News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Hyatt hit 24 mph

Started by MightyGiants, July 31, 2023, 04:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSUBeirut

Feels like urban legend type material but God let's hope it's true. From the camp clips I saw he has good hands and feet control also.

Jolly Blue Giant

Top end speed takes the top off the defense because no one can catch up at the speed Hyatt is showing. Once he's past the last defender, he's gone...and there ain't nothing the defense can do about it except dive helplessly to try and catch a piece of his heel to trip him up. He's going to be fun to watch if Jones has enough time to wait and then lets it fly
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ralphpal1

What can make J Hyatt very dangerous is his hands
We all see speed played not play up to their potential cause something is lacking
I think Hyatt has very berry good hands and knows how to go up for the ball

Dgoodmantrublu

Not just great hands, but he tracks the ball very well. A very underrated skill.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 01, 2023, 04:00:01 PMHe ran that with a slight injury. He plays faster than 4.4.

I have no doubt. Schoen watched him from the sideline in the Bama game and he said he's a 4.3 guy.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 01, 2023, 06:11:52 PMI have no doubt. Schoen watched him from the sideline in the Bama game and he said he's a 4.3 guy.

Going out on a limb here, but I am betting that in two years, he'll be our clear no.1 WR. He's only 21 yrs old and is still green in the NFL. But he set school records in the SEC, and that doesn't happen by just being fast and athletic. He's got something upstairs to go with that raw ability. What a perfect clump of clay for our coaches to mold into a superstar
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on August 02, 2023, 08:16:53 AMGoing out on a limb here, but I am betting that in two years, he'll be our clear no.1 WR. He's only 21 yrs old and is still green in the NFL. But he set school records in the SEC, and that doesn't happen by just being fast and athletic. He's got something upstairs to go with that raw ability. What a perfect clump of clay for our coaches to mold into a superstar

Personally, I don't think it's that big of a limb. As far as who is on the team now, who is his primary competition for that? Schoen was clearly very high on him and at one point (if memory serves) said they hadn't ruled him out for their first round pick. I think they felt compelled to take Schmitz in the second round and have no regrets about doing so. They needed a pro-ready center in the worst way. I think he was shocked when he realized he was obtainable in the third round. I think he had a much higher grade than that. And he's clearly (so far) living up to this billing in camp. So I won't be surprised at all if he's our top guy at the position in two years. I'd say the main risk to that is they draft some elite stud in one of the next two drafts.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on August 02, 2023, 08:16:53 AMGoing out on a limb here, but I am betting that in two years, he'll be our clear no.1 WR. He's only 21 yrs old and is still green in the NFL. But he set school records in the SEC, and that doesn't happen by just being fast and athletic. He's got something upstairs to go with that raw ability. What a perfect clump of clay for our coaches to mold into a superstar
Two years? Maybe sooner. Taking Waller out, I rank him clearly behind just Slayton and Campbell after just 6 days. He's in the conversation with Hodgins, Shep and Crowder and I think he's got much more upside than them. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 02, 2023, 08:41:14 AMTwo years? Maybe sooner. Taking Waller out, I rank him clearly behind just Slayton and Campbell after just 6 days. He's in the conversation with Hodgins, Shep and Crowder and I think he's got much more upside than them. 

Ed - on talent alone, In not sure Hyatt is behind anyone.  How can he be behind Slayton, the guy most of us would have been happy to see traded last preseason due to his inconsistency?  Hyatt has much better hands and body control.

All he needs is to continue to learn the pro game.

DaveBrown74

As far as guys who have played meaningful snaps in the NFL, we don't presently have any receivers who are going to really scare anyone (I'm not counting Waller as a "receiver" in that statement).

That's not to say we don't have good receivers - on the contrary, we have more depth now than we've had any time in recent memory, and we have a number of guys who are definitely no worse than good.

But Hyatt to me represents a player with more upside than any other wide receiver we have. He has a chance to be special if things pan out. I wouldn't say that about any other wide receiver on the team right now. Wan'Dale is interesting and could end up being a really nice player and very effective, but "special" is not a word I would use with him. Same with Hodgins, whom I really like quite a bit. To me he can be a high end WR2, but he's not going to ever be elite IMO. Slayton is a nice player but he kind of is what he is at this point.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on August 02, 2023, 08:59:41 AMEd - on talent alone, In not sure Hyatt is behind anyone.  How can he be behind Slayton, the guy most of us would have been happy to see traded last preseason due to his inconsistency?  Hyatt has much better hands and body control.

All he needs is to continue to learn the pro game.
If I had to do a depth chart at this point, that would be where I would have him slotted. As one of the top three receivers behind Slayton and Campbell based in what they have showed at camp so far. I agree his ceiling is higher.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Dgoodmantrublu

I wonder how often we will have Slayton, Hyatt and Campbell all on the field. Combined with Waller and Barkley, that speed could be very hard to deal with.

ViewFromSection129

I know it is incredibly early in camp, but I have been very impressed by his hands on some of the catches I have seen.  Honestly, that is the thing I have enjoyed more than his speed.  I think he has a very high ceiling, and is clearly incredibly young... I look forward to seeing if he can develop into something more than just a fly pattern guy.  Regardless, this looks to be a great draft pick for Schoen... hopefully he develops into someone that should have been taken in round one...

Dgoodmantrublu

Yep. His hands and ball tracking set him apart from most speed guys.

Quote from: ViewFromSection129 on August 02, 2023, 12:11:11 PMI know it is incredibly early in camp, but I have been very impressed by his hands on some of the catches I have seen.  Honestly, that is the thing I have enjoyed more than his speed.  I think he has a very high ceiling, and is clearly incredibly young... I look forward to seeing if he can develop into something more than just a fly pattern guy.  Regardless, this looks to be a great draft pick for Schoen... hopefully he develops into someone that should have been taken in round one...

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE