News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Evan Neal in concussion protocol

Started by MightyGiants, August 04, 2023, 01:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Hopefully they shut him down for two weeks. He's too important to the team this year to risk him picking up a second one in pre season.

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on August 04, 2023, 01:58:53 PMHopefully they shut him down for two weeks. He's too important to the team this year to risk him picking up a second one in pre season.

Pert did very well filling in for him
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 04, 2023, 02:04:52 PMPert did very well filling in for him

Even if Pert was a turnstile I'd still hold Neal out for two weeks. It's nice to know that Pert played well though. A bit surprising considering how awful he was last year before hurting his knee.

WheresDayne

Getting a concussion the minute pads are put on is not good, i hope this kid isn't snake bit and this is a one off and good to get out of the way early!

DaveBrown74

I don't like hearing that Neal was concussed, but on the other hand it's good news that it wasn't some significant lower body type injury that could potentially put the early part of his season in jeopardy (or worse than that).

I like what I'm hearing about Peart. Serviceable swing tackle is a major need.

Dgoodmantrublu

I won't believe in Peart until I see it. His one on one reps the other day looked awful.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

He was praised by Daboll as to his progress and word ethic.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Assuming all the accolades I have been hearing about Neal and all the positive projections play themselves out on the field, I think our O line could be pretty solid this year.

Ed Vette

The silver lining is that it will sort out the backup position. I'll be watching that today at camp.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 05, 2023, 07:25:18 AMThe silver lining is that it will sort out the backup position. I'll be watching that today at camp.

I'm looking forward to hearing your always sharp observations to that end, Ed.

While it's a shame Neal was concussed, there is definitely a silver lining if it can be learned that Peart has finally taken the step forward that we have all been hoping for for the past few years.

kartanoman

A concussion is not a silver lining. It is an injury to one's brain. The least of it is the individual becomes a statistic on the team's lost man-days due to injury metric; one of the most important, and universally used measure in safety. I know we wish Evan only the very best in that he takes all the time he needs to fully recover and I'm confident Ronnie Barnes' team will not release him for duty until he is completely ready and concussion symptom-free.

I'm focusing on the concussion protocols, and the importance of teams abiding by them, as I've continued to watch the Australian Football League, which is in its final month before their playoffs begin, and I've witnessed two players (one older, one very young) retire mid-season due to the effects of concussion on their person. Another story involved a team which did NOT follow concussion protocol and sent a player back onto the field after he crashed heads into one of his teammates (NOTE: the teammate was immediately put in concussion protocol). It was shocking to see and the league investigated and determined the team doctor made a mistake by not placing the second player in concussion protocol. The team was heavily fined for this mistake and the league is going to reemphasize to all teams that rules of engagement for determining to employ concussion protocol on an injured player are clear and must be followed. I'll close by saying that the AFL has one of the most effective concussion protocols employed in sport in the entire world.

The NFL also has pushed to improve player safety through its own concussion protocols as well as employing risk mitigating measures such as the pads on the helmets during training camp. If one of those pads prevents a concussion, no matter how silly they might look, they will have done their job to increase a player's safety.

Having had my own bell rung no less than a half dozen times playing sport, with each subsequent event, it took longer to recover and the symptoms of eyes hurting in the light, headaches, dizziness and even slight depression are all very real symptoms. Even trying to think or use my brain to problem solve was more challenging than normal.

I would challenge every team's Health, Medical and Well Being organization to continue to pro-actively work with the NFL's committees who research and study player injuries and focus on subsets, such as non-contact injuries or concussions, and strive every day to find ways to mitigate risk or, in some cases, eliminate it altogether with forward thinking ideas and/or new technologies.

I look forward to the day when I can come on here and read that Evan Neal had a full, good day at practice but, most importantly, a safe one.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

Bummer.  Neal needs these two weeks of practices to develop his skills more. 

DaveBrown74

Just to be clear, I was not saying the concussion IS the silver lining. I know how serious a thing a concussion is, and I made it clear that I thought it was a decidedly bad development that it happened to Neal.