News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Great Quotes

Started by Bob In PA, July 24, 2023, 12:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 28, 2023, 11:51:12 AMAny idea who said these?

I will re-post and add names if I can find them
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jolly Blue Giant

"Knowing the answers will help you in school. Knowing how to question will help you in life" (Warren Berger)

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" (Denis Diderot)

"Curiosity is a willing, a proud, and eager confession of ignorance" (Leonard Rubinstein)

"Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton asked why" (Bernard Baruch)

"Curiosity is the foundation of real learning and substantial knowledge" (Jolly Blue Giant)

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on August 28, 2023, 11:49:47 AM"Knowing the answers will help you in school. Knowing how to question will help you in life"

Absolutely love that one.  =D>

Jolly Blue Giant

"Common sense is not all that common" (author unknown)

"Common sense is in spite of, not as the result of education" Victor Hugo

"It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense" Robert Ingersoll

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" Albert Einstein

"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are: Hard work, Perseverance, and Common sense" Thomas Edison

Ed Vette

"Drink water from the spring where horses drink. The horse will never drink bad water. Lay your bed where the cat sleeps. Eat the fruit that has been touched by a worm. Boldly pick the mushroom on which the insects sit. Plant the tree where the mole digs. Build your house where the snake sits to warm itself. Dig your fountain where the birds hide from the heat. Go to sleep and wake up at the same time with the birds – you will reap all of the days' golden grains. Eat more green – you will have strong legs and a resistant heart, like the beings of the forest. Swim often and you will feel on earth like the fish in the water. Look at the sky as often as possible and your thoughts will become light and clear. Be quiet a lot, speak little – and silence will come in your heart, and your spirit will be calm and full of peace."
    ~Saint Seraphim of Sarov
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 01, 2023, 08:37:20 PM"Drink water from the spring where horses drink. The horse will never drink bad water. Lay your bed where the cat sleeps. Eat the fruit that has been touched by a worm. Boldly pick the mushroom on which the insects sit. Plant the tree where the mole digs. Build your house where the snake sits to warm itself. Dig your fountain where the birds hide from the heat. Go to sleep and wake up at the same time with the birds – you will reap all of the days' golden grains. Eat more green – you will have strong legs and a resistant heart, like the beings of the forest. Swim often and you will feel on earth like the fish in the water. Look at the sky as often as possible and your thoughts will become light and clear. Be quiet a lot, speak little – and silence will come in your heart, and your spirit will be calm and full of peace."
    ~Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Ed: Outstanding. I never heard that before. It's both quaint and deep at the same time. A rare quality. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch  ---John Madden

The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.--John Madden

It is essential to understand that battles are primarily won in the hearts of men.--Vince Lombardi

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.--Vince Lombardi

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D Eisenhower

And one of my favorites--You can observe a lot by just watching.-Yogi Berra
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on September 04, 2023, 05:18:59 PMAnd one of my favorites--You can observe a lot by just watching.-Yogi Berra
Lenn: Generally speaking, a good number of quotes attributed to Lawrence Peter were not actually said by him.

I believe the one you put forth actually was said.

I seem to remember it happened in training camp long, long long ago. LOL

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Sem

"You need leaders who are masters of their politics, not prisoners of their ideologies."  -Aaron David Miller, Middle East analyst and negotiator

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on September 21, 2023, 11:47:00 AM"You need leaders who are masters of their politics, not prisoners of their ideologies."  -Aaron David Miller, Middle East analyst and negotiator

Good one. I don't know who said it, but it's along the same line: "We don't need more politicians, we need more statesmen"

The 4 qualities of a statesman: https://www.artofmanliness.com/career-wealth/leadership/the-4-qualities-of-a-true-statesman/

We've had a few in my time, Patrick Moynihan immediately comes to mind. I used to write him on occasion in the mid-70's and disagreed with some of his decisions (like giving away the Panama Canal). He always replied with a handwritten note that was very kind, and would explain why he made the decision he did, and then thanking me for the letter I wrote. I had extreme respect for the man, even though we didn't agree on everything in politics. Oh how I wish those kinds of politicians were around today. Newsflash: there ain't!  :(

Closest ones I can think of, but he's no longer in politics is former U.S. Congressman Harold Ford Jr., or Bob Dole who never got the respect he deserved. Where have all the statesmen gone  :-??

LennG

I also believe John McCain was one, except when he sold his soul trying to become President. After he lost, he regained a lot of what he had given up. He always had the respect of everyone.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss