his ACL tear.  Williams is out for like first half due to gambling suspension but I think Amon St. Brown will be even better plus they got an absolute stud in Gibbs to run the ball (and catch it).  They also drafted Sam LaPorta at TE who was very productive in college and one of the really good pass catching TEs in college.  I can see him having a role early.  I would expect Goff to improve his stats even more.

100% agree. Goff put up great numbers last year and there is no reason to expect him not to at least repeat them if not improve them even more. He'll get drafted before his ADP in my league though for sure.

Philosophers

So let me ask any veteran of fantasy football.  Do you ever sign up for a league in which you pick players now as oppose to a week or two before the season starts?  I wonder if it ever makes sense given preseason injuries that can occur.  I was a bit bored and thought I'd enter an ESPN one now but am rethinking.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on July 24, 2023, 01:32:18 PMSo let me ask any veteran of fantasy football.  Do you ever sign up for a league in which you pick players now as oppose to a week or two before the season starts?  I wonder if it ever makes sense given preseason injuries that can occur.  I was a bit bored and thought I'd enter an ESPN one now but am rethinking.

No. My league does its draft usually the Monday or Tuesday the week of the first Thursday night game.

As it is, luck (with injuries) is already a huge component of fantasy football. Our aim as a league has always been to minimize luck as much as possible. For that reason we do our draft once the final preseason games have been played.

I don't see any logical reason to do it sooner. I guess the appeal is that you can take a view on a young player before the rest of the country sees him in preseason games, and if you're right it pays off more than if you drafted that player after the final preseason game and his draft value is higher, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to talk on significantly more freak-injury risk. Tons of guys get hurt in the preseason, very often season-ending injuries. Why underwrite that risk if you don't have to?

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 24, 2023, 01:35:32 PMNo. My league does its draft usually the Monday or Tuesday the week of the first Thursday night game.

As it is, luck (with injuries) is already a huge component of fantasy football. Our aim as a league has always been to minimize luck as much as possible. For that reason we do our draft once the final preseason games have been played.

I don't see any logical reason to do it sooner. I guess the appeal is that you can take a view on a young player before the rest of the country sees him in preseason games, and if you're right it pays off more than if you drafted that player after the final preseason game and his draft value is higher, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to talk on significantly more freak-injury risk. Tons of guys get hurt in the preseason, very often season-ending injuries. Why underwrite that risk if you don't have to?

Thank you.  That was my thinking as well but wondered if I was missing something.  Ok so can plan away for next 5 weeks.

Jclayton92

Maybe all of us can do a fantasy league or a pick em weekly between us in a small setting.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 24, 2023, 04:19:06 PMMaybe all of us can do a fantasy league or a pick em weekly between us in a small setting.

I am personally a one league guy myself, but I was actually thinking this could be a great thread to keep alive all year as a place to bounce ideas/tips/info around each week. It would also be great to get people's thoughts on tough lineup decisions that come up.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 24, 2023, 05:12:00 PMI am personally a one league guy myself, but I was actually thinking this could be a great thread to keep alive all year as a place to bounce ideas/tips/info around each week. It would also be great to get people's thoughts on tough lineup decisions that come up.
I was more thinking of like a 5 dollar pick em pool kinda thing for fun just pick the wins and losses  etc

ralphpal1

I like drafting after the third preseason games just to see how players are used
Also to see of rookie rbs can pick up the blitz
Everyone is high on B Robinson the rookie rb
But just say he can't pick up the blitz. Fumbles a few times on the Goal line